Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 985 986 [987] 988 989 ... 1086

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!  (Read 1863378 times)

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!
« Reply #14790 on: November 21, 2014, 06:28:49 pm »

BWAHAHAHAHA
Best discovery, i just found out that, while otherwise a worthless melee weapon, this anvil i found has FOURTY bashing power. With this i can smash through normal house walls in a single blow! PASTEL SMASH! (Character is named pastel)
And given my current equipment it only barely over encumbers me, excellent
Edit: son of a.... damnit. Murdered by a zombie in the darkness as safemode failed to prevent me from wasting ten turns trying to hit it, ugh

Ah yes, the fatal anvil weapon. Fatal to its wielder as you spend precious seconds getting it up to speed.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14791 on: November 21, 2014, 07:06:45 pm »

Modern blacksmiths tend to use automatic anvil-hammers, which is basically two heavy pieces of metal that pump up and down.

So basically hammering with an anvil.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #14792 on: November 21, 2014, 07:14:13 pm »

I'm pretty sure only the top one pumps up and down. The bottom end's an actual anvil.

It basically lets you not have to swing the hammer yourself, and the piston works a lot faster than a human hand can so you can also get the forging done a lot faster and with less need to re-heat the metal.
Nothing important here, move along.

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14793 on: November 21, 2014, 08:01:51 pm »

Modern blacksmiths tend to use automatic anvil-hammers, which is basically two heavy pieces of metal that pump up and down.

So basically hammering with an anvil.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_8k1nv7xzjw#t=90  Something like that?
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

Tnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14794 on: November 21, 2014, 08:53:00 pm »

Does storing my food in the basement of the shelter effectively freeze its spoilage when I'm not down there?

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #14795 on: November 21, 2014, 08:56:26 pm »

I'm not sure. The reality bubble is determined by z-level IIRC - so being on the surface should mean the underground is unloaded.
That said, basements seem kind of buggy in general. I've had issues where basements reset or replace themselves with different ones, and it's been discussed at one point on this thread too.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Angle

• Bay Watcher
  • 39 Indigo Spear Questions the Poor
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #14796 on: November 21, 2014, 08:59:01 pm »

Does storing my food in the basement of the shelter effectively freeze its spoilage when I'm not down there?

No, spoilage is independent of the reality bubble. IIRC, Items have a date for their creation, and this is checked against the current date to heck for spoilage.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2014, 09:03:06 pm by Angle »

Agora: open-source platform to facilitate complicated discussions between large numbers of people. Now with test site!

The Temple of the Elements: Quirky Dungeon Crawler

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14797 on: November 21, 2014, 09:01:47 pm »

Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #14798 on: November 21, 2014, 09:05:59 pm »

No, spoilage is independent of the reality bubble. IIRC, Items have a date for their creation, and this is checked against the current date to heck for spoilage.
Okay. Good to know.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Tnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14799 on: November 21, 2014, 09:06:27 pm »

I'm not sure. The reality bubble is determined by z-level IIRC - so being on the surface should mean the underground is unloaded.
That said, basements seem kind of buggy in general. I've had issues where basements reset or replace themselves with different ones, and it's been discussed at one point on this thread too.

Aw crap, so I shouldn't store my stuff in the basement at all?  I recall a long time ago where collected loot would disappear for some reason, is this still happening?

Thanks for answering!

Ruludos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14800 on: November 21, 2014, 09:52:42 pm »

So, awkward question time. I just built a small vehicle from scratch, and discovered that I built it sideways. Is there a quick and easy way to flip it, or do I have to pull it apart and put it back together properly?

nomoetoe

• Bay Watcher
  • Victorian Walrus
    • View Profile
« Reply #14801 on: November 21, 2014, 10:05:44 pm »

Hey, since we now have jumper cables, couldn't we make solar farm full of storage batteries and when your solar vehicle gets low on charge you could just use your jumper cables and transfer the power of the solar farm to your vehicle? :o I must do dis, I'll need it when I make a bunch of crazy vehicles for the heck of it. Death, Pain. Dewm.

edit: also is it just me or are hordes really dangerous. :o
« Last Edit: November 22, 2014, 09:38:50 am by nomoetoe »
The most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. At least that's what the restraining order says.

Sindain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14802 on: November 21, 2014, 10:57:12 pm »

edit: also is it just me or are hordes really dangerous. :o

They really are, that's why I like em. They remain a (mild) threat even to late game characters. Unfortunately this means that in the early game the only option you really have is to run away.
"just once I'd like to learn a lesson without something exploding."

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14803 on: November 21, 2014, 11:18:54 pm »

Using an anvil as a hammer... probably not the silliest thing I've ever seen.
http://i.imgur.com/GIBOWnD.png

SERIOUS QUESTION!  Is there a way to give this thing a decent swing speed, maybe even in the 500's, but make it so that you need like 20+ strength to wield it?  And without sufficient strength, you'd swing it slower/softer?  It's a shame strength/dex doesn't factor into swing speed at all...

MikaTheCrazy

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't know why this is my avatar now
    • View Profile
« Reply #14804 on: November 22, 2014, 01:14:53 am »

Started up a new character, I immediately find a backpack in the basement. I then wander outside to get a rock, and there is a mi-go right outside the shelter. I tried to lead it through a window, but it simply smashed down the wall, saying "anything else?" as if to taunt my efforts to slow it. In the end I managed to escape out the other side of the shelter while it was smashing apart all the furniture, and I even managed to get some stuff from the corpses littering the area, including a CBM. I think I'll avoid that area for a while, maybe try loot the other nearby shelter.

edit: after wandering around finding bears and wasps, (the wasp was in a town, so there is probably a nest) I have found another mi-go near a shelter, I swear these things are spawncampers. (Also, is this normal?)
« Last Edit: November 22, 2014, 01:37:14 am by MikaTheCrazy »
Okay fine, maybe I'm too lazy to find something to put here.
Pages: 1 ... 985 986 [987] 988 989 ... 1086