Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 908 909 [910] 911 912 ... 1086

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!  (Read 1860022 times)

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!
« Reply #13635 on: September 19, 2014, 10:12:01 pm »

Anyone is a dev, why do people have trouble getting that? o_o
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Nighthawk

• Bay Watcher
  • INT Score: Yes
    • View Profile
« Reply #13636 on: September 19, 2014, 10:15:08 pm »

Well, if anyone is a dev, then I'm a dev, but that doesn't mean I know how to do anything with the game's code. :/

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13637 on: September 19, 2014, 10:16:10 pm »

Anyone got any good strategies for dealing with Skeleton dogs when starting out? They keep running down my new characters when they only have a makeshift crowbar and some rocks to use against them. It...doesn't go well for me.

I use KNIFE SPEAR. Skeleton type creatures don't seem have as much health[In exchange for being stupid quick], so if you get a good quick weapon with decent damage and to-hit you can usually take one down with minimal maiming[To YOU. Maximal maiming for THEM.]. KNIFE SPEARS are craftable from the starting shelter, if you put a point into Survival at the beginning and are generally awesome. I've also had some success with Karate, but KNIFE SPEARS are easier.
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13638 on: September 19, 2014, 10:17:27 pm »

True, but anyone who knows how to code can go in, and I think a lot of people realize that Skeledogs are kind of bullshit.

So I'm surprised no one has done it.

I'm also (though less) surprised no one has gone through to make sure all the monsters and spawns are... um, not insane. Like shocker brutes in forests. >_>
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

gimlet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13639 on: September 19, 2014, 10:25:35 pm »

For me, a weapon with block on top of good physical stats (usually 14 str and at least 12 dex).  Although the last few I met early on, I think I at least had a couple points of melee skill by then.  And low encumbrance - I watch that pretty carefully early on.  Throw a couple of blunt weapons as it closes, then it didn't seem to be too hard to take it down with a few whacks with cudgel or even pipe....

Sharp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13640 on: September 20, 2014, 03:31:41 am »

Well, if anyone is a dev, then I'm a dev, but that doesn't mean I know how to do anything with the game's code. :/

You really don't need to know how to code.

Go to game directory -> data\json\monsters.json

ctrl+f dog_skeleton or go to line 1000 (depending on when you downloaded) and just change some numbers depending on what you want. Decrease dodge skill or melee skill or speed, w/e it is you think will make it balanced.

HP changes might not apply until you see a new "spawned" skeleton dog in a save-game but most other changes should

The Darkling Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Arf!
    • View Profile
    • Cataclysm - Dark Days Ahead
« Reply #13641 on: September 20, 2014, 06:51:47 am »

Neither did I, when I started work on what became DDA.

Lack of knowledge is not an excuse to do nothing, it's an excuse to go and gain that knowledge.
My cabbages!
[Thunderfury, Blessed Blade of the Windseeker]

I am fat, eating is my great joy.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13642 on: September 20, 2014, 10:54:11 am »

Dealing with Skeledogs: Drop all your torso-encumbering clothes, pick up a stick. If you have some asprin, take it now.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #13643 on: September 20, 2014, 01:33:40 pm »

Dealing with Skeledogs: Drop all your torso-encumbering clothes, pick up a stick. If you have some asprin, take it now.

Great mental image of a guy realizing he's being charged by a ferocious creature and thinking "Hmm... better take my shirt off.  I'll look more intimidating wielding this stick.  MAN MODE ACTIVATE!"
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Nighthawk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13644 on: September 20, 2014, 03:22:11 pm »

And that is why I firmly believe that they need some balancing tweaks. Beating an enemy that can appear early-game and is too fast to flee from shouldn't require you to take off your clothes and pray to the RNG that you manage to hit it. That's just mean.

Lack of knowledge is not an excuse to do nothing, it's an excuse to go and gain that knowledge.
I get the distinct impression that I'm being guilt-tripped for having an opinion here. Albeit in a very clever and wise-man-sounding way.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2014, 03:23:42 pm by Nighthawk »

gimlet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13645 on: September 20, 2014, 03:36:23 pm »

Or, just as a *general* good idea, how about don't put on so many clothes that you're like a walking laundry pile?  Especially before your untrained self has learned enough about fighting to be able to overcome a little encumbrance...

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13646 on: September 20, 2014, 03:37:22 pm »

I manage to beat them just fine, but I also tend to start with 2 in melee and dodge.  All the stats and positive traits in the world won't help you if you can't live past day 1.  I kinda figure that if you don't take a point in a combat skill at all at the beginning there SHOULD be at least one critter that can ruin your day early.

You could always throw rocks while hiding behind a bush.  You'll probably get messed up a bit but hopefully those points you didn't put into combat will give you another advantage to even it out.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Nighthawk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13647 on: September 20, 2014, 03:42:41 pm »

Or, just as a *general* good idea, how about don't put on so many clothes that you're like a walking laundry pile?  Especially before your untrained self has learned enough about fighting to be able to overcome a little encumbrance...
As for that, I always ensure that ALL encumbrance (except for head of course, because it doesn't matter) remains at 0 at least until my dodge and melee skills are at 3 or above. ALWAYS. I still get killed by skeledogs.

I manage to beat them just fine, but I also tend to start with 2 in melee and dodge.  All the stats and positive traits in the world won't help you if you can't live past day 1.  I kinda figure that if you don't take a point in a combat skill at all at the beginning there SHOULD be at least one critter that can ruin your day early.

You could always throw rocks while hiding behind a bush.  You'll probably get messed up a bit but hopefully those points you didn't put into combat will give you another advantage to even it out.
My "stylish maid" template is required to start with no combat skills because roleplaying. I also dislike the idea that a certain build is basically enforced from the beginning of the game due to the incredible difficulty of surviving the first day. It seems to discourage having lots of options in the character creator in the first place.

I don't think surviving the start of the game should be skeleton-dog/Mi-go roulette. You should be able to survive it even as a shower victim with below-average stats, assuming you play smart.

If you haven't noticed, I'm really adamant on this point. I'm sorry if I come off as jerkish because of that.

The Darkling Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Arf!
    • View Profile
    • Cataclysm - Dark Days Ahead
« Reply #13648 on: September 20, 2014, 03:47:51 pm »

I get the distinct impression that I'm being guilt-tripped for having an opinion here. Albeit in a very clever and wise-man-sounding way.
Nah, I'm not tryin' to guilt trip nobody. Just want to get more people into creating and tinkering with the game, and by proxy more people programming things in general.
My cabbages!
[Thunderfury, Blessed Blade of the Windseeker]

I am fat, eating is my great joy.

n9103

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam
« Reply #13649 on: September 20, 2014, 03:50:52 pm »

I can agree with the ability to survive a skeledog, but Mi-gos?
Those can be deadly to even a veteran character with some bad rolls.
They have a reduced sight range, so in most cases it's gonna be your own fault for aggro.
Pages: 1 ... 908 909 [910] 911 912 ... 1086