Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 968 969 [970] 971 972 ... 1086

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!  (Read 1862883 times)

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!
« Reply #14535 on: November 15, 2014, 03:33:47 pm »

I can confirm burning shrub still does damage to monsters getting into it, managed to destroy a though zombie that i was running away from by guiding it into several burning shrubs that i setup on my way to trap the monster.

From some close combat with a "simple" zombie i got a nasty torso wound by bite, it's not yet at the infection state but i'm close as it's swollen and i have not found a single antibiotic or 1st aid kits in the many houses i visited.

I guess there's going to be a lot of burning pain then to try to cauterize it with magma fire

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #14536 on: November 15, 2014, 04:41:33 pm »

After some painful cauterizing with a pair of cissor and a burning shrub, time to go hunt for more stuff, i have a lot of bullets of many kinds and found a pistol on a NPC that just got killed by a bear (managed to get the pistol on the corpse, reload as thankfully some of the ammo i had corresponded and finished the wounded beast).

Unfortunately the heavy majority of the ammo isn't of that pistol type, so i'm counting my bullets.

After some more difficult situations (due to my lack of sleep , damned cold shelter preventing any kind of sleep) because my character is now too slow, i got out of ammo and was harrassed by a regular zombie.

When suddenly a hero appeared, well a hero because in that desesperate situation any help is making the helper a hero :D , a NPC named Eugene Haines appeared at a corner of a building, he comes to help me, he aims and he shoots !
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
:o
I died on that turn of course, i was laughing at thinking of the situation. At least the NPC had the intent to help as effectively shot the zombie, too bad the weapon he was using wasn't really the best to save anyone :D

nomoetoe

• Bay Watcher
  • Victorian Walrus
    • View Profile
« Reply #14537 on: November 15, 2014, 10:23:55 pm »

I now have a great dilemma.

Do I stay at the 2 houses I am living in and build walls to connect the 2 together in a FABULOUS union, or do I move to the house with a garage and connect it to the nearby clothing store.

Decisions, decisions. 2 crates full of metal stuff back at the base. and tons of other shiz niz. But GAAARAAAAAGE. Hmm maybe I could build a garage.  c:

Tough times. got a pro fishing rod though. which is very nice.
The most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. At least that's what the restraining order says.

n9103

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam
« Reply #14538 on: November 15, 2014, 10:40:23 pm »

Did they actually make garage doors construct-able?

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14539 on: November 15, 2014, 10:42:48 pm »

Palisade gates are just about as good.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

nomoetoe

• Bay Watcher
  • Victorian Walrus
    • View Profile
« Reply #14540 on: November 15, 2014, 10:51:47 pm »

Palisade gates are just about as good.

indeedly doodly, what this man/woman sadily soodily.
The most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. At least that's what the restraining order says.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14541 on: November 16, 2014, 05:24:00 am »

Personally I go vehicular.  My favored designs end up being rather large and cumbersome, built like a house with either a really powerful engine or a massive amount of fuel, so either V8 or Electric/Solar.  When I grow bored of everything, I move furniture inside and roll away.  So rather like an RV - move somewhere, pull down the awning, set out the lawn chairs, and make a home away from home.

I need to experiment with V12's and roller drums though...

MikaTheCrazy

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't know why this is my avatar now
    • View Profile
« Reply #14542 on: November 16, 2014, 05:56:36 am »

Is it possible to kite a zombie brute over furniture or are they too fast/ smash the furniture rather than climb over it?
Okay fine, maybe I'm too lazy to find something to put here.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14543 on: November 16, 2014, 06:03:52 am »

Is it possible to kite a zombie brute over furniture or are they too fast/ smash the furniture rather than climb over it?
Possible if you have some speed aids - caffeinated gum is pretty decent.  Brutes are faster than a normal survivor, though you may be able to get a few good hits in if you have a quick weapon (smaller weight and smaller volume means faster hitting speed).  You can sometimes achieve this by standing still on flat ground, and ass soon as the brute enters the adjacent tile, hit once, then back away.  He will catch up to you eventually though.

Wreckage is also a good tool against brutes, as they take a while climbing over the multiple tiles of vehicle.

All zombies will randomly attempt to smash things in their way, brutes are just more likely to destroy the obstruction.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #14544 on: November 16, 2014, 07:19:26 am »

On one of my town item gathering then bringing them back to shelter i met a wandering NPC .
He was rather hostile as i ordered me to drop a specific ammo i was carrying (i didn't had any gun) , as my best weapon at the time was a pocket knife i did so, then i moved away while the NPC went to take the item on the ground.

I then got an error message :

Following that error message the NPC turned hostile immediately and proceeded to kill my character.

in other news, i noticed that my saved game folder has now more than 1400 files, it sure inflated a lot since yesterday in which i had "only" a hundred, and that without seeing much of that world out of a town and a forest .

Blaze

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chaos that Crawls up on you with a Smile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14545 on: November 16, 2014, 07:52:58 am »

A good 98% of the save is taken by world files, so if it gets too big you can manually move your character to another world.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #14546 on: November 16, 2014, 08:08:22 am »

Yes, this i know as i already deleted that world, but what i don't understand is how it moved from a hundred of files to more than a thousand in 1 day while i didn't explored really much more as most of my game in that world has been around the same city (and even, city boundaries, not even inside) and a forest nearby (that a scenario landed me in).

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14547 on: November 16, 2014, 09:03:52 am »

Possibly it had a file for every NPC there was, possibly one for every mob.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

MikaTheCrazy

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't know why this is my avatar now
    • View Profile
« Reply #14548 on: November 16, 2014, 09:09:43 am »

Setting windows and fences on fire behind me worked wonders on the brute, in fact I even managed to kill a hulk that showed up later. Apparently no zombie can withstand the power of a burning picket fence.
Okay fine, maybe I'm too lazy to find something to put here.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #14549 on: November 16, 2014, 09:18:24 am »

Possibly it had a file for every NPC there was, possibly one for every mob.

That's a good possibility, some part of the town had insane amount of undeads (problably due to the mall presence and a hospital i didn't even tried to go near).
Pages: 1 ... 968 969 [970] 971 972 ... 1086