Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 874 875 [876] 877 878 ... 1086

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!  (Read 1860607 times)

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!
« Reply #13125 on: August 21, 2014, 09:29:36 pm »

I think wandering hordes is a moving spawn point for zombies. If you keep making noise in an area, zombies will continue to spawn there. I Don't like it too much, I was expecting massive hordes of zombies that needed to be avoided or destroyed, but nope, infinite zombie spawn where ever you are.
They do have a limited population though.

It only looked like the Z's were multiplying and appearing from nothing, but if you keep killing zombies, the Z's on the map will lessen?

Also, thinking that it was a type of special horde that could move outside the reality bubble made me wish for that. Will that ever be added and if not, could it be added tot he list of thing to be added?
Very doubtful that it's a moving spawn point in my opinion--I was sleeping QUIETLY on a farm on the outskirts of town with all clear on the surrounding 10-world-map tile radius.
I went to sleep.
I woke up to glass breaking and a triad of five z-dogs trying to rip me apart on the bed. I got out after punching them in the nose for superiority, and saw shockers, brutes, and many other special z's amongst the other normal ones. The map showed a large 'horde' in my area.
I was quieter than a mouse. I was a mouse that didn't exist! >_>

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13126 on: August 21, 2014, 09:57:09 pm »

That's kinda odd. So far I've been at my current podunk town for more than a week with my clumsy parkour biker archer (sounded funny in my head), and despite being the noisiest asshole I've ever played - who can bring a zed running from 3 tiles... He's never irritated a wandering horde like that.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

azmodean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13127 on: August 22, 2014, 12:38:23 am »

That's one of the things about dynamic spawn, it's time or noise, either one does it, so sleeping in a horde area means they'll keep spawning too.
I don't think Jesus died from thorns being pushed into his brain. RTFA

Kaitol

• Bay Watcher
  • Heya, Red.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13128 on: August 22, 2014, 01:52:33 am »

Noise just makes them spawn FASTER. Either way, theres a horde moving through your area, and if one of those dogs picks up your scent... making a lot of noise just draws their attention quicker. It's actually kinda realistic. You can hide... but I'm pretty sure zombie dogs are excellent at picking up scents, and they'll make noise breaking windows and doors which will draw the rest over.

It would behoove you to have enough traps set up around your points of entry to take care of small packs of dogs before they can break stuff trying to get you. Preferably silent traps.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13129 on: August 22, 2014, 02:15:15 am »

Thanks for the advice, when I settle in somewhere more permanent I'll see what I can do, if I keep playing this character. I haven't played archery in a long time, and while it's been balanced/nerfed to sane levels, it's inaccurate enough to be painfully unfun and ineffective vs basically anything.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #13130 on: August 22, 2014, 08:31:36 am »

That's one of the things about dynamic spawn, it's time or noise, either one does it, so sleeping in a horde area means they'll keep spawning too.
So Wandering hordes == Dynamic spawn! :x
I was wondering where that option went. I had static spawn to On and Wandering Horde to On.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13131 on: August 22, 2014, 08:44:40 am »

setting static to off does not mean you're disabling spawning altogether

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13132 on: August 22, 2014, 08:51:34 am »

It sounds like what needs to be done is that horde spawned monsters be given a tweaked AI that tells them to move in the direction the horde was moving instead of standing around (like standing/wandering, obviously this stops being true if they notice the player).

That way they wander off the map instead of accumulating over time.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #13133 on: August 22, 2014, 10:07:52 am »

Heh, I just found a joke item (a Granade, specifically) while raiding a lab. Save - backed up.

E: Heh, I didn't quite expect that.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2014, 10:10:15 am by scrdest »
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #13134 on: August 22, 2014, 10:33:39 am »

Yeah, Granades are awesome, if only for the un-sound effect.
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

azmodean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13135 on: August 22, 2014, 11:43:47 am »

GG hit the nail on the head, when hordes move into the reality bubble, the individual members should have a destination on the other side of the bubble set, and if they reach it they should keep going in the same direction as they were already.

So eventually if a horde wanders past you, it should be possible to wait them out as long as you don't attract their attention.
I don't think Jesus died from thorns being pushed into his brain. RTFA

Zireael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13136 on: August 22, 2014, 01:01:52 pm »

I was wondering where that option went. I had static spawn to On and Wandering Horde to On.

Wandering hordes do not equal dynamic spawn. Static spawn off would be dynamic spawn. Hordes are a separate option, but they do use the dynamic spawn code.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #13137 on: August 22, 2014, 01:53:44 pm »

Wandering hordes do not equal dynamic spawn. Static spawn off would be dynamic spawn. Hordes are a separate option, but they do use the dynamic spawn code.
Which means they ARE dynamic spawn. Sure not EVERY zombie is dynamically spawned, but playing with hordes mean a LOT of them are.
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #13138 on: August 22, 2014, 02:17:47 pm »

Which means they ARE dynamic spawn. Sure not EVERY zombie is dynamically spawned, but playing with hordes mean a LOT of them are.

Teal deer: Static spawn to off means ALL zombies are dynaspawned, on means normal zombies are static, hordes are dynamic if enabled.

E: Weird as it might sound, I love that kind of peaceful rhythm you settle into in late game without Dynamic anything. Kinda I Am Legendy kind of feeling.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13139 on: August 22, 2014, 02:37:13 pm »

I liked that stage, too. Once you tame the world around you there's lots of time for personal projects and meditation in between horrendously dangerous lab excursions.
Pages: 1 ... 874 875 [876] 877 878 ... 1086