Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 932 933 [934] 935 936 ... 1086

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!  (Read 1861965 times)

|SignOfTheRaven|

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!
« Reply #13995 on: October 12, 2014, 09:05:09 pm »

This game is really amazing so far! Thanks for this.

Edit* One question though. Can you build your own houses/shelters?
« Last Edit: October 12, 2014, 09:19:46 pm by |SignOfTheRaven| »

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13996 on: October 12, 2014, 10:01:15 pm »

With an axe, decent construction skill and access to plenty of trees and nails and maybe a few other things, yep. Wood Saws help, but I'm not sure to what degree.
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #13997 on: October 12, 2014, 11:01:41 pm »

You don't explicitly need a wood saw, but they're handy for furniture.

One thing I've always wanted to do is the Caveman Challenge: put it on Classic Zombies, set the town size to the minimum, play a shower victim, funnel all my points into Survival and a level or two of Fabrication, then burn down the starting shelter (stable scrub here :P) and live primitively. Stone tools are all that's allowed. You're not allowed to use any steel, iron, plastic, aluminum, Kevlar, [you get the picture] items or use any manmade buildings or anything found therein. You may not use bridges or exclusively follow roads. You may not use clothes from zombie corpses. You must only use leather or fur clothing. You may not use vehicles. The only metal or indoor-found items you may use are nails, and even then you may only smash a single furniture item within each building and may only raid every fourth building down a street.

If you can build a full fortification that way (a full fortification is an acid-rain-safe house with a renewable food supply [probably a farm] and drink supply [probably a fortified path to a river or a fruit orchard] within a palisade wall [that sinew-collecting is going to be fun] around it), you win.

Wolves usually maul me before I can really gain momentum. :(
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13998 on: October 12, 2014, 11:15:40 pm »

There's a start where you're a shower victim and your house is already ablaze around you. You're also infected and sick with the flu.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13999 on: October 12, 2014, 11:38:05 pm »

(stable scrub here :P)
That start is a little overboard, though.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #14000 on: October 12, 2014, 11:40:00 pm »

And yours isn't?
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #14001 on: October 12, 2014, 11:44:35 pm »

So question. What would it take to make "randomized enjoyability"?

So character A might get 20 points of enjoyment out of food A, but character B only gets 5 points from food A?

I'm guessing it would require some sort of weighted modifier range to each item, that is applied on start, so that you can't for example end up with a character who likes nothing more then chugging ammonia.

And this brings up the possibility of mutations that change a characters "tastes", so that you COULD end up with a character who likes nothing more then chugging ammonia. But for realisticals, and not for hilaricals.
Since there's already traits that modify enjoyability, like Cannibal or Gourmet, it should be doable.
Not as easily as you think. Apply things to all items or select item "types" is easy (like with cannibal or gourmet). Individualized items? And properly supporting the ability to add/remove items? Much harder.

(Not to say we don't want to be able to do it eventually, but it's a little farther off then it seems).
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14002 on: October 12, 2014, 11:48:47 pm »

And yours isn't?
That was a challenge run concept.

Wait, how many points does this "my life is hell" start net you?

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #14003 on: October 13, 2014, 12:05:23 am »

Ten.

And it's supposed to be a challenge, so yeah.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14004 on: October 13, 2014, 02:10:08 am »

I tried maximizing points with the really really bad day 10 point start and with a methamphetamine addiction.... Nearly impossible. If the crippling starting conditions, fire, and zombies don't kill you, then the withdrawal will, as it lasts so long that you will most likely starve and dehydrate to death. It also brings your speed down to like...20, so anything that can kill you will. Basically what you have to do, is within a short period of time find methamphetamine or make it outside of town and have nothing following you and find a stash of food and water to last you a few days.

|SignOfTheRaven|

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #14005 on: October 13, 2014, 03:06:22 am »

With an axe, decent construction skill and access to plenty of trees and nails and maybe a few other things, yep. Wood Saws help, but I'm not sure to what degree.

Thanks. I can already tell that my first shelter won't be expertly crafted. I might not even have a roof.  Although as a new player, I may just stick with an already built place for awhile. Get some food and venture out durring the day to find stuff.  :)

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14006 on: October 13, 2014, 03:10:56 am »

Yeah stick with either the starting shelter or any particular house for a while. The do-it-yourself route is VERY time-consuming and you need books to get construction skill high enough to make everything anyway.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14007 on: October 13, 2014, 03:26:39 am »

Nah, just dig holes everywhere, then make tables your main sort of firewood. That should bring you up to level 2 in construction.

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14008 on: October 13, 2014, 04:46:35 am »

Books? Who needs books when you can just build a bookshelf over and over again for experience?

Zireael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14009 on: October 13, 2014, 05:27:46 am »

Books? Who needs books when you can just build a bookshelf over and over again for experience?

That's what I did quite recently :D
Pages: 1 ... 932 933 [934] 935 936 ... 1086