Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 940 941 [942] 943 944 ... 1086

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!  (Read 1862277 times)

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!
« Reply #14115 on: October 24, 2014, 12:31:43 pm »

Well, unless they're hiding, no one else has ever had this happen to them...
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

starscream

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14116 on: October 24, 2014, 12:33:52 pm »

There are two Windows SDL/Ttiles links on that page.

And like it has already been said, the game does nothing to cause this sort of error. It's usually tested to at least being able to start without crashing.

i downloaded the stable version.  whatever you may think about the game doing, it did cause the shutdown.  and it does start without crashing.  this particular crash happened after i started a game, didn't know what was going on, so i exited and went to the tutorial.  the tutorial link crashed to a blank screen then a shut-down after a few seconds.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14117 on: October 24, 2014, 01:02:50 pm »

Well, unless they're hiding, no one else has ever had this happen to them...

Almost two years of CDDA here at Bay12 and no, this has not happened before. It seems like ascii/tiles is a 50/50 or so split. That's a lot of playtime and a lot of versions with no OS corruption. Bad HDD sectors are the most likely cause of corruption. CDDA has and makes a lot of little files that individually have to be accessed. It used to be worse. It's a bit of a load on the HDD.

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14118 on: October 24, 2014, 01:25:15 pm »

I have had it happen, but only playing the branch that will not be named.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14119 on: October 24, 2014, 01:30:05 pm »

I have had it happen, but only playing the branch that will not be named.

That's not CDDA. MOVING ON

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #14120 on: October 24, 2014, 02:08:53 pm »

i downloaded the stable version.  whatever you may think about the game doing, it did cause the shutdown.  and it does start without crashing.  this particular crash happened after i started a game, didn't know what was going on, so i exited and went to the tutorial.  the tutorial link crashed to a blank screen then a shut-down after a few seconds.
Yeah, the game is pretty much totally self contained. The only way I can see the game itself causing something like this to happen is if you either compiled it yourself and changed things that would make stuff break like this or you've been messing around with the libraries on your computer (or some other program/virus has been). Elsewise yeah, most likely the problem is that your HDD or some other part of your computer was already bad, but just hadn't been forced to use that particular bad piece and reveal the problem yet. If you had some bad sectors on your hard drive (as BigD145 mentioned) it's totally possible something like this could have happened, but it's also just as equally possible that it could have happened while you were playing DF, or WoW, or just browsing the interwebs.

That said it's totally possible that the game could be crashing on normal game -> tutorial shenanigans (just not the OS). I'll make a note to look into it when I get the chance.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Zireael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14121 on: October 25, 2014, 09:09:33 am »

Any tips on how to beat a mi-go?

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14122 on: October 25, 2014, 09:20:47 am »

How many launchable mininukes do you have?
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14123 on: October 25, 2014, 09:23:46 am »

00 Buckshot to the face. 2 shots should do it. Slugs work fine, too
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #14124 on: October 25, 2014, 09:29:06 am »

A follow-up to that question, how do you beat a mi-go that spawned ten meters outside of your starting shelter?

My answer is "create a mod that removes extraplanar beings from play".
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14125 on: October 25, 2014, 09:33:56 am »

Theres an option for that...
Highly Opinionated Fool

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #14126 on: October 25, 2014, 09:58:26 am »

No, actually, there isn't. There's an option to remove all non-standard zombies, an option to remove everything but wildlife, and an option to remove almost everything besides normal gear and regular zombies. No option to remove just the weird monsters from eldritch dimensions.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

gimlet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14127 on: October 25, 2014, 10:08:27 am »

Mi-gos aren't THAT horrible - IF you start out with good physical stats.   Whore the disadvantages to pay for 12+ Str 12+ Dex, Quickness if you want even more of an edge, smash a locker to get a pipe, pick up the metal chunks and anything else you can carry to throw before it closes, and that should be enough to at least drive the thing off without getting too bloody.   If you're faster than it, kite it through bushes/slowing terrain (I think migos are faster though).

Then find a rock outside and start making better weapons - I like a cudgel and a couple of pointy sticks to throw (if you have the inventory space, otherwise rocks).  That should be enough dakka until you can build up survival (examine bushes, butcher) until you can make a knife spear which is pretty damn nice for an early weapon.

starscream

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14128 on: October 25, 2014, 10:40:32 am »

That said it's totally possible that the game could be crashing on normal game -> tutorial shenanigans (just not the OS). I'll make a note to look into it when I get the chance.

well i tried it on a disposable laptop with vista installed and it crashes at the same place that it crashed on my win 8 system.  only on the vista, it didn't cause a shutdown.  so it's nothing to do with my computer or bad sectors.  the game crashes on that spot and causes unpredictable events on different systems. [also, on that system, the cpu runs at 100% when the game is actually working and i can't keep it going for more than a few minutes before the cpu gets too hot.]
« Last Edit: October 25, 2014, 10:44:22 am by starscream »

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14129 on: October 25, 2014, 11:01:26 am »

What version? 3db0398 works fine on windows seven with the tutorial.

It might just be the inherent bullshit inherent to Vista and 8.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Pages: 1 ... 940 941 [942] 943 944 ... 1086