Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1028 1029 [1030] 1031 1032 ... 1086

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!  (Read 1863493 times)

Lucidvizion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!
« Reply #15435 on: December 23, 2014, 04:31:14 pm »

The biggest reason for having a reality bubble at all is because there is a cost in cpu time and memory usage to process a turn for a game object.  So having a bigger bubble or more bubbles will definitely increase lag.

Kaitol

• Bay Watcher
  • Heya, Red.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15436 on: December 23, 2014, 06:05:26 pm »

I've always wondered though. Could you expand the memory bubble temporarily? Say when Firing a scoped weapon with a range further than the default reality bubble? Some lag only while aiming with super long-range weapons would be acceptable to me at least.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #15437 on: December 23, 2014, 07:02:33 pm »

I've always wondered though. Could you expand the memory bubble temporarily? Say when Firing a scoped weapon with a range further than the default reality bubble? Some lag only while aiming with super long-range weapons would be acceptable to me at least.
ESR has a range of fuckin' 90...

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15438 on: December 23, 2014, 07:18:25 pm »

ESR has a range of fuckin' 90...

I cast magic missile into the darkness.

Blaze

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chaos that Crawls up on you with a Smile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15439 on: December 23, 2014, 07:23:03 pm »

I cast magic missile into the darkness.
The magic missile strikes the edge of reality and bounces!
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15440 on: December 23, 2014, 10:26:52 pm »

The biggest reason for having a reality bubble at all is because there is a cost in cpu time and memory usage to process a turn for a game object.  So having a bigger bubble or more bubbles will definitely increase lag.

Increase lag by how much? I don't notice lag while moving, so .01 seconds of lag increased by even 1000% isn't going to bother me much

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #15441 on: December 23, 2014, 10:36:56 pm »

Increase lag by how much? I don't notice lag while moving, so .01 seconds of lag increased by even 1000% isn't going to bother me much
The main problem is exponential growth.  1x1 is 1 tile.  3x3 is 9 tiles.  5x5 is 25... increasing the reality bubble by 1 tile will cause a sharp rise in tile count.  If you increase the size, or make a whole new area, it stacks up quickly.  It's also most notable during long term actions, like reading or sleeping, which will slow to such a crawl that Windows thinks you've crashed, already, so more would be worse.

I do agree though, the -option- to do the Minecraft style "this chunk is active" would be nice.  And being able to temporarily draw a larger area to aim sniper rifles...

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15442 on: December 24, 2014, 05:14:39 am »

Well an easy solution is reading/crafting = temporarily smaller reality bubble. I think it would be worth it to at least make it an adjustable value so people can play around it and find a level that is good for them.

KA101

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15443 on: December 24, 2014, 09:51:06 pm »

Dynamically messing with the reality bubble isn't going to work: by rights a NPC with a long rifle should be permitted to snipe you from the same range that you could snipe xem, along with all the balance and processing issues associated with changing the radius that gets processed.

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15444 on: December 24, 2014, 11:28:00 pm »

Dynamically messing with the reality bubble isn't going to work: by rights a NPC with a long rifle should be permitted to snipe you from the same range that you could snipe xem, along with all the balance and processing issues associated with changing the radius that gets processed.
but but but... i want to make my reality bubble 3x3 so i can raid heavily populated town easily :( (Mwuahahaha)
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15445 on: December 25, 2014, 04:00:13 pm »

but but but... i want to make my reality bubble 3x3 so i can raid heavily populated town easily :( (Mwuahahaha)

And you will never see that zombie hulk until you walk into him.

Rez

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15446 on: December 25, 2014, 07:36:10 pm »

Then the hulk puts himself into stasis by punching jocan's character.

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15447 on: December 25, 2014, 07:43:20 pm »

Thats would be funny XD
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

Rez

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15448 on: December 25, 2014, 07:46:04 pm »

Can we activate this mode by saying "ZA WARUDO"?

KA101

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15449 on: December 25, 2014, 09:12:10 pm »

Thats would be funny XD

Would crash the game too.  :-(
Pages: 1 ... 1028 1029 [1030] 1031 1032 ... 1086