Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 931 932 [933] 934 935 ... 1086

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!  (Read 1862019 times)

ollobrains

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!
« Reply #13980 on: October 12, 2014, 03:52:55 am »

a method through youre interactions with the npcs, them gaining new pos, neg and neutral traits maybe

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13981 on: October 12, 2014, 11:11:47 am »

That's... even more unusual then. If it's intelligent enough to see something's a living creature, it should be at least as capable as firing effective bursts.

I honestly would not expect negative traits to be the default for non-player entities. (Both turrets and NPCs.)
The problem is the cheapness of turrets vs control of them. Literally, all you need right now to get a working turret is a steel frame, a battery, vehicle controls, and the gun. I might be wrong about the battery. Once you activate them, you don't even need to be driving for them to function, so I think they are a stopgap measure at the moment.

Reminds me that I need to debug in a bubble car and enough flamethrowers to mount one on each outside tile of it, on a map with max zombie spawns.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

n9103

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam
« Reply #13982 on: October 12, 2014, 11:26:51 am »

I would think the completely crap accuracy would be penalty enough.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #13983 on: October 12, 2014, 11:58:37 am »

???

Turrets don't "waste" bursts. They function identical to if a player with those (average) stats and skills were standing their with their gun on burst fire mode. If they waste ammo it's because they either:
1) Missed
2) Annihilated whatever they were aiming at in the first shot
3) Are fighting a nigh unlimited amount of small woodland creatures with limited ammo
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #13984 on: October 12, 2014, 12:01:23 pm »

???

Turrets don't "waste" bursts. They function identical to if a player with those (average) stats and skills were standing their with their gun on burst fire mode. If they waste ammo it's because they either:
1) Missed
2) Annihilated whatever they were aiming at in the first shot
3) Are fighting a nigh unlimited amount of small woodland creatures with limited ammo

You know, I don't know if it would be possible, but it would be nice if the turret accuracy scaled with the maker's electronics/hacking skills, representing superior engineering and coding.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

n9103

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam
« Reply #13985 on: October 12, 2014, 01:04:28 pm »

I guess I'm confused, it's been awhile since I used anything on burst admittedly, but last I knew, bursts stopped firing either when the target died, or within a couple shots for the large bursts.

In either case, I have to object to the 30 round burst on an M249. Doing that in training would get you a boot to the head.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #13986 on: October 12, 2014, 01:28:54 pm »

True, but Cataclysm operate on Holywood logic.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

KA101

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13987 on: October 12, 2014, 02:47:18 pm »

LCS is Hollywood.  DDA tries for quasi-realism, at least.

Currently bursting tries to go for the full RoF and shifts targets from one to another if you kill the first one with rounds left in the burst.  I think it *does* waste ammo if you run out of targets, though.

Unfortunately we don't really have a good way of simulating burst-limited v. full-auto fire; hence, the M249's oversized burst.  By rights the M4 should have a three-shot burst rather than the 10-rd it currently uses, what with the BURST setting IRL and all, but having code to accommodate more than one 3-burst in six seconds becomes an issue.

Feel free to PR an upgrade, though.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #13988 on: October 12, 2014, 03:05:36 pm »

I guess it could work if it either reduced the movepoint cost of the attack when on burst or only waste ammo if the killing round is not a multiple of three.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #13989 on: October 12, 2014, 03:08:24 pm »

But then, what about weapons that are fully automatic? Waste a number of rounds based on your weapon skill?

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #13990 on: October 12, 2014, 03:19:03 pm »

But then, what about weapons that are fully automatic? Waste a number of rounds based on your weapon skill?

Full auto does not, as far as I know, waste ammo. It just kills everything hostile in sight until the designated amount of rounds is completed. You could make it have a chance of losing a bullet or two at low skill.

If I were to go more in-depth, the difference would be that Burst proper would fire X rounds no matter what, so it could lock you in firing mode for more than one turn, or would end before the end of the turn and refund some movepoints for initiative in the next attack, whereas Auto would continue firing for one full round no matter how much bullets it sprays before that.

So in other words, Auto would be turn-time limited, while Burst would be bullets-per-burst limited, and both would finish if no more threats were available as it is currently.

n9103

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam
« Reply #13991 on: October 12, 2014, 03:26:58 pm »

Sounds like a perfect balance solution there, Sheb.

Guess it's sorta my fault for always being a highly cautious (and paranoid) survivor, and not getting into situations where I'd need to burst multiple enemies.

I didn't know that there was an issue with making bursts take less than 6 seconds, my bad.
Still, 30 rds in 6 seconds is extremely high for anything resembling skill or accuracy. That's Rambo levels of bullet-hosing.

Just for a reference point, I would say somewhere around 12 rounds in two targets during 6 seconds would be a reasonable balance of accuracy vs rounds fired for an M249. Actually, the same figure would probably apply to the M4 as well, since the three round burst affects accuracy a lot less than that 4th round would, so a double-burst on two targets would be a good level of overkill.
Maybe have an Alt-fire that will do the full 30 rounds, but at "Can't hit the broadside of a barn" levels of accuracy, even with reasonable skill?

As for programming a solution myself, I've got too much on my plate to pick up a programming language that I have no familiarity with, in addition to the college courses I'm taking.
Learning LUA is on the to-do list at some point in the process though, so some other time.

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13992 on: October 12, 2014, 03:29:54 pm »

The thing with burst though is that burst-firing mechanisms always shoot x rounds per pull of the trigger. So you point it at a zombie and pull the trigger. BLAMBLAMBLAM three shots at the zombie. There isn't time to redirect the bullethose because it's already firing.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #13993 on: October 12, 2014, 03:32:10 pm »

So question. What would it take to make "randomized enjoyability"?

So character A might get 20 points of enjoyment out of food A, but character B only gets 5 points from food A?

I'm guessing it would require some sort of weighted modifier range to each item, that is applied on start, so that you can't for example end up with a character who likes nothing more then chugging ammonia.

And this brings up the possibility of mutations that change a characters "tastes", so that you COULD end up with a character who likes nothing more then chugging ammonia. But for realisticals, and not for hilaricals.
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #13994 on: October 12, 2014, 03:35:51 pm »

So question. What would it take to make "randomized enjoyability"?

So character A might get 20 points of enjoyment out of food A, but character B only gets 5 points from food A?

I'm guessing it would require some sort of weighted modifier range to each item, that is applied on start, so that you can't for example end up with a character who likes nothing more then chugging ammonia.

And this brings up the possibility of mutations that change a characters "tastes", so that you COULD end up with a character who likes nothing more then chugging ammonia. But for realisticals, and not for hilaricals.

Since there's already traits that modify enjoyability, like Cannibal or Gourmet, it should be doable.
Pages: 1 ... 931 932 [933] 934 935 ... 1086