Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1030 1031 [1032] 1033 1034 ... 1086

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!  (Read 1863538 times)

KA101

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!
« Reply #15465 on: December 30, 2014, 03:49:43 am »

Just landed some bugfixes.  Inventory should run a lot more smoothly now, thanks to quite a lot of hard work from Kevin.

Azated

• Bay Watcher
  • ohai der
    • View Profile
« Reply #15466 on: December 30, 2014, 07:19:34 am »

So I'd just finished arranging my house to keep everything within crafting range and stashing my weapons in the top left corner when I spotted this...

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

There's enough firepower in that cute little bugger to obliterate half of Europe, and that's not even my entire stash. I still have twice the amount of gear in the mine-fielded gas station to the south.
Then it happened. Then I cringed. Then I picked it up and beat him to death with it, and then his buddies, too.
You beat a man to death with his dick?

"I don't feel like myself. Maybe I should have Doc take a look at me" ~ Dreamy
 "You're gonna trust a dwarf that got his medical degree from a pickaxe?" ~ Bossy

Ivefan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15467 on: December 30, 2014, 12:32:54 pm »

So I'd just finished arranging my house to keep everything within crafting range and stashing my weapons in the top left corner when I spotted this...
There's enough firepower in that cute little bugger to obliterate half of Europe, and that's not even my entire stash. I still have twice the amount of gear in the mine-fielded gas station to the south.
I'd love to make a stash or base, But my playstyle is like locusts. Go forth and pillage all I need and might need and then go to the next area to repeat, and going back to a permanent base would simply just take a lot of time.

RoguelikeRazuka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15468 on: December 30, 2014, 01:50:51 pm »

Is there a typed tutorial(written by players) for this game? Like the quickstart article on DF's adventure mode on dfwk. I can't watch hour's videos frequently  :(
« Last Edit: December 30, 2014, 01:52:47 pm by RoguelikeRazuka »

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #15469 on: December 30, 2014, 01:55:26 pm »

http://www.wiki.cataclysmdda.com/index.php?title=Guides

The wiki is sometimes outdated and beware of spoilers, but it's how I learned the ropes.
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #15470 on: December 30, 2014, 02:04:16 pm »

Is there a printed tutorial(written by players) for this game? I can't watch hour's videos frequently  :(

There are a few outdated tutorials on the wiki, to which I will add the following advice:

-Start with good strength, decent[10ish] other attributes, Robust Genetics[If its your first time, you can ditch this if need be. Its more of a mid-late game thing.], Fast Healing and maybe something which makes you go faster as well as a point in Survival. Take a bunch of disadvantages, most allergies and food dislikes are harmless. EXCEPTIONS: Not liking vegetables, meat or eggs is a death sentence. Wheat allergy is less deadly, but still damaging.
-Smash the starting shelter for raw materials using a rock from outside.
-Make KNIFE SPEAR and a makeshift crowbar for opening doors, minimum.
-Collect anything which sounds useful from the surrounding town's outliers. A pot, Clean water and funnels are important for drinking supplies. Books are always good. A backpack or trenchcoat or ANYTHING which lets you carry more stuff is essential. You also need a sewing kit or wooden/bone needle for repairing stuff pretty quick too. Keep a look-out for any tools. They're ALL useful.
-Wait for Zeds to walk into a bush/counter/anything which slows them down then stabbity them while they're stuck
-If you run into a skeleton or skeleton dog, TAKE OFF YOUR WINTER COAT BEFORE FIGHTING IT. Otherwise they will probably kill you.
-Drag most of your stuff back to the starting shelter once its night and use the still-active terminal to read any books you may have found.
-If there's a nearby forest, [e]xamining undergrowth will keep you fed forever. Water is trickier. I usually use funnels[NOT makeshift funnels, they're shit.] to collect rainwater and then boil it into herbal tea.
-Lots of recipes call for a nearby fire. Don't ever start a fire inside. Use a digging stick to dig a shallow pit outside and start fires there. Fires don't spread as much when they're in pits. Keep a fire extinguisher/spare jug of water on hand just in case.
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15471 on: December 30, 2014, 02:07:08 pm »

Don't ever start a fire inside.
Unless you want to burn a house down, which can be useful if it's full of zombies who are chasing you.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #15472 on: December 30, 2014, 02:32:26 pm »

Not liking... eggs is a death sentence.
Explain, please.

Also, if I might say so, I'd like to add a few things:
-Your character may take morale penalties if you're hot. This is nothing at all, ignore it. The penalties are so small that they make almost no difference.
-Always keep your encumbrance really low, particularly torso encumbrance. I aim for 2, but going higher is OK if you can drop the stuff.
-Never use the "instructional magazines" that give you one skill level, like Glamopolitan and Alpha Male Monthly. They take AGES to read and it would probably be faster to grind the skills. (Outdoor Adventures is OK, because the Stone Axe comes in handy a lot if you're having trouble finding a wood or fire axe.)
-Once you can start raiding stores, make a beeline for any pawn shops you see. I have found medieval weapons (including, but not limited to zweihanders, battleaxes, and warhammers), rare clothing (army jackets are even better than trenchcoats), and more in those things. From what I can tell, they spawn any non-comestible items.
-After any big zombie fights, make sure you use [V] to check all their corpses at once for anything good (in particular, they often have cans of soda and food, tools, and flashlights you can raid for batteries.)
-You have likely heard the advice that you should butcher zombie corpses to stop them from coming back and for survival experience. If you have a bashing weapon instead of a cutting weapon and are in a tough situation, it's recommended to mash the corpses instead.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #15473 on: December 30, 2014, 02:36:58 pm »

Not liking... eggs is a death sentence.
Explain, please.

In the latest release, I've been surviving entirely off of scrambled eggs, wild vegetables and other stuff found from undergrowth. Not being able to eat scrambled eggs, which have a very high nutritional value, is a major disadvantage if you rely on undergrowth. Plus you can powder them to have a cache of stuff for winter. Eggs === good.
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

Ivefan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15474 on: December 30, 2014, 04:10:57 pm »

Preferences.
I've only used eggs for mutagens but I guess its useful if you're forced out into the woods.
It's kinda sad that food variation or any thing to motivate a variated diet isn't in the game, because right now I'm living on lasagna and water.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15475 on: December 30, 2014, 04:26:02 pm »

I'm partial to smoked black widow meat and water. I've got a stockpile for years.

wer6

• Bay Watcher
  • SCOUT DOESNT WANNA GIVE A KISS
    • View Profile
    • Pirate baaaayyyy!~
« Reply #15476 on: December 30, 2014, 04:57:43 pm »

I am curious on how you guys start up, me I build a spear, and go to town, fuck up zombies, get a gun, deal with the local shit and live off of the food I scavenge, I do have rather good sorting when it comes to inventory management, plus books are best, just don't have enough patience to live long enough to do crazy stuff/not enough time.
Just before leaving, Psysquid quickly summons a Burrito in his mouth.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15477 on: December 30, 2014, 05:08:26 pm »

Quarterstaff best staff. Does more damage than a spear, uses very mundane materials, and is bashing so can't get stuck.

EDIT: Oh, and the to-hit bonus is a godsend against children and rats and stuff. Little buggers are difficult to hit at first.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2014, 05:12:26 pm by Graknorke »
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15478 on: December 30, 2014, 05:10:22 pm »

And you can make a shocky version of it.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

wer6

• Bay Watcher
  • SCOUT DOESNT WANNA GIVE A KISS
    • View Profile
    • Pirate baaaayyyy!~
« Reply #15479 on: December 30, 2014, 05:12:19 pm »

The thing with spears is, if your good at it and have good strength, you can rapidly shiv a zombie, in the time it takes for you to clonk something, I shivved something with my spear three times! Then I run like scared mouse to bush.
Just before leaving, Psysquid quickly summons a Burrito in his mouth.
Pages: 1 ... 1030 1031 [1032] 1033 1034 ... 1086