Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 933 934 [935] 936 937 ... 1086

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!  (Read 1862025 times)

KA101

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!
« Reply #14010 on: October 14, 2014, 09:08:34 pm »

Merged a fix for a memory leak in fields, so being around fire and fungal haze ought to be safer now.

Working to get infrastructure for profession-based traits in.  That'll pave the way for some later-game quests I have in mind.

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14011 on: October 14, 2014, 09:37:47 pm »

Man. I underestimated how wonderful that motel-side pool was. Water's hard to find in safely large amounts >m>

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #14012 on: October 14, 2014, 09:41:13 pm »

I set up at a motel once. I never even considered that the pool would be one of the more valuable things there.

Heck, I actually made a game of luring zombies into it because I simply wasn't concerned about it.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14013 on: October 15, 2014, 12:14:36 am »

What's so hard about finding water? LMOE shelters, farms, any building with a pool, any river, any swamp, or a lot of funnels and large containers and you have unlimited water.

Kaitol

• Bay Watcher
  • Heya, Red.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14014 on: October 15, 2014, 11:50:39 am »

You're assuming any of those are available in a five mile radius. Such is not exactly guaranteed.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14015 on: October 15, 2014, 04:44:11 pm »

You're assuming any of those are available in a five mile radius. Such is not exactly guaranteed.

I've yet to run into a map where they aren't available.

The most I've had to do was craft funnels from plastic bottles.

ollobrains

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14016 on: October 16, 2014, 12:24:44 am »

with the RNG there are some maps, where easy to access water that isnt massively guarded by zombies is very hard.  But i would think that access to a decent weapon would be the first priority and then getting a hold of food of course

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #14017 on: October 16, 2014, 12:05:11 pm »

Is there a point to building furniture like chairs, cupboards and such, other than for the construction skill training and possibly obstacles?
Like, can I actually store items in cupboards and dressers, rather than leaving everything in big piles?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14018 on: October 16, 2014, 12:35:49 pm »

Is there a point to building furniture like chairs, cupboards and such, other than for the construction skill training and possibly obstacles?
Like, can I actually store items in cupboards and dressers, rather than leaving everything in big piles?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Lockers make an excellent, if loud, method of dragging around a large number of items before you make a shopping cart. They hold an extremely large amount of stuff compared to how easy they are to make. Only issue is, like I said, sound. Don't drag lockers around in dynamic spawn. Used to be that lockers and dressers and such hoovered up items that they were dragged over, but now they just displace em, so you have to move the stuff into the locker now.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14019 on: October 16, 2014, 12:53:46 pm »

... You can move lockers...?
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #14020 on: October 16, 2014, 12:55:43 pm »

Good to know. Plus, I played around with (D)rop instead of (d)rop and discovered how to place things in dressers, lockers, cupboards, etc.

Now I can have my base look like a normal person's house instead of just random piles of loosely-associated objects (which is kind of how I live in RL :-[)

Had a start as a shower victim. She made the obligatory nailboard, made a couple of forays into the edge of town to get a sweater and boots, and then spotted a cabin in the woods to the north. Took out the three zombies in the toolshed and started hauling crap from the shelter. Now I have a fence, a wood stove, some fruit, a whole bunch of useful tools, clothes that fit and a sofa to sit on and read The Big Book of First Aid in the evening before going to bed in a real bed, with a blanket and everything. This is probably my best first day ever in this game. :D

EDIT: And a good night's sleep is interrupted by the sound of wandering dogs stepping on land mines. *sigh*
But in the morning, I also found a fox and a deer done in by mines. And butchered and skinned them with a gardening shovel.

.....Best. Game. Ever.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2014, 01:28:48 pm by RedKing »

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #14021 on: October 16, 2014, 01:06:10 pm »

Be advised, though. As of a recent experimental update, furniture like lockers take the weight of items inside them into account for dragging strength checks. So that locker is going to get much slower and louder as stuff accumulates in it.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14022 on: October 16, 2014, 01:12:41 pm »

... You can move lockers...?

I believe the command is shift+g. Same as grabbing a shopping cart. Actually, most furniture can be moved that way, except for consoles and beds IIRC.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14023 on: October 16, 2014, 01:19:58 pm »

I'm not sure about cupboards but lockers keep you from seeing their contents at a distance. I usually make that kind of closed-off storage for items I don't need very often (winter clothes, armor variants, nonperishable food, booze, medicine cabinet) and keep the rest of the stuff on counters so if I need something small or random like duct tape or batteries I can (V) the whole room to find it and not have an overcluttered list.

Also, chairs count as "comfortable" sleeping spots, so if you want you can toss a blanket in an armchair and fall asleep in front of the fireplace if you feel so inclined.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14024 on: October 16, 2014, 01:23:46 pm »

Most of the time I have rows of lockers with markers on the floor saying whats in them.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text
Pages: 1 ... 933 934 [935] 936 937 ... 1086