Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 812 813 [814] 815 816 ... 1086

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!  (Read 1861802 times)

joemoben

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!
« Reply #12195 on: June 18, 2014, 11:29:25 pm »

That is a real problem with any of my games that get beyond a week or so. I'll be camping in my base, and walk out into a field of animals. Zombie dogs will spawn nearby even with static spawn, as will zombears. I have had zombears attack my home three days in a row, despite the fact that I patrol many surrounding tiles. It gets kind of ridiculous sometimes. Animals seem to simply appear wherever my character spends time.
Something about this game makes me wonder why God lets it exist.
Say, if you give birth on a ranch and then murder your baby will a corpse drop be guaranteed?

Akhier the Dragon hearted

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #12196 on: June 18, 2014, 11:54:28 pm »

That is because they do. Static spawn only works with town zombies. The only thing that stops spawns is a roof over a tile. If I ever become crazy enough I might attempt to roof an area big enough that no animals can spawn. Sadly this will be harder then half slabbing an area in Minecraft.
Join us. The crazy is at a perfect temperature today.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12197 on: June 20, 2014, 01:34:06 pm »

I've been looking through github and seeing the improvements being made. It looks like there is a preleminary version of z-levels or something. That's neat.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12198 on: June 20, 2014, 01:53:55 pm »

That is a real problem with any of my games that get beyond a week or so. I'll be camping in my base, and walk out into a field of animals. Zombie dogs will spawn nearby even with static spawn, as will zombears. I have had zombears attack my home three days in a row, despite the fact that I patrol many surrounding tiles. It gets kind of ridiculous sometimes. Animals seem to simply appear wherever my character spends time.
This is why you play with classic zombies.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12199 on: June 20, 2014, 01:56:07 pm »

did you mean to say this is why you grind the fuck out of shockers until you turn into a cyborg robot murderbeast and turn the population of a couple tiles into straight zeroes

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #12200 on: June 20, 2014, 02:13:58 pm »

I've been looking through github and seeing the improvements being made. It looks like there is a preleminary version of z-levels or something. That's neat.

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
Spoiler: OOO (click to show/hide)
T

I am happy
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12201 on: June 20, 2014, 02:32:04 pm »

did you mean to say this is why you grind the fuck out of shockers until you turn into a cyborg robot murderbeast and turn the population of a couple tiles into straight zeroes
No, because I am not totally fond of most of the bionics.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Zireael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12202 on: June 21, 2014, 02:00:22 am »

I sure do hope they keep harmful acid rain, or atleast make it something you can toggle because holy shit I love the added difficulty.
The only creature that is harmed by acid rain now is the player. Everyone else are immune. That is somewhat unfair.

Just introduce the pain for creatures with working nervous system (everyone except zombies, triffids. fungi and blob) and everything will be fair again.

Good point.

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #12203 on: June 21, 2014, 05:57:56 am »

I'd really like to download this again but I'm waiting for animals to be affected by static spawn. It's the only thing that really annoyed me the last time. It would make the game harder not to have unlimited food sources actively seek you out. I made so much bone broth in my Muey Thai blackbelt learning game.
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #12204 on: June 21, 2014, 08:22:07 am »

I'd really like to download this again but I'm waiting for animals to be affected by static spawn. It's the only thing that really annoyed me the last time. It would make the game harder not to have unlimited food sources actively seek you out. I made so much bone broth in my Muey Thai blackbelt learning game.
A static spawn like something is a solution, but its not the only solution.

Eating the same thing over and over again, should really just kill you through malnutrition.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #12205 on: June 21, 2014, 09:30:58 am »

Well, it's not only the food, it's mostly being attacked by a moose or a dog or a bear whenever you leave your house. They aren't insurmountably hard but you'll be seeing if not fighting them constantly.

I had found a stone wall house with a pool on the outskirts of town and moved into it. Zombies were no worry as I cleared out the surrounding area, but animals kept breaking in. I had to break any glass walls myself and raid the town for furniture to disassemble to build wooden walls and boarded up windows, solely to keep out animals both normal and zombified. It would have been nice if I could have just killed all the annoying things. I like that it made me fortify but they weren't really dangerous.

I'd rather see something like the thread title, a horde of zombies very rarely migrating through an area if there needs to be a threat to keep static spawn users from being too safe once they clear out the immediate area. Preferably of a size that I'd likely want to hide from it, as that would give a good reason to have a fortified hideout that you quietly cower inside while listening to zombies go past outside. It would be cool if you could deplete this horde, so it would be less of a threat if you kill a lot of them. I think it would be more fun than it being a form of mobile non-static spawn. Maybe there could be a new type of zombie to lead them around, or for the horde to consist of. Perhaps you could see the horde on the map if you have line of sight to them, perhaps through climbing a tower or other high point. That would allow you to see the direction they are headed and if they get close, you hear them coming before the leading edge is in sight, so they can be avoided or hidden from with relative ease considering it would be a great many of them coming your way.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2014, 09:41:51 am by Duuvian »
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

anexiledone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12206 on: June 21, 2014, 12:51:25 pm »

I had a bear break through my window while my guy was sleeping. I didn't wake up to this for some strange reason and the bear attacked me. I should have been toast. 5 shots from my 22 with FMJ ammo and he was gone.

I wish they'd tone down the aggressiveness and the spawning of wildlife. I'm only about an hour walk from town in the game so it's not like I'm in the middle of nowhere. I understand seeing tons of racoons and small woodland creatures, but to step out of my house and see multiple moose, bear, dogs, etc, it's kind of crazy.

Plus side, I have charcoal for days. After culling the gaggle of beasts for a week, my survival went from 4 to 9. I like to imagine there is a small hole in the atmosphere above my safehouse, and my constant charcoal burning is causing the daily acid rain I experience.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12207 on: June 21, 2014, 01:20:52 pm »

Yeah wild animal spawning reduced by about half seems like a decent idea. There was a point with one of my melee guys where I killed a zombear, a regular bear, 2 moose, 4 wolves, a dog, and a cougar within sight of the shelter just to cook food in peace. It is nice for charcoal, though...
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Zireael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12208 on: June 21, 2014, 01:59:18 pm »

Eating the same thing over and over again, should really just kill you through malnutrition.

Been already suggested :)

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12209 on: June 21, 2014, 02:04:28 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Pages: 1 ... 812 813 [814] 815 816 ... 1086