Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 973 974 [975] 976 977 ... 1086

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!  (Read 1863127 times)

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!
« Reply #14610 on: November 18, 2014, 02:45:04 am »

From what I understand, there are two methods to learn Martial arts during a game.

First is from books found in Dojos, and possibly other locations. It has been a while since I played, but I when I did you could learn three different styles total at dojos. Not sure if other books are available at other training style locations.

Second, is from NPCs, though I've never used this method and haven't seen it used lately. I recall seeing on the Wiki that they can teach, but not likelihood or what styles. I presume it would be any they knew.

Actually, could it be possible to have NPCs teach other traits? Like, give parkour multiple levels, and leave the best one in Chargen, but let NPCs teach various levels of it up to Expert. And maybe other traits? Like a way to get rid of illiterate, albiet extremely expensive and possibly hard to maintain.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #14611 on: November 18, 2014, 07:29:27 am »

Downloaded the new version and started with the random character option.

I started in a shelter, talked to the NPC there and checked his items, he had a crossbow, then went downstairs to see what items i could get in the basement.
I noticed immediately something was wrong, in the dark there were those yellow ? , hinting of noise, i waited a bit to see what was going to pop up, maybe another NPC, but no .. zombie !

I ran up and went next to the NPC when i saw not 1 but 3 zombies following me !
The NPC shot a bolt
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Bravely i went to check the exit door :D  while the NPC was fighting, taking lots of hits between 2 of his crossbow shots due to the long reloading.
But to my surprise he managed to kill 2 of the zombies , went to help with the 3rd but just as i went to contact for a punch, the zombie decided to stop hitting the NPC and hit me instead, taking some pain i moved back and the zombie finally murdered my friendly NPC

I went outside with the zombie following and using all the shrubs and small trees to get free hits on the zombie i finally killed it without a single problem

A dog was watching, i prefered to get back into the shelter instead of trying to interact with the animal just in case he went hostile suddenly

Once back at the shelter i decided to clean up a bit and move the corspes outside, i grabbed the NPC, moved slowly out and dropped the body there
I went back inside and tried to grab a zombie corspe but impossible "too heavy" , huh ? what's going on , can't even drag a corpse out ?

I checked my stats and noticed something strange, my strength was now 2 (it wasn't like that at all before) and more alarming i had a lots of problems crippling my character :

Wait, how did all of this happened ?
I moved the NPC out, so whatever happened must have been just after that (as if i had that 2 in strength i wouldn't have been able to move the body)

And the "Amphetamine Withdrawal" ... what ? my character didn't had any junkie/drug addict trait and didn't touched any of those.

What is going on ?
« Last Edit: November 18, 2014, 07:31:01 am by Robsoie »

wer6

• Bay Watcher
  • SCOUT DOESNT WANNA GIVE A KISS
    • View Profile
    • Pirate baaaayyyy!~
« Reply #14612 on: November 18, 2014, 08:40:55 am »

Yeeep, look in the upper left corner "Tweaker"
Means you did drugs before.
Just before leaving, Psysquid quickly summons a Burrito in his mouth.

Soadreqm

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm okay with this. I'm okay with a lot of things.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14613 on: November 18, 2014, 08:46:12 am »

I just found this game a few days ago. Used to dismiss it because I thought it was about zombies, but as it turns out, it's actually more about scavenging. Starvation is fun. :)

Anyway, just how unstable is the not-stable version? Should I play that one instead of the stable one?

wer6

• Bay Watcher
  • SCOUT DOESNT WANNA GIVE A KISS
    • View Profile
    • Pirate baaaayyyy!~
« Reply #14614 on: November 18, 2014, 08:50:40 am »

Unstable is both more and less stable then the "Stable" version, because bugs in stable might have been fixed and new ones might have been added.
Just before leaving, Psysquid quickly summons a Burrito in his mouth.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #14615 on: November 18, 2014, 09:09:02 am »

Yeeep, look in the upper left corner "Tweaker"
Means you did drugs before.

ah thanks so that was it, judging on how it crippled that character i'm never going to use random character generation again :D

generated a new character, a military recruit as a profession, started with a combat knife and a M4A1, very good.
I proceeded to clear a little bit of a town so i could make one of the house as my base of operation.
34 zombies died in that zone cleaning, my character got a nasty wound on the torso , my own fault for having tried to fight a zombie without using the shrub tactic, not finding anything, i decided to cauterize it with a burning shrub and my combat knife as the wound was hurting and was swollen.

Unfortunately the cauterizing didn't went well and lead directly to the next stage : the torso was now infected.
My luck was still there as there was a pharmacy on the next zone of the town, i went there, fetched antibiotic then retreated on clear area and destroyed the zombies that have followed.

All was good, no more infection.
Unfortunately my luck had run out.
A random NPC was in sight and was shouting me to wait for him, once he was close he told me to drop my knife on the ground.
Instead of it i replied negatively, equipped my M4A1 , shot and hit 3 times but the NPC was not dead (wow, he was more resistant than most of the zombies i killed )
Then he shot.
A big wave of fire engulfed my character that died from it.

Lesson of the day : oddly bullet resistant NPC + flamethrower ismuch much more dangerous than any of the zombies in town.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2014, 09:15:12 am by Robsoie »

Soadreqm

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm okay with this. I'm okay with a lot of things.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14616 on: November 18, 2014, 11:23:28 am »

Unstable is both more and less stable then the "Stable" version, because bugs in stable might have been fixed and new ones might have been added.
I meant generally. Like, should I expect "Dwarf Fortress" buggy, "Unpatched Bethesda game" buggy, or "Completely unplayable" buggy?

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #14617 on: November 18, 2014, 11:26:47 am »

I've been playing the experimentals a lot. They're generally about on par with the actual stable version, plus you get a lot of nifty new toys, which, if they are broken, you don't necessarily need to use anyway.
Nothing important here, move along.

Akhier the Dragon hearted

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #14618 on: November 18, 2014, 11:39:11 am »

Experimental is as stable as Stable. The biggest difference is that occasionally it breaks in some way and that tends to get fixed relatively quickly either by reverting to a stable build or a quick fix. Another thing to note about Stable versions is they can come quite far apart. If you had asked only a a weeks ago almost everyone would probably tell you to play experimental because so much had changed since the last Stable build.

TLDR: Play Experimental but keep the last version to work for you when you decide to upgrade in-case something broke.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2014, 11:40:54 am by Akhier the Dragon hearted »
Join us. The crazy is at a perfect temperature today.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14619 on: November 18, 2014, 11:45:35 am »

Never just overwrite your install with an experimental. Each install with some exploration and maybe one character is under 100MB. Just copy graveyard, memorial, save, templates folders to the new experimental and test things out.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #14620 on: November 18, 2014, 12:24:40 pm »

I meant generally. Like, should I expect "Dwarf Fortress" buggy, "Unpatched Bethesda game" buggy, or "Completely unplayable" buggy?

At the time i write, the recent and  latest "stable" CDDA is -much- less buggy than the current version of Dwarf Fortress adventure mode is, it's completely playable.

Tnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14621 on: November 18, 2014, 01:54:18 pm »

Does anyone know how to edit NPC spawn rates?  The question was asked on the official forums, with the reply being "that'll need C++".  So with that said, anyone have any idea on how to do so? 

Reference Thread: http://smf.cataclysmdda.com/index.php?topic=8364.0

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #14622 on: November 18, 2014, 02:31:30 pm »

With the help of 2 random NPC that didn't cared about me but did a terminator run around a hotel and killed truckloads of undead by themselves, i could finally free a hotel from undead infestation.

I went to the basement, turned on my flashlight and saw this :

A swimming pool in the hotel basement !

I'll be able to get water reliably now, i got enough bottles from the other houses and there are enough shrub to set fire to in order to obtain clean water from those.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14623 on: November 18, 2014, 02:35:04 pm »

Hotels really are hell to clear. I once went through three trenchcoats fighting and climbing through broken windows and such. So many zombies in small rooms.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #14624 on: November 18, 2014, 03:00:02 pm »

The 2 randomly generated NPC did a carnage, i think at most i killed 6 zombies myself from inside the hotel (by attracting them outside and patiently leading them into shrub, hitting twice with my crowbar then moving away before retaliation, repeat until all dead)

When you're not lucky you get what i did on a previous character : a super resistant hostile NPC with flamethrower that will one shot you, or when you're lucky they're weapon of massive undead destructions and will clear very nasty zones for you.

But it looks like my luck turned bad, i have all that water, i have all those containers for it, i can make fire but in the small hamlet surrounding the hotel (only 2 or 3 houses and a couple restaurant + a pharmacy ) not a single pot, stone pot or frying pan.
And i don't have enough survivalist skill to be able to make a stone pot myself.

Basically i'll have to adventure far from there to find another town , hoping not to meet a hostile flamethrower happy NPC :/
Pages: 1 ... 973 974 [975] 976 977 ... 1086