Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1063 1064 [1065] 1066 1067 ... 1086

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!  (Read 1864702 times)

FArgHalfnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!
« Reply #15960 on: February 21, 2015, 07:36:35 pm »

Reported bug, something happened with worldgen and it doesn't change map seeds.

I guess that's also why I often get the same random names in the same order for worlds and characters.
FArgHalfnr for the #1 eldrich monstrocity.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15961 on: February 21, 2015, 07:37:27 pm »

I dunno I always figured the world's militaries as more or less capable of 'handling' the threat.  Not really handling it well enough to bounce back and take back places already overrun while also trying to fight worldwide panic and economic collapse, but I would be very surprised if trained, armed, and equipped soldiers with real military tanks aircraft and drones (I find it unlikely that once they saw the error they made programming the first set of drones they would continue making those mistakes with further sets) would be significantly pressed by what basically amounts to randomly wandering monsters with no overarching goal.

Groups of soldiers cut off behind enemy lines?  Sure I imagine that being a bad day, but entrenched soldiers with supply lines? No. 

While the haywire drones pose a major threat they seem perfectly happy to hang around their last ops location and don't have anything telling them to storm soldier lines in force if they aren't nearby, not to mention that the military probably has some of their own that ARE being commanded to strike in force if necessary. 

Zombies are barely a threat to a janitor with a paintball gun full of rocks, let alone a real soldier and once people know what's going on there will be no more surprise he was a zombie worries.

The demons and ooze may be threatening since we don't really have much hard info on their intelligence, but again from what we see of them ingame they don't seem interested in gathering up in significant numbers, and are still put down by a paintball gun full of marbles.  And the ever-present threat of random nether portals doesn't honestly seem all that ever-present.  I only see one every few games.

Trifflids and fungaloids seem to be the biggest threats as far as I can see, though they actually seem to be directly opposed to eachother instead of working together and only seem threatening to ground forces.  A helicopter with some napalm could wipe out a fungal spire by itself (hell aforementioned janitor with a paintball gun and a Molotov can do it) and a trifflid grove just needs some soldiers with flamethrowers and gasmasks to move in and clean up after.

tl;dr I don't see the human race getting wiped out by this.  In fact large pockets of society would still work just fine.  Instead of a humanity wiped out kinda thing I see society evolving to look more like you kinda see from dnd campaigns.  Population centers(not necessarily the same ones as before the cataclysm) are generally safe, as well as well patrolled roads.  But in sparsely populated areas and areas not regularly purged by adventuring types the locals would need some weapons for self defense.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2015, 07:49:21 pm by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

FArgHalfnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15962 on: February 21, 2015, 07:59:07 pm »

We know that a huge amount of abominations came out at the beginning. They eventually died due to the hostility of earth's climate, but not before slaughtering most of the population according to the wiki. I'd expect that the newly created portals all around the world also brought waves of these monsters, so seeing the army overwhelmed would not surprise me. If any military survived the initial wave however, they might have a good chance to take back the invaded areas.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15963 on: February 21, 2015, 08:18:51 pm »

I thought the whole point was most everywhere except New England was pretty much okay, but you're basically living in the Zone from STALKER and have no idea when/if the army will come back and settle things. Presumably "in real life" you could just get a car fixed up, raid a gas station, and head west until you found some kind of fortified border and ask for help (provided you wanted to risk getting shot or tossed in a lab... to get shot).
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

n9103

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam
« Reply #15964 on: February 21, 2015, 08:49:40 pm »

Unless something happened to the lore, the cataclysm itself was (at that point in time) confined to New England.
IIRC, there were plenty of other international incidents, but those were more conventional threats that generally did not have a widespread effect.

As for that janitor with the paintball rock-thrower... that might be OP. :P (I mean, a stray zombie or two, sure, but being able to assault a fungal tower? come on.)

KA101

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15965 on: February 21, 2015, 09:03:29 pm »

Thing is that the PC *doesn't know* how widespread the Cataclysm was.  You'll eventually find out that it's knocked out the whole eastern seaboard (Washington DC is likely overrun, though we don't expressly say that anywhere) but there's nothing on the global effects.

(We operate on the presumption that everywhere at least took the first hit, but they may have done better or worse than the US did in the New England region.)

Most of the US military was deployed to Korea at the time as that was getting awful close to a shooting war.  It's safe to assume any zombie soldiers you see are National Guard, and the tank drones are about it for heavy armor.  Abramses and such are Elsewhere.

Air power, sure, but with global infrastructure not happening where's the fuel going to come from?

FArgHalfnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15966 on: February 21, 2015, 09:54:18 pm »

Didn't it mention that portals started appearing all over the world? I'm pretty sure the weakening of space-time or whatever it's called caused new ones to pop everywhere.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #15967 on: February 21, 2015, 11:45:30 pm »

Personally I don't see the human race dying out totally, though I think they might be in for a tough time (and are pretty likely to become just one of the many different factions competing for ground).

FakeEdit: (Ok, originally this was just gonna be a little thing, but I kinda went off on a faction lore tangent. :P)
Game wise once we have a good evolving world over time I'd like to see some of the bigger and tougher faction enemies start to show up for their various different reasons. (Maybe it'll help give the people who complain about no end-game something to do :P).
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Angle

• Bay Watcher
  • 39 Indigo Spear Questions the Poor
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #15968 on: February 22, 2015, 12:02:42 am »

... Fascinating. Simply Fascinating.

Now I kinda wanna see a strategy game based around this...

Agora: open-source platform to facilitate complicated discussions between large numbers of people. Now with test site!

The Temple of the Elements: Quirky Dungeon Crawler

blazing glory

« Reply #15969 on: February 22, 2015, 12:15:40 am »

... Fascinating. Simply Fascinating.

Ditto.

Hopefully we'll be able to get our hands on some tech or bio-tech that allows us to see what parts of the map are controlled by who, with the borders composed of the factions fighting each other.

Angle

• Bay Watcher
  • 39 Indigo Spear Questions the Poor
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #15970 on: February 22, 2015, 12:23:56 am »

It'd also be really cool to be able to be a diplomat, and talk to a triffid heart as part of a peace deal or something.

Agora: open-source platform to facilitate complicated discussions between large numbers of people. Now with test site!

The Temple of the Elements: Quirky Dungeon Crawler

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #15971 on: February 22, 2015, 12:24:52 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #15972 on: February 22, 2015, 01:01:19 am »

This all sounds fantastic.

Get to it, guys. Chop chop.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15973 on: February 22, 2015, 02:26:16 am »

It'd also be really cool to be able to be a diplomat, and talk to a triffid heart as part of a peace deal or something.
Actually, as a tactical/strategic part of it, you should only be able to talk to the various factions when sufficently mutated/specific mutations towards that faction. For example, you need to be have the special mycal mutation to speak to the mycal hivemind, whereas Mi-Go diplomacy would require utilizing various techs, and perhaps bionics to impress them. Naturally, you probably won't be able to deal with all factions at once, so you'd need to recruit/convince other NPCs to help you negotiate between all the factions, and needless to say someone who's become mostly triffid is likely to sympathize with the triffids and be less then helpful trying to secure baseline human rights.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

blazing glory

« Reply #15974 on: February 22, 2015, 04:21:56 am »

Is it just me or does .22 feel slightly less like ammo for a pea-shooter now?
Pages: 1 ... 1063 1064 [1065] 1066 1067 ... 1086