Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1027 1028 [1029] 1030 1031 ... 1086

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!  (Read 1863442 times)

SaberToothTiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Wannabe Shitposter
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!
« Reply #15420 on: December 23, 2014, 12:22:11 am »

Safeguarding: True Story.
I gaze into its milky depths, searching the wheat and sugar for the meanings I can never find.
It's like tea leaf divination, but with cartoon leprechauns.
There are only two sure things in life: death and taxes and lists and poor arithmetic and overlong jokes and poor memory and probably a few more things.

Biowraith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15421 on: December 23, 2014, 01:49:12 am »

I haven't actually tested that.

Fwiw, I have and it worked ok.  There was no has_two_arms flag involved (or if there was I didn't modify it and was still able to use two handed weapons again afterwards).

AlleeCat

• Bay Watcher
  • Black, the beast, descends from shadows...
    • View Profile
« Reply #15422 on: December 23, 2014, 04:59:13 am »

Any tips you guys can give to someone who has trouble surviving past Night 1? Besides avoiding cities like the plague, of course.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15423 on: December 23, 2014, 05:21:22 am »

Any tips you guys can give to someone who has trouble surviving past Night 1? Besides avoiding cities like the plague, of course.
In the shelter craft a makeshift crowbar, or just get a pipe. Break into a few outlying houses and grab: a bottle or a gallon jug (empty the contents), a rubber hose from the fridge you're going to smash with the crowbar, and a battery.
Siphon fuel from one of the cars you see in the cities and hit the road - walk the roads outside towns until you find a car with non-leaky tank (at least yellow condition) and storage battery (better than yellow).
Drive back to the town and siphon more fuel directly to your car. Drive over rare zombies or avoid if it's getting crowded.

Continue driving around the world and upgrade your car to something more robust like a humvee or armoured car. Eventually you'll come about lots of random shit lying by the road to gear up your character. Use your car to clear out zombies when you find it worthwile. Often you may just park your car by the windows to e.g. a gun shop and clear it out while the zombies are blocked by the car.

Just use your car all the time. Be the road warrior.

Azated

• Bay Watcher
  • ohai der
    • View Profile
« Reply #15424 on: December 23, 2014, 09:35:57 am »

I normally make the crowbar as above, but search for some sort of exterior shelter near a city and settle within the first day. Mansions are great because they're like mini-cities in one structure, Public Works are personally my favorite building ever because of the natural defense and high tool/vehicle part spawns, and then there's obviously labs, military bases, and LMOE shelters.

My advice is: Be prepared to die dozens of times until you get lucky. That's really how I play. Most of my characters die moments outside of the shelter; the four that didn't managed to make it to their second year.
Then it happened. Then I cringed. Then I picked it up and beat him to death with it, and then his buddies, too.
You beat a man to death with his dick?

"I don't feel like myself. Maybe I should have Doc take a look at me" ~ Dreamy
 "You're gonna trust a dwarf that got his medical degree from a pickaxe?" ~ Bossy

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #15425 on: December 23, 2014, 09:49:44 am »

A good tip to destroy zombies with your starting guy is the classic "burning shrub fight"

When you're followed by an undead, move next to a shrub, set it on fire and move so a zombie will enter the burning vegetation , you can hit the undead once without fear of retaliation (as it takes time to move through a shrub, so avoid getting into one if you're followed or it's the zombie that will get free hits on you) , and along the damage you'll make, the zombie will take fire damage too.

Then move to the next shrub and if the undead is still alive, repeat , set it on fire and lead the zombie into the shrub.

If you're out of fire-inducing items (matchbooks, lighter ...), leading undead into shrubs is still a valid tactic as you still get 1 free hit without retaliation while the zombie move into the shrub, once you hit, move next the next shrub and repeat.

With the shrub fighting tactic, you can clear parts of towns even if you don't have great weaponry.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2014, 09:51:33 am by Robsoie »

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #15426 on: December 23, 2014, 09:53:24 am »

And let us not forget the mighty window. Forcing zeds to attack you from a window will make sure only one of them attack you at a time, that you can hit them 2-3 time for everytime they hit you, and they might take some damage from the broken glass too.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #15427 on: December 23, 2014, 11:51:13 am »

Actually, shrubs and such have more than one free hit. Depending on how much move you have, you could get two or three, as the shrubs have... I think 300? 400? move penalty, so they have to use up 300/400 move points when in the shrub, and they get... like 100 per turn. Less once you've dealt a bunch of damage to them.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #15428 on: December 23, 2014, 02:42:53 pm »

Also, in the early game, beware of shockers, hulks, shocker hulks, and brutes.  I think the speed on the hulks and brutes was also upped a bit, so don't go near them if you can avoid it, while shockers will zap you with each hit if you're wielding a metal melee weapon like a crowbar unless you're also wearing rubber gloves, and the resulting paralysis can be a killer. 

As for other weapons, I've actually had some surprisingly good things come out of the cudgel in recent experimentals. 

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #15429 on: December 23, 2014, 02:46:46 pm »

Also, in the early game, beware of shockers, hulks, shocker hulks, and brutes.  I think the speed on the hulks and brutes was also upped a bit, so don't go near them if you can avoid it, while shockers will zap you with each hit if you're wielding a metal melee weapon like a crowbar unless you're also wearing rubber gloves, and the resulting paralysis can be a killer. 

As for other weapons, I've actually had some surprisingly good things come out of the cudgel in recent experimentals.
CUDGEL.

Better than KNIFESPEAR.

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15430 on: December 23, 2014, 02:49:07 pm »

CUDGEL.

Better than KNIFESPEAR.
Really? I may have to test it some day.

Rez

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15431 on: December 23, 2014, 03:07:54 pm »

My experience is that the cudgel doesn't do nearly enough damage to be reliable.  Quick strikes are cool, but I found myself unable to damage any [profession] zombies with it.  Perhaps, it would be better when combined with a martial art and absurd strength values.

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #15432 on: December 23, 2014, 03:37:16 pm »

My experience is that the cudgel doesn't do nearly enough damage to be reliable.  Quick strikes are cool, but I found myself unable to damage any [profession] zombies with it.  Perhaps, it would be better when combined with a martial art and absurd strength values.

Its stuns on every other blow for me. More useful to me than trying to out-damage a zombie.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15433 on: December 23, 2014, 03:39:56 pm »

To lay out how how every cataclysm game should start if you spawn outside a city:

- Make sure your character has the fleet-footed and quick perks. The ability to kite zombies is endlessly useful. Also make sure to take some fabrication skill, as  think you need that to make gook weapons like the knife spear or the nailboard.

- find a house as detached as possible from the closest city. Basically one you can walk up to the back without being seen by whatever is in the streets.

- kill any zombies that can see you as you move to the back of the house. Try to lure one at a time (on the compass the direction turns red if they spot you) and lead them onto bushes, which should give you 1-2 free hits and let you kill them without taking any damage.

- Once all the zombies are dead, smash the window twice to clear it out and enter the house, looting clothing with large volume and low encumbrance, plus any food, medicine, and other things of interest.

- repeat

- once full on items, bring everything back to shelter, as it has plenty of counters making it easy to sort your piles of loot out and has a computer which gives off light for reading books. A great base. Just make sure you close all the windows so nothing sees you.

Also, I've noticed that the roguebasin page for this game is horribly outdated.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15434 on: December 23, 2014, 04:05:20 pm »

On a different topic.... Would it be possible to increase the size of the reality bubble, and perhaps allow a function that would form reality bubbles in certain areas? It's hard for me to imagine it causing lag.
Pages: 1 ... 1027 1028 [1029] 1030 1031 ... 1086