Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 947 948 [949] 950 951 ... 1086

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!  (Read 1862645 times)

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!
« Reply #14220 on: October 31, 2014, 08:32:24 pm »

Well, derp. I was kind of in a rush to get away from the hundred or so zombies swarming the evac shelter.

I'm not whining about tank drones being unfair or anything, but that death was particularly aggravating.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #14221 on: October 31, 2014, 08:46:27 pm »

Well, derp. I was kind of in a rush to get away from the hundred or so zombies swarming the evac shelter.

I'm not whining about tank drones being unfair or anything, but that death was particularly aggravating.
More aggravating than NPCs tossing explosives around trashing your hideout cause they want to kill a stupid raccoon?

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #14222 on: October 31, 2014, 08:55:50 pm »

It's doubtful. But then again, I don't play with NPCs.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Carsonjo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14223 on: October 31, 2014, 09:49:32 pm »

Sometimes, I seriously wonder why NPCs get so much hate. I've been playing awhile, and never had a problem with them. I just use them for food and free goodies. Now, animals... They, and their zombified counter-parts, are a pain.

Cheedows

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a dwarf, right?
    • View Profile
« Reply #14224 on: October 31, 2014, 10:39:35 pm »

Sometimes, I seriously wonder why NPCs get so much hate. I've been playing awhile, and never had a problem with them. I just use them for food and free goodies. Now, animals... They, and their zombified counter-parts, are a pain.

It gets annoying when NPC hordes close in on your location, then immediately chuck pipebombs at you. Even worse, cause debugging loops.

Akhier the Dragon hearted

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #14225 on: October 31, 2014, 11:02:24 pm »

I loved when they would give you a primed mininuke with no turns left until it goes off.
Join us. The crazy is at a perfect temperature today.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

Evilsx

• Bay Watcher
  • Some crazy person
    • View Profile
« Reply #14226 on: October 31, 2014, 11:34:44 pm »

Finally survived my first night :)
It took me 5 50 go to finally to get a good town so I could get gear and not die, like a bullwhip to get zombie to stay away and a S&W revolver to get anything big to fuck off that alway kill me (Finally got my first moose kill and I feel so good after that, but lost my backpack after that :/).

Now just hiding in a shelter with the cold all around but finally alive of one night

Edit: Also, any helpful advice that could help me with the following day after this
« Last Edit: October 31, 2014, 11:36:32 pm by Evilsx »

Nuttycompa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14227 on: November 01, 2014, 12:23:16 am »

Here is my advice
Don't even step outside in the broad daylight, unless you are a melee god ( my definition of god is the one who solo the hulk and survive ). Half of the town can see you mile away and rush you to hell.

Be active at night it much easier to get anything done.

Carsonjo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14228 on: November 01, 2014, 12:57:39 am »

Finally survived my first night :)
It took me 5 50 go to finally to get a good town so I could get gear and not die, like a bullwhip to get zombie to stay away and a S&W revolver to get anything big to fuck off that alway kill me (Finally got my first moose kill and I feel so good after that, but lost my backpack after that :/).

Now just hiding in a shelter with the cold all around but finally alive of one night

Edit: Also, any helpful advice that could help me with the following day after this

Are you playing Experimental or Stable? Stable's way outdated, so if you're playing that, get the latest Experimental when you die. I'll assume you're playing Experimental, since I don't remember what the Stable had anymore.

Either find an Archery book or craft one of the slings that trains archery and shoot pebbles at a wall for awhile. Then find a bow or a crossbow. My preferred method of killing things. It's silent, you can pick up your arrows, crafting arrows is easy, and it's good for most enemies. However, you're gonna want to keep a high power pistol on you, or something bigger, if you take on some of the larger enemies. Unless you get one of the better bows, but they have strength requirements you might not fill. But it's better than dropping all your items and clothing and bags to go into melee. The crossbow has a rather long reload though. But it's better than something like a selfbow. You can find crossbows from traps on roads, though I haven't found one in Experimental.

You're gonna want to find some kind of vehicle. Check parking lots, they usually have some kind of working vehicle, be it a car or a bicycle. You can sometimes find working cars on roads, but it's near impossible to find one in a city.

Check garages for tools to work on said vehicles with. If you can't find any parking lots, and you have to fix one up, you're gonna either need to get lucky in houses, or hit a garage. It doesn't explicitly say this, but to work on vehicles, you need a welder (or duct tape, but it's A LOT of duct tape), and to use a welder, you need welding goggles! Now, that probably seems like common sense, but for my first game, I seriously could not figure out why I couldn't use my welder. There's a ton of other tools you need, such as a hacksaw and a jack, to work on cars that are much harder to find in houses than garages. This equipment is also heavy, so either leave it there or hit the place first.

Construct either bookcases or dressers (using *) and then use G to push them in front of the doors and possibly windows, unless you don't like barricading them so you can see out of them. You can't pass through dressers or bookcases like you can tables and chairs, So when something breaks down your door, they also have to break down the bookcase, giving you ample time to either leave or load your guns.

Get or make an axe. You'll never have to worry about not having enough 2x4's again. If you need nails, burn a house down. It'll take awhile to burn, and since you need to stay near it, make sure you've killed all the zombies in the area.

I haven't done this in Experimental, because clearing out large cities is slow work, and I haven't found the local liquor store yet, but raiding liquor stores provides you with all the alcohol you'll need for awhile. So make sure you have a car if it's far away. And by far away I mean not literally not next to your safehouse. In Stable, they had tons of alcohol. And you'll need it. Because who doesn't like molotovs? And bandages/first aid kits.

All I can think of for now. Dunno if you know this stuff or not. If you're playing Experimental, watch out for roadblocks and back up your save in case you get any nasty surprises. Make sure you throw your grenades after you pull the pin. Don't try to throw grenades out your open car door. Probably won't end well. And always install your gas tanks inside the car. Putting them outside can prove fatal. Unless they don't work like that, but I swear I saw something on the forums about it.

Also, everyone says don't go outside during the day, but I rarely have problems with it. Granted, I go slow, VERY slow, but I never liked the idea of bumping into zombies in the dark. At the very least, raiding the outskirts of a city is fine during the day. I tried looting at night once, and ended up walking into an infested house. So I try to avoid it. Anyway, good luck!

TheCondor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14229 on: November 01, 2014, 01:11:20 am »

Here is my advice
Don't even step outside in the broad daylight, unless you are a melee god ( my definition of god is the one who solo the hulk and survive ). Half of the town can see you mile away and rush you to hell.

I am not sure about what version you are playing, but on the latest expirmental the zombie eye sight is not that good compared to your own and I find going in at night suicidal compared to day.  What you do is aim for looting outer houses, if a zombie ever gets on you kite in into a bush, hit it twice, kite it into a new bush, and repeat into dead.  During the day you should have the vision to make sure you are never running into large packs.  Compare that to night where you run into a zombie dog in the middle of looting and are unable to run away.

Carsonjo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14230 on: November 01, 2014, 01:20:03 am »

Here is my advice

I am not sure about what version you are playing, but on the latest expirmental the zombie eye sight is not that good compared to your own and I find going in at night suicidal compared to day.  What you do is aim for looting outer houses, if a zombie ever gets on you kite in into a bush, hit it twice, kite it into a new bush, and repeat into dead.  During the day you should have the vision to make sure you are never running into large packs.  Compare that to night where you run into a zombie dog in the middle of looting and are unable to run away.

I think most of the danger comes from stronger zombies. I find they have just as good eyesight as you, though it could be argued if you encounter them at the edge of your vision you can usually run away. (I also haven't tested that, so I could be completely wrong and it was just coincidence.) That said, I still prefer looting during the day than the night, atleast until you get night vision. Also, if you loot a building with windows that can't be closed, every zombie on the street is gonna see you during the day, but you should be clearing out the town anyway.

Rilder

• Bay Watcher
  • Rye Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #14231 on: November 01, 2014, 06:15:05 am »

I honestly haven't had -too- much issue with zombies in broad daylight, I usually just make a nailboard or sommit at the start and that's usually enough to fend off zombies (especially with bush trick)until a better weapon is found. (In my current game a R42 Fighting knife which seems to allow me to even take pretty much every zombie so far)

Edit: Also did addictions get nerfed at some point since stable? IIRC in Stable even a nicotine addiction could seriously hamper you for days due to morale penalties if you were trying break it and in the experimental my character has been addicted to nicotine for a few times and it's been an almost complete non issue. (Even with addictive personality!)
« Last Edit: November 01, 2014, 10:09:06 am by Rilder »
Steam Profile
Youtube(Let's Plays), Occasional Streaming
It felt a bit like a movie in which two stoners try to steal a military helicopter

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14232 on: November 01, 2014, 10:54:31 am »

"Stable" was ages ago. EVERYTHING has changed.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #14233 on: November 01, 2014, 04:18:04 pm »

EVERYTHING
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14234 on: November 01, 2014, 05:52:45 pm »

Guys what.
Pages: 1 ... 947 948 [949] 950 951 ... 1086