Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 986 987 [988] 989 990 ... 1086

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!  (Read 1863208 times)

Blaze

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chaos that Crawls up on you with a Smile.
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!
« Reply #14805 on: November 22, 2014, 01:26:53 am »

SERIOUS QUESTION!  Is there a way to give this thing a decent swing speed, maybe even in the 500's, but make it so that you need like 20+ strength to wield it?  And without sufficient strength, you'd swing it slower/softer?  It's a shame strength/dex doesn't factor into swing speed at all...
Aside from making a new recipe+item? Swing speed is calculated from the item's weight. The more it weighs, the slower it swings.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14806 on: November 22, 2014, 12:16:56 pm »

(Also, is this normal?)
Mi-gos spawn in labs and around dead science teams(which you had near your shelter). Bad luck. Or good luck, since you made off with some loot.

BWAHAHAHAHA
Best discovery, i just found out that, while otherwise a worthless melee weapon, this anvil i found has FOURTY bashing power. With this i can smash through normal house walls in a single blow! PASTEL SMASH! (Character is named pastel)
And given my current equipment it only barely over encumbers me, excellent
Edit: son of a.... damnit. Murdered by a zombie in the darkness as safemode failed to prevent me from wasting ten turns trying to hit it, ugh

ADOM has a thing were you can throw anvils at doors to destroy them, breaking any traps in the process(<your god> help you if it happened to be a swarmer room). Also, safemode doesn't stop you from attacking if you can't see it, or if you're already ignoring it, I think. I always have it off anyway.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

MikaTheCrazy

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't know why this is my avatar now
    • View Profile
« Reply #14807 on: November 22, 2014, 01:08:56 pm »

Well, after getting away from the mi-go spawncampers, I started to circle through some forest to get a better way into town, got chased around by a moose for a bit, and burnt to death a zombie hulk along with a house. I then paid a visit to the local pawn shop, got a zweihander and triggered an alarm, which managed to bring in both a shocker and spitter zombie. I hastily made my retreat back into the forests, with a giant sword, a couple acid burns and a lack of eyebrows to show for it.

For some reason, an eyebot seems to have made it's way into the middle of the forest with me, how far do those things search around the area of an alarm?
Okay fine, maybe I'm too lazy to find something to put here.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14808 on: November 22, 2014, 01:32:47 pm »

For some reason, an eyebot seems to have made it's way into the middle of the forest with me, how far do those things search around the area of an alarm?
In my experience eyebots are a lot like bears in slightly older versions - once you clear out local zombies, they just spawn in the area and wander around.  There's seriously like 8 that hang out a block away from my base.

Angle

• Bay Watcher
  • 39 Indigo Spear Questions the Poor
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #14809 on: November 22, 2014, 02:15:11 pm »

I'm hanging out at a shelter, and I keep hearing explosions in the forest. I can't see anything that looks like it'd cause explosions, or any holes in the ground. I also don't have schizophrenia. Anyone know what's causing my invisible explosions?

Agora: open-source platform to facilitate complicated discussions between large numbers of people. Now with test site!

The Temple of the Elements: Quirky Dungeon Crawler

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14810 on: November 22, 2014, 02:17:25 pm »

I'm hanging out at a shelter, and I keep hearing explosions in the forest. I can't see anything that looks like it'd cause explosions, or any holes in the ground. I also don't have schizophrenia. Anyone know what's causing my invisible explosions?
Squirrels and land mines, most likely.  They can be a distance away, they're loud.

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #14811 on: November 22, 2014, 02:27:12 pm »

You'd think the land mines would have a bit lower sensitivity than to be triggered by squirrels.
Nothing important here, move along.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #14812 on: November 22, 2014, 02:28:20 pm »

Pretty sure squirrels, bunnies, and other TINY creatures don't trigger land mines anymore (though wolves and such might).
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14813 on: November 22, 2014, 02:28:57 pm »

Plus, it would depend entirely on the type of mine, something not in the game.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14814 on: November 22, 2014, 02:36:19 pm »

1000th page[With default PPP, don't hit me.]!

On topic, which martial art would you recommend for a purely unarmed character? I've had lots of success with Karate in the last stable version and someone mentioned Judo as being useful a few pages ago. My modus operandi in most games is starting a metric fuckton of characters to try out different builds. Which doesn't work as well with this, since the beginning of the game has a high fatality rate.

Also.

Hospitals. My least favourite large building. Full of medical supplies, which would be neat if I decided to go down that mutagen path later. But also full of boomers, which means I spent nearly an in-game day with my screen covered in magenta. And spitters, which means that I went through my entire supply of leather patches repairing my boots over and over again. Nothing BUT boomers and spitters. Is this intentional or was I just unlucky with the spawnrates?
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #14815 on: November 22, 2014, 02:38:20 pm »

I'm fairly certain that's intended. Can't you protect from boomers with goggles?

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14816 on: November 22, 2014, 02:39:03 pm »

Once you get to ~4 skill, Krav Maga is REALLY powerful. If you start with Blackbelt profession and Self-Defense Classes perk, you spawn with 8 Unarmed, Melee, and Dodge, and that unlocks all the potential of Krav Maga, and you can wreck everything that isn't electrified.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #14817 on: November 22, 2014, 02:39:54 pm »

I usually get a buttload of shockers spawn when exploring a hospital.

I'm also pretty sure I've seen dogs trigger land mines, and they should be slightly smaller than wolves, so yeah.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14818 on: November 22, 2014, 02:48:53 pm »

Hospitals. My least favourite large building. Full of medical supplies, which would be neat if I decided to go down that mutagen path later. But also full of boomers, which means I spent nearly an in-game day with my screen covered in magenta. And spitters, which means that I went through my entire supply of leather patches repairing my boots over and over again. Nothing BUT boomers and spitters. Is this intentional or was I just unlucky with the spawnrates?

Certain locations have certain critters with higher relative spawn rates.

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14819 on: November 22, 2014, 02:51:37 pm »

I'm fairly certain that's intended. Can't you protect from boomers with goggles?

Didn't have any on me. Was wearing shades, since they were the best eyewear I'd yet found. I think I did run across some ballistic glasses later in the hospital itself though. Would those work?

EDIT: Looking at the wiki page for it, Krav Maga looks really neat. Not sure I want to sink 8 points into the Blackbelt path, but I'll check it out. Two starting points in Unarmed and Melee[And possibly Dodge, since that's hard to raise] should be enough to give me a decent chance of survival[Block + Rapid Strike] early game.
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling
Pages: 1 ... 986 987 [988] 989 990 ... 1086