Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 898 899 [900] 901 902 ... 1086

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!  (Read 1860516 times)

ollobrains

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!
« Reply #13485 on: September 08, 2014, 07:15:07 pm »

and tossing that jackhammer wih accuracy against a fast moving dog

vastaghen12

• Bay Watcher
  • [BIOME_SUPPORT: ANY_COMPUTER:1]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13486 on: September 08, 2014, 07:47:36 pm »

A few versions ago gold bars were excellent throwing weapons, doing something about 40-60 damage per throw.

You could only throw them one tile away however, presumably you just held the bar above the zombie's head and let it plunge downwards for maximum damage.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2014, 07:50:02 pm by vastaghen12 »

ollobrains

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13487 on: September 08, 2014, 07:49:08 pm »

how do gold bars compare now damage wise

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #13488 on: September 08, 2014, 08:58:39 pm »

Dunno, haven't tried that.

Anybody tried a continuation of the Hoder's tileset? I used that one when I first started playing and it's the only one that feels like true Cataclysm to me, but the fact that it's missing a lot of tiles is both irksome and sad. I turned the infuriating purple cross-out circle into an ugly black question mark to get the eyesore off of my face.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #13489 on: September 08, 2014, 09:11:51 pm »

Terminal version FTW.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

azmodean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13490 on: September 08, 2014, 09:41:35 pm »

Can we please have an alert when we're hurt while moving stuff?
You can has yes.  Just so you know, that was NOT a simple ask, it took a solid two weeks of development time to make it happen.
Any news on the "let's not destroy the save at death to let player savescum if they died a BS death" front?
Last thing I did with this was to make it stash the save in a graveyard folder, but that was only on linux because I can't test on windows, and I'm not sure it still does that anymore.
While preparing for my partial-unloading experiment, I had an idea.  I could just change it so that submaps marked as your "base camp" don't get unloaded.
For fires it doesn't really help.  It's precisely places that you just visit and set on fire that are the issue.
I don't think Jesus died from thorns being pushed into his brain. RTFA

n9103

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam
« Reply #13491 on: September 08, 2014, 10:06:39 pm »

Perhaps throwing a up a map flag anytime a large fire is created, and tracking those as well as the home base? (Something like "░:Large Fire Seen" [For reference, that's character 176 from CP 437])
Between that (assuming it's possible) and just killing off small fires that leave the reality bubble, should work well enough to simulate full tracking.

E: a small word
« Last Edit: September 08, 2014, 11:16:35 pm by n9103 »

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13492 on: September 08, 2014, 11:11:54 pm »

New record!

I picked the Bad Day start (drunk, depressed, naked, starting house is on fire, and the flu). I had just enough time to grab a long scarf before the house collapsed in on me and as I staggered outside I got jumped by a zombie brute and mi go. Grand total of 10 steps in that game. The end.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13493 on: September 08, 2014, 11:18:58 pm »

While preparing for my partial-unloading experiment, I had an idea.  I could just change it so that submaps marked as your "base camp" don't get unloaded.

It would be much simpler to implement, allows fires to burn, and allows the player some control over how much extra processing is done, but it is less intuitive and less realistic/powerful.

Any opinions?

I think being able to select an area to be realistically processed would help trim down the amount of work the devteam has to do, at least for now, while solving most of the annoying problems caused by reality bubble weirdness. The way I see it, there should be a few different levels of offloadedness: Your designated base, which would be processed in real time. Places you've visited and set on fire, which would be processed using some kind of special fire spreading algorithm. Perhaps something in between for some locations? Having fungal blooms and the like grow and expand would be interesting, if somewhat difficult to balance. The main problem I see with the base being processed differently is that it might accumulate more random spawn encounters then completely offloaded tiles, making it a deathtrap if left alone for long enough periods of time. Unless you're an unstoppable badass who mows down zombears with both hands tied behind his back, in which case its just inconvenient.

Started a new game as a martial artist trained in Karate[Because why not?]. My starting evac shelter was overrun with zombies, including a few advanced types like a shocker, a smoker, a necromancer and a cop. Usually, what I would do is run for the hills and fail at surviving with zero shelter or items. This time? This time I fought back. And killed all of them with my fists/legs/limbs of steel. And got out alive. Horrifically maimed, true, but alive.

New record!

I picked the Bad Day start (drunk, depressed, naked, starting house is on fire, and the flu). I had just enough time to grab a long scarf before the house collapsed in on me and as I staggered outside I got jumped by a zombie brute and mi go. Grand total of 10 steps in that game. The end.

You get to choose starting scenarios in the newest experimental? And flaming buildings collapse?
* Arcvasti is distracted by the shiny new Cataclysm[/me[

EDIT:

Wait, this game has a built in tutorial? That would have been good to know. A little earlier. When I didn't know how to knife.

« Last Edit: September 08, 2014, 11:26:26 pm by Arcvasti »
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13494 on: September 08, 2014, 11:44:09 pm »

New record!

You get to choose starting scenarios in the newest experimental? And flaming buildings collapse?
* Arcvasti is distracted by the shiny new Cataclysm

They're mostly a wide array of "You start surrounded and are hopelessly fucked. Pick a flavor."

As for the remotely loaded reality bubble... I think the processor overhead for that kind of thing is prohibitive compared to the potential gains. Special one-off cases like a sniper scope letting you expand your local bubble only, or a remote car with a camera, would be okay, but the big stuff like large fires or checking for solar charge/energy expenditure would be more efficiently done with a tile-by-tile timestamp check as the local chunk gets reloaded into memory.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.

Kaitol

• Bay Watcher
  • Heya, Red.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13495 on: September 09, 2014, 12:53:58 am »

Remote car with a camera. Are you talking about an RC car, or a car with a camera installed so you can so whos trying to jack your car and then promptly remote activate your plasma turrets to fry their ass, ala a more lethal batmobile.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13496 on: September 09, 2014, 01:29:01 am »

I was talking about an RC car with a tiny camera and laptop feed... buuuut I like your idea of a grenade-powered ejection seat better.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #13497 on: September 09, 2014, 01:49:58 am »

You can has yes.  Just so you know, that was NOT a simple ask, it took a solid two weeks of development time to make it happen.

Thanks a lot! :)

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

DreamThorn

• Bay Watcher
  • Seer of Void
    • View Profile
    • My game dev hobby blog (updates almost never)
« Reply #13498 on: September 09, 2014, 02:02:05 am »

Well, the power stuff is a reasonably simple calculation at the moment.  But then, I have no idea how many active non-moving vehicles there are in the world, which is part of what makes the partial-unloading so complex to implement.

The remote reality bubble will be much smaller than the current reality bubble; about the size of a house.  I expect an 11%-44% increase in simulation processing time per remote bubble, so you probably shouldn't spam them.
This is what happens when we randomly murder people.

You get attacked by a Yandere triangle monster.

Eclectic Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • Vinum Sabbathi
    • View Profile
« Reply #13499 on: September 09, 2014, 03:00:11 am »

Does anybody here know good strategies for surviving zombie dogs? I usually just turn them off because they really put the game out of balance.
But is there any way to survive a zombie dog attack without a shotgun? I usually spawn in places without gun stores or gun stores placed deep inside a really zombie infested city.
Black chant mirrors the song of the stars
Open the abyss dreamt from afar
Abominations drawn to our dimension
Feed black desires, aid human ascension
Pages: 1 ... 898 899 [900] 901 902 ... 1086