Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 910 911 [912] 913 914 ... 1086

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!  (Read 1860440 times)

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!
« Reply #13665 on: September 20, 2014, 10:34:33 pm »

Swinging a weapon is about more than flailing your arms with a stick in them. Real power requires twisting your entire torso and shifting your full weight from back to front, not including dodges and the like. Having worn a layered setup (shirt, trench coat, backpack, boxers, jeans) before, I can attest that it adds more bulk than you realize. Adding any meaningful weight to the backpack makes it much worse.

There's a reason pro boxers don't fight while wearing trench coats and backpacks.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13666 on: September 20, 2014, 10:41:11 pm »

Bluh. Why is most ranged combat so useless? With archery, I might as well be throwing the arrows at them. Guns might be more useful, but with rare ammo, if it takes even one or two shots to kill a zombie, its not sustainable. Just lost my fifth archer character in a row.
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13667 on: September 20, 2014, 10:52:54 pm »

What bow and arrows were you using?
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13668 on: September 20, 2014, 10:53:40 pm »

Bluh. Why is most ranged combat so useless? With archery, I might as well be throwing the arrows at them. Guns might be more useful, but with rare ammo, if it takes even one or two shots to kill a zombie, its not sustainable. Just lost my fifth archer character in a row.

Because undead don't die from extensive organ damage as easily as most living beings making piercing weapons not as useful.

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13669 on: September 20, 2014, 11:00:30 pm »

Because undead don't die from extensive organ damage as easily as most living beings making piercing weapons not as useful.

Spears and rapiers work fine. One of my melee centric characters does ridiculously well with them. Although there's probably a bit of a difference between "Wooden arrow to the knee" and "A meter of sharpened steel to the face". Still, its sort of annoying to have an entire play style EXIST but not actually work very well.
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

Nighthawk

• Bay Watcher
  • INT Score: Yes
    • View Profile
« Reply #13670 on: September 20, 2014, 11:19:43 pm »

Unless you hit them in the head, of course.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13671 on: September 20, 2014, 11:38:03 pm »

There's no difference between cutting and "piercing" damage in this game.

The issue I ran into with archery is the beginning stuff is only useful to train with and hunt small game. To make it on par with firearms, you have to find the Bowyer's Buddy and Fletcher's Friend books. A longbow with heavy/fletched/arrowhead arrows is worlds ahead of a self bow with light field points.

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13672 on: September 21, 2014, 12:13:25 am »

Swinging a weapon is about more than flailing your arms with a stick in them. Real power requires twisting your entire torso and shifting your full weight from back to front, not including dodges and the like. Having worn a layered setup (shirt, trench coat, backpack, boxers, jeans) before, I can attest that it adds more bulk than you realize. Adding any meaningful weight to the backpack makes it much worse.

There's a reason pro boxers don't fight while wearing trench coats and backpacks.
Seconded. A standard school pack with just shoulder straps is horribly bad to fight in, especially if you have stuff in it. It shifts and moves awkwardly, especially if you're not moving forwards or backwards. A hiking pack with chest and waist straps is better, but due to their size still annoying, plus their frames tend to get in the way.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13673 on: September 21, 2014, 12:51:16 am »

Can't believe I'm hearing archery is bad. Sure the beginning bow and arrows are weak, but it's a silent ranged weapon. Easy way to get food at least. Shoot arrow shafts at a wall for practice. That's literally all you have to do. Once you get better stuff, you will start thanking your bow as you shoot down anything hostile to you 20 tiles away while wearing 4 backpacks.

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #13674 on: September 21, 2014, 01:28:16 am »

I don't think it's right to say that archery is bad per se, but it does require some build up to be useful. Which isn't bad, since it's easier to make bows than it is to make guns, so you're build ends up depending on finding a book, rather than making sure you have the right gun with the right ammo and the right mods.

Still, understanding how to get the most out of bows isn't quite intuitive, so I do get how people don't see its benefits.

Knight of Fools

• Bay Watcher
  • From Start to Beginning
    • View Profile
    • Knight of Fools
« Reply #13675 on: September 21, 2014, 01:38:29 am »

To be fair, in a Cataclysm scenario you'd need to be pretty dang good with a bow to make it effective.
Proud Member of the Zombie Horse Executioner Squad. "This Horse ain't quite dead yet."

I don't have a British accent, but I still did a YouTube.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #13676 on: September 21, 2014, 03:18:11 am »

90% sure that RL me could grab a bow and arrows, start shooting, and achieve bugger all in doing so.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13677 on: September 21, 2014, 03:24:39 am »

Pretty sure I would just end up hurting myself.  (Well with an actual wooden bow that is, I have actually fired one of those modern bows with the pulleys before.  Those are easy)
« Last Edit: September 21, 2014, 03:26:15 am by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #13678 on: September 21, 2014, 03:38:59 am »

In my opinion, bows aren't that hard to use in real life. You just need a strong arm and a vambrace for your other one. Aiming is the easy part.
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

Zireael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13679 on: September 21, 2014, 03:57:46 am »

I am a disabled girl, but have pretty strong arms and have shot both kiddies' bows (wood + string, sort of like a smaller version of Cata self-bow) and an adult size bow (not wooden, plastic, but without pulleys and such). My aim was off only because my balance is off :(
Pages: 1 ... 910 911 [912] 913 914 ... 1086