Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 867 868 [869] 870 871 ... 1086

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!  (Read 1861326 times)

Blaze

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chaos that Crawls up on you with a Smile.
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!
« Reply #13020 on: August 15, 2014, 10:41:02 pm »

Ok so I'm about read to take two solar powered vehicles and turn them into one better one, but have never made a vehicle before. The most I've done is replace tires.

I'm planning on making it 5 spaces wide, idk how many across, with 3 trunks, armor on the front, 2 electrical engines, as many solar cells as I can fit, 2 storage batteries (with the other 1-2 for other uses such as electricity for a base) 4 wheels, and 2 doors. If I wing it and keep it simple should I be ok?
You'll probably have to switch electrical engines to LARGE electrical engines. Having armor, even wooden, will significantly increase your weight. My tiny minibase weighs 452 kg and 2 electric motors just brings it above 50mph safe speed.

1) What are some limits for putting things on the same tiles?
That's a simple question with a broad answer, but for the most part, no two items of the same type (armor takes up the armor slot, etc) and No two items of the same name (for items that don't have slots such as water faucets). A notable exception is the "vehicle" batteries. A storage battery, water tank, plasma tank, gas tank, and small gas tank take up the "fuel" slot; but you can happily install a truck battery, motorcycle batter, and car battery on the same tile along with the previously mentioned storage tanks.
2) Is there a ratio of width to length I should keep to?
Not really, weight is the more important factor here. Just remember it gets harder to turn the wider your vehicle is.
3) How does armor work?
From what I've seen, any damage that vehicle tile takes has a decent chance of being done to the armor instead of the other components of that tiles. Armor does not work on vehicle equipment mounted externally, such as solar panels. (This doesn't seem to be the case in the newer builds). Remember that damage can travel through your vehicle, not just the tiles being hit.
4) How does enclosing your car work? I heard that a board OR roof OR door means that it's protected by the elements, but don't you need a board and a roof?
Nearly all items that obstruct movement (like boards) count as an "IN" tile. To make a tile enclosed, that specific tile and the four tiles around it need to have a roof or be otherwise obstructed.
5) How do doors work, can they be alone on a tile, or should they have a floor/roof and can I armor plate them?
Like pretty much everything else, doors need to be constructed on a frame. External doors act like an "IN" tile when closed, but you can put a roof on them. Internal doors act as a roof even when open, but block sight when closed. You can plate them with armor. You cannot build a floor on a door tile so that's moot.
6) Any tips?
Before going big, I find it best to create a small, efficient vehicle that you can drive around as a cargo carrier. There are lots of car wrecks on roads, you can install a welding rig on your car to dismantle wrecks for building material. Remember that stored items also count towards your car's weight.

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13021 on: August 15, 2014, 11:31:12 pm »

Uh. Do fires not give off heat any more or do I need to put more than five 2x4's into my fireplace for it to work proper?

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13022 on: August 15, 2014, 11:34:20 pm »

Some heat, but it's very short-ranged and short-lived. You may have better luck with making a nest of old clothes or (preferably) a sleeping bag to wear overnight.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13023 on: August 16, 2014, 12:06:56 am »

Yeah I noticed that too, it also happens on the bad traits.

Ifuckinghatewolves.
Bleeding is pretty irritating, since you either need to use medical supplies (early-game, these may be in short supply) or cauterize the wound, which is extremely painful.

They also outspeed you. They're much worse than zombie dogs, which don't inflict bleeding anywhere near as frequently.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #13024 on: August 16, 2014, 01:22:12 am »

Some heat, but it's very short-ranged and short-lived. You may have better luck with making a nest of old clothes or (preferably) a sleeping bag to wear overnight.
They actually do give heat based on how strong the fire is.
Small fire.
Fire.
Raging Fire.

Yeah... :P

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13025 on: August 16, 2014, 01:30:55 am »

Is there some trick to it that I'm missing? I always got average fires no matter how much wood I chucked into the stove. The old trick of using multiple matches doesn't work anymore (or it didn't for me), and even then a fire never lasted the night so I'd just wake up cold around midnight anyway.

I figured it was just easier to spam 4 tailoring and 1 survival for a sleeping bag to bypass the whole mess.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Zireael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13026 on: August 16, 2014, 01:59:23 am »

Woo, off-by-one glitch in the latest experimental.

In the tratis screen, under the good traits, you can go one up past accomplished sleeper. Selecting this "option" crashes the game.

Also it scrolls down to the bottom of the list from addiction resistant instead of on accomplished sleeper.

Yay helping!

E: Also happens on the negative trait side. Player beware!

I hope it gets fixed soon!

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13027 on: August 16, 2014, 06:02:40 am »

Is there some trick to it that I'm missing? I always got average fires no matter how much wood I chucked into the stove. The old trick of using multiple matches doesn't work anymore (or it didn't for me), and even then a fire never lasted the night so I'd just wake up cold around midnight anyway.

I figured it was just easier to spam 4 tailoring and 1 survival for a sleeping bag to bypass the whole mess.

Kill some zombies, tear up their clothes, make a couple of blankets, wear them (and maybe some balcavas) while sleeping. I also think sleeping on the same tile as objects that provide warmth lets your guy use them as a sort of extra blanket if he needs it.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13028 on: August 16, 2014, 07:45:05 am »

Yeah I noticed that too, it also happens on the bad traits.

Ifuckinghatewolves.
Bleeding is pretty irritating, since you either need to use medical supplies (early-game, these may be in short supply) or cauterize the wound, which is extremely painful.

They also outspeed you. They're much worse than zombie dogs, which don't inflict bleeding anywhere near as frequently.
It wouldn't be nearly as bad if the "SafeMode" would acknowledge that wolves are fucking deadly, and warn me when one is getting hostile near me. As it is, I speed on down to my shelter, and all the while a wolf is fucking tearing into my brain, and I don't notice until I'm half-dead and then it's two bites, gone.

I understand that wolves seem to only get hostile if I get close. Great. When I know they're there, I bypass them, and it's gravy. But it doesn't stop me at all? Even after I got close and it started in on my faceholes? :I
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #13029 on: August 16, 2014, 08:14:57 am »

With fires I remember in one game I tried clearing some forest around the Evac Shelter with fire. That caused me to overheat the entire night WHILE INSIDE THE BASEMENT.

You probably don't want a "Raging" fire.
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13030 on: August 16, 2014, 11:17:59 am »

I believe to get a raging fire, you need to spread a fire across multiple tiles, or dump some gasoline on it. I'm not sure which.

With fires I remember in one game I tried clearing some forest around the Evac Shelter with fire. That caused me to overheat the entire night WHILE INSIDE THE BASEMENT.

You probably don't want a "Raging" fire.
Were you wearing a lot of clothing? I thought that, for the moment anyway, that map levels were seperate realities, so a massive fire on the surface shouldn't affect the basement.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Zireael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13031 on: August 16, 2014, 11:41:59 am »

I thought that, for the moment anyway, that map levels were seperate realities, so a massive fire on the surface shouldn't affect the basement.

You are right, they are separate, so a fire above cannot affect the basement.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #13032 on: August 16, 2014, 12:32:41 pm »

Well it was weird, because my mouth was freezing, and my legs were scorching. So I had the "hot" and "freezing" morale affects going on at the same time. Also I guess it might have just been while inside the shelter, and not in the basement.
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #13033 on: August 16, 2014, 03:26:10 pm »

A note, but there's a bit of interface screw on the higher levels of hypothermia, where your player will report it as being "hot" (much like real life, where extreme cold can cause people to think they are overheating). It's fully possible you were freezing to death down there and your character was just confused.

As for the one-off problem, I'll take a look at it today if nobody else has already.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13034 on: August 16, 2014, 03:52:47 pm »

Kill some zombies, tear up their clothes, make a couple of blankets, wear them (and maybe some balcavas) while sleeping. I also think sleeping on the same tile as objects that provide warmth lets your guy use them as a sort of extra blanket if he needs it.
It does. It sounds gross, but assembling a large pile of zombie worn clothes will keep you warm at night, assuming you sleep on it. Also means you don't have to put on blankets at night.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.
Pages: 1 ... 867 868 [869] 870 871 ... 1086