Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 819 820 [821] 822 823 ... 1086

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!  (Read 1861042 times)

Farce

• Bay Watcher
  • muttermutterbabble
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!
« Reply #12300 on: June 30, 2014, 07:34:21 am »

Is there anything on the next stable?  The current experimentals still crash without logs on start for me, so I'm hoping maybe the next stable will fix whatever issue is doing that.  A slim hope, but...

Zireael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12301 on: June 30, 2014, 08:17:58 am »

Is there anything on the next stable?  The current experimentals still crash without logs on start for me, so I'm hoping maybe the next stable will fix whatever issue is doing that.  A slim hope, but...

Supposedly 0.B should arrive in July.

KA101

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12302 on: June 30, 2014, 07:22:19 pm »

We're shooting for 11 Jul but that's not very likely to happen.

(And no, I'm not sure why it insta-crashes.  Doesn't for me.  :-( )

azmodean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12303 on: June 30, 2014, 10:27:51 pm »

You don't seem to understand the process, a stable build is just an experimental build that's "blessed".  We'll try and sort it out before then for sure, but it won't suddenly start working because we call the build stable.
We seem to be getting a number of reports that Win7 doesn't like the program recently.
I don't think Jesus died from thorns being pushed into his brain. RTFA

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12304 on: June 30, 2014, 10:53:54 pm »

This isn't a proper game.  A 'release' isn't like other games where they introduce a new feature, bugfix, then release it as a version.  A 'release' for Cataclysm is literally, "It's been a  few months, let's call THIS a release."

Akhier the Dragon hearted

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #12305 on: June 30, 2014, 11:09:06 pm »

I see the releases as more of a set point for people making tilesets to go for. For stable to mean something more you either need a single developer or a more organized team. Without that the development is to all over the place for things to really settle down enough for a really stable build.
Join us. The crazy is at a perfect temperature today.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

Farce

• Bay Watcher
  • muttermutterbabble
    • View Profile
« Reply #12306 on: July 01, 2014, 12:55:52 am »

Yes, that's why I said a slim hope.  I sorta assumed with a 'stable release' there would be a buncha combing for bugs or issues that might end up finding whatever obscure problem is buggering my ability to play.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #12307 on: July 01, 2014, 01:52:40 am »

Well, or just wait a week or so and grab the next experimental. Could have been fixed.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

azmodean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12308 on: July 01, 2014, 02:21:16 am »

This isn't a proper game.  A 'release' isn't like other games where they introduce a new feature, bugfix, then release it as a version.  A 'release' for Cataclysm is literally, "It's been a  few months, let's call THIS a release."
One feature at a time?  Who does that?
And how exactly does the release model have anything to do with it being a "proper" game?
I don't think Jesus died from thorns being pushed into his brain. RTFA

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #12309 on: July 01, 2014, 03:07:52 am »

I guess he meant "proper" as in "following the standard development process by a game studio". We all love Cataclysm.

Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

teoleo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12310 on: July 01, 2014, 03:25:16 am »

when add a new feature?

Akhier the Dragon hearted

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #12311 on: July 01, 2014, 03:25:49 am »

One feature at a time?  Who does that?
And how exactly does the release model have anything to do with it being a "proper" game?
   I would relate her use of proper more towards the organization of programmers. In CataDDA anyone can work on it and the additions are added in whenever approved. This is quite chaotic when compared to even other roguelikes. Generally either you have one person programming it in which case the development is one thing at a time or you have a team. When a project gets to the team phase a couple of possibilities happen. Either A, no one takes charge and everyone goes barreling off and the project falls apart as the code base splinters or B, A person or small group of people take hold of the development and guides it. Most currently well known big roguelikes that have survived the test of time follow either the single person or small group model. Examples are DCSS, Angband, and Nethack for the group as well as ADoM and Dwarf Fortress for the single person model. Of those I think looking at Angband will be the most enlightening as it not only had the central group but because of easy of modding many other projects splintered off. The proliferation of *bands is an example of a project that ends up without a strong lead and if not for the central Angband team we probably wouldn't have such a defined game.
   CataDDA is actually in an interesting position right now as it isn't a roguelike with a "strong" lead where someone is actively directing development. While there are people in charge who stop things from being included which are too dissimilar from what the general consensus on what CataDDA should be people are not really being assigned things to work on. If you want an example of a more directed roguelike then I advise looking at the DCSS dev blog. Anyway while I disagree with the word proper in the sense that it has a negative connotation, taken from this view it isn't entirely wrong.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2014, 03:29:00 am by Akhier the Dragon hearted »
Join us. The crazy is at a perfect temperature today.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #12312 on: July 01, 2014, 06:41:21 am »

For some reasons, I keep thinking of Girlinhat as a boy. Sorry for the misused 'he' Girlinhat. :/

Shakerag

• Bay Watcher
  • Just here for the schadenfreude.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12313 on: July 01, 2014, 09:01:37 am »

For some reasons, I keep thinking of Girlinhat as a boy. Sorry for the misused 'he' Girlinhat. :/
Girl-in-hat?  >_>

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #12314 on: July 01, 2014, 09:12:31 am »

Yeah, I know. It's really ridiculous, ain't it?

Pages: 1 ... 819 820 [821] 822 823 ... 1086