Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 889 890 [891] 892 893 ... 1086

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!  (Read 1860449 times)

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!
« Reply #13350 on: September 02, 2014, 09:35:21 pm »

The real problem with turrets is that when in a lab or military bunker or whatnot, opening a door can be instantly fatal with no real way of knowing that there is full auto death on the other side...
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13351 on: September 02, 2014, 09:59:36 pm »

The real problem with turrets is that when in a lab or military bunker or whatnot, opening a door can be instantly fatal with no real way of knowing that there is full auto death on the other side...
Open the door from the side and use 'x' to peek around the corner, it'll save your life since you're less likely to get hit and the turret gets less shots off at you.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #13352 on: September 02, 2014, 10:16:20 pm »

Open the door from the side and use 'x' to peek around the corner, it'll save your life since you're less likely to get hit and the turret gets less shots off at you.
But doing that for EVERY. SINGLE. DOOR... ugh, its kinda a death by boredom thing.
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13353 on: September 02, 2014, 10:54:36 pm »

But doing that for EVERY. SINGLE. DOOR... ugh, its kinda a death by boredom thing.

Actually, I found a good way of dealing with turrets: First, have some way to see at night. Without you carrying light sources, they can't instasnipe you from the doorway. Second, just throw everything made of metal you have on you at them until they die. Suddenly, all that inventory space dedicated to wrenches, bolt cutters, hammers, welders, and other assorted tools is put to good use. Plus there are usually dissector rooms FULL of metal sharp things good for throwing nearby. This worked especially well since the character I usually do that with had absurd throwing skill from tossing hundreds of units of firewood into his firepit from the next square over. With lesser throwing skill, your mileage may vary.

^This might not work against military turrets as I haven't encountered those yet and they may be more dangerous.

I finally mostly finished making my awesome mobile base supercar with welding, forging, cooking, chemistry and storage units. Then it came time to replace the gas tanks. I realized only then, that there were no gas stations on my map. Not a problem, I thought, lets just use ELECTRIC power. After all, its better for the environment! So I scrounge up an electric motor, a storage battery and a solar panel. ONE solar panel. Couldn't find the parts for more. Then I realize something else: Solar panels only charge when its sunny. And when they're within your reality bubble. And when the blue moon is out. That wouldn't be much of a problem if it was right next to my base so I could move into it full time. Spending time sleeping in it during the daytime would probably charge it up fine. But its not next to my shelter. Its all the way over in the town. I could drive it to the shelter and transfer all my stuff to it. But I need electric power for that. And I'm basically out of batteries to jump start the process. Turns out using only a makeshift welder to refit and refurbish an entire car will do that. I've raided every hotplate, radio, flashlight and aluminum can in the whole town and science lab for batteries. So I'm going to have to wait next to the car on a sunny day until its got enough juice to be drivable. Which is boring. Bluh.
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

Blaze

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chaos that Crawls up on you with a Smile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13354 on: September 02, 2014, 10:58:20 pm »

You could drag it over, if the vehicle isn't too heavy.

An extra-light frame with a solar panel, caster wheels, and a battery probably wouldn't slow you down too much if you drag it around with you.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #13355 on: September 02, 2014, 11:13:57 pm »

IIRC they will still charge on clear days as well, just less.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #13356 on: September 02, 2014, 11:56:30 pm »

Pure sulfuric acid already falls from the sky.

The last car on earth will not change much if it uses gas.

Gas stations are everywhere, anyway.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #13357 on: September 03, 2014, 12:03:51 am »

I'm not sure how much coding it would take, but I'd like to see an ethanol-powered engine at some point. Out of fuel? Distill your own!
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13358 on: September 03, 2014, 12:42:57 am »

I'm not sure how much coding it would take, but I'd like to see an ethanol-powered engine at some point. Out of fuel? Distill your own!
Ethanol engine would require an Ethanol tank. An ethanol tank means you can stick a spout on it and chug booze straight up from your car.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

Knight of Fools

• Bay Watcher
  • From Start to Beginning
    • View Profile
    • Knight of Fools
« Reply #13359 on: September 03, 2014, 01:10:05 am »

Isn't there a story about driving an experimental car over the border using tequila to avoid taxes?
Proud Member of the Zombie Horse Executioner Squad. "This Horse ain't quite dead yet."

I don't have a British accent, but I still did a YouTube.

DreamThorn

• Bay Watcher
  • Seer of Void
    • View Profile
    • My game dev hobby blog (updates almost never)
« Reply #13360 on: September 03, 2014, 01:16:46 am »

I really want to start playing this again, but that will have to wait until next week. :( I really like the almost ZX Spectrum look of that new tileset.

I'm also looking into making some reality bubble improvements.  If I can get the unmodified code to compile.  (That's my main gripe with C++, btw. 8) )
This is what happens when we randomly murder people.

You get attacked by a Yandere triangle monster.

KA101

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13361 on: September 03, 2014, 01:32:07 am »

Milspec turrets are specially improved to deter rock-throwing (the previous turret-clearance tactic of choice).  And they fire a larger burst of higher-powered ammo.  Be respectful of 'em.

And we'd love to see diesel (assume biodiesel is indistinguishable, the last PR died because the modder got hung up on that), ethanol, or even steam engines.

As for the reality bubble... lateral expansion would be hell on processor resources.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #13362 on: September 03, 2014, 02:22:20 am »

Well, maybe you could expand it only to fire, crops and solar panels-equipped vehicles?

Anyway, is it normal for turrets to just spawn into existence? I was back at a bunker I had already walked in front of and got 1HKO by a milspec.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

DreamThorn

• Bay Watcher
  • Seer of Void
    • View Profile
    • My game dev hobby blog (updates almost never)
« Reply #13363 on: September 03, 2014, 02:29:29 am »

As for the reality bubble... lateral expansion would be hell on processor resources.

Which is why I'll be trying something a bit more complicated; partial unloading.  It will keep the super-simple things working, but unload everything that takes either lots of processing or no processing at all.  That's the plan so far at least.
This is what happens when we randomly murder people.

You get attacked by a Yandere triangle monster.

Zireael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13364 on: September 03, 2014, 05:18:18 am »

Well, maybe you could expand it only to fire, crops and solar panels-equipped vehicles?

Anyway, is it normal for turrets to just spawn into existence? I was back at a bunker I had already walked in front of and got 1HKO by a milspec.

Sounds like a bug.
Pages: 1 ... 889 890 [891] 892 893 ... 1086