Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 834 835 [836] 837 838 ... 1086

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!  (Read 1860537 times)

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!
« Reply #12525 on: July 20, 2014, 02:53:30 am »

Infections/bites don't recover instantly anymore. Your body takes about 4x as long to recover from an infection/bite that you suffered under it, suffering symptoms relatively to the infection/bite that slowly decrease in severity instead of increasing in it (and it's non-fatal, regardless of how much "healing time needed" you rack up with multiple wounds). Being in a healing state like that also decreases your chance of fighting off future infections on your own.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

etgfrog

• Bay Watcher
  • delete & NULL;
    • View Profile
« Reply #12526 on: July 20, 2014, 03:52:48 am »

So, does that mean using a lighter or knife to remove the infection is the worst way now? I've generally used disinfectant almost constantly whenever I get a bite, I'm curious how that stands compared to the other ways. I'm even more curious is if you fight off the infection without the use of medicine does that change anything in the long run?

Wait...in the latest experimental release(1808), did the terminal size options get removed? Because it doesn't appear on the list however when you move through the list, however it will get selected when you move through the list manually.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2014, 04:38:52 am by etgfrog »
"How dare you get angry after being scammed."

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #12527 on: July 20, 2014, 01:18:15 pm »

I know that they were accidentally removed for a bit there, but I'm pretty sure it has been fixed already. Barring that they were only hidden, not removed, so you can just manually edit the options text file to make it the appropriate size.

Cauterizing for infection is currently a bit of a gamble. If you succeed right away then it cures it instantly. If, on the other hand, you fail, then it greatly worsens the wound which will lead to longer healing times when you do successfully cauterize it. That said once my next healing rework finishes cauterization won't help infections/bites at all, since in the real world it actually makes those kind of wounds worse and increases your chance of getting infected, not help reduce it.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #12528 on: July 20, 2014, 01:35:21 pm »

Yeah, it's only useful to stop bleeding.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Kaitol

• Bay Watcher
  • Heya, Red.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12529 on: July 20, 2014, 06:40:32 pm »

The only reason cauterization removes infections at all probably is because the game would be an order of magnitude harder if you had to have disinfectant or first aid for every bite, because those are in limited supply and you can go a long time without finding either. Fairly certain an untreated infection is eventually lethal.

As it is its still very costly in pain and charges to cauterize, unless you stop and make a fire.

Oh wait, and now they're changing that.

Well there goes me ever getting a character past day 3.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12530 on: July 20, 2014, 07:22:43 pm »

Nooooooooooooo. Several weeks in with tons of supplies and skills... then landmine plus 2 zombie bears. Beware the bears, one hit kill to a head.

Akhier the Dragon hearted

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #12531 on: July 20, 2014, 07:29:56 pm »

I know that they were accidentally removed for a bit there, but I'm pretty sure it has been fixed already. Barring that they were only hidden, not removed, so you can just manually edit the options text file to make it the appropriate size.

In my latest video I noticed the missing options (1807) and it is even easier to change as while it does remove them from being visible when you go through the list it actually selects them on the way down. Kind of weird but easy to miss and easy to fix.
Join us. The crazy is at a perfect temperature today.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12532 on: July 20, 2014, 09:57:49 pm »

... Instead of -just- disinfectant, can't we use booze to disinfect wounds? The alcohol in the drinks is enough to disinfect in the real world, and it would make the bars and liquor stores a much more viable place to raid.

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #12533 on: July 20, 2014, 10:45:04 pm »

... Instead of -just- disinfectant, can't we use booze to disinfect wounds? The alcohol in the drinks is enough to disinfect in the real world, and it would make the bars and liquor stores a much more viable place to raid.
You can use booze to craft bandages, or even to light a fire for cauterization. Never pour booze, even a high-proof kind, straight into a wound; it irritates the wound unbearably painfully and isn't completely effective in disinfecting.

Unrelated: If I have all the contents of a first aid kit with me, ready to use and put in a container, why does crafting one take 20 minutes and level 3 skill?
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12534 on: July 20, 2014, 10:57:20 pm »

Unrelated: If I have all the contents of a first aid kit with me, ready to use and put in a container, why does crafting one take 20 minutes and level 3 skill?
I can understand the skill, maybe that's the competence to understand 'oh, maybe I need more in my first aid kit than just bandaids and whiskey' and you realize things like disinfectant and gauze are important.

20 minutes, not so sure...

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #12535 on: July 20, 2014, 11:05:59 pm »

How long does it take to actually use a first aid kit?
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12536 on: July 20, 2014, 11:19:48 pm »

How long does it take to actually use a first aid kit?
To USE or to BUILD?
To build, it takes about as long as putting items into a box, like 30 seconds.
To use, depending on the wound you're treating, usually less than 5 minutes.  I've been gifted with an abundance of yard work in poor conditions with old tools, and had to have wounds treated or treat others' wounds, and it's usually a matter of taking out a piece of padding, splashing disinfectant onto it, pressing it to the wound, then wrapping gauze around it to keep it in place.  Doesn't take much time at all, really.

Granted, I've never handled like, a real gash or anything, just really bad scrapes and cuts.

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #12537 on: July 20, 2014, 11:25:28 pm »

I was referring to ingame. If it doesn't take all that much time you could say that it took so long to put together because your setting it up for instant use rather then just jammed in willy nilly.

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #12538 on: July 20, 2014, 11:30:01 pm »

250 time units without Gourmand, 150 with it, the same as any other consumable. That's almost inhumanly fast.
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #12539 on: July 20, 2014, 11:37:29 pm »

Then your using future tech to pack it in so that you hardly have to open the kit up and it is patching your wounds for you.
Pages: 1 ... 834 835 [836] 837 838 ... 1086