Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 806 807 [808] 809 810 ... 1086

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!  (Read 1861543 times)

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!
« Reply #12105 on: June 11, 2014, 04:06:04 pm »

Smashing is faster depending on your weapon.
It can damage your weapon, though. Depending on weapon, similar to melee combat. Put simply, smashing corpses to a pulp with a handmade bow is not a good idea if you value the bow.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #12106 on: June 11, 2014, 04:56:45 pm »

Smashing is faster depending on your weapon.
It can damage your weapon, though. Depending on weapon, similar to melee combat. Put simply, smashing corpses to a pulp with a handmade bow is not a good idea if you value the bow.

Cataclysm, providing vital life lessons since 20--whenever.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Ruludos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12107 on: June 11, 2014, 05:13:30 pm »

Alright. I'll stick to butchering, but it's nice to know I can destroy zombie bodies more quickly.

Right now I'm hunting for an infinite source of water. I've started to use notes more frequently now The game says I can change the icon of the note by typing X:Text, but I've tried putting X:E at the front and end of the note and it just adds it to the note text (creating a note that reads X:E Triffs, for example). Any idea how that's actually supposed to work?

Also, I picked up a taser to try on the next manhack I found, but I've found two groups of dead scientists, but no zombie ones ;l
« Last Edit: June 11, 2014, 05:18:01 pm by Ruludos »

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12108 on: June 11, 2014, 05:17:59 pm »

From what I've seen you put the "X:" on the front.  It might break if you put it on both the front and back.  Also it won't show if yer standing on the tile.

P.S. I donno if it's in stable but you can use semicolon(;) to designate a color too.  Like  "$:B;Basement Guns" Should make a map note with a Blue Dollarsign symbol with the message Basement guns when cursor'd over.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Ruludos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12109 on: June 11, 2014, 05:19:26 pm »

Oh, that was my problem. I was under the assumption that the syntax would be "X:Symbol Note Text," not "Symbol:Note Text" ;p

Pretty silly of me. Thanks.

Nighthawk

• Bay Watcher
  • INT Score: Yes
    • View Profile
« Reply #12110 on: June 11, 2014, 06:27:16 pm »

Is the experimental version currently looking at a way to increase stats without getting mutations? I'd like to know because that's something I've been wanting for a while (and I usually don't touch experimental builds).

Not sure if it would be a good idea to have any sort of system for stat gain, but what I do know is it's annoying to be limited to what you can do for the rest of the game simply because of your starting stats (again, assuming you don't want to play mutation roulette).

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #12111 on: June 11, 2014, 07:26:35 pm »

Is the experimental version currently looking at a way to increase stats without getting mutations? I'd like to know because that's something I've been wanting for a while (and I usually don't touch experimental builds).

Not sure if it would be a good idea to have any sort of system for stat gain, but what I do know is it's annoying to be limited to what you can do for the rest of the game simply because of your starting stats (again, assuming you don't want to play mutation roulette).
There are the CBMs for it...
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #12112 on: June 11, 2014, 10:12:22 pm »

Really enjoying my latest character. Got into Winter, kinda annoying how cold it is, but whatever. Building an awesome vehicle that is solar powered, can reach speeds up to 400kph and has 4 trunks with room for adding another 4. In fact, I'll probably add some petrol/water tanks next.

Also, fuck upgraded solar panels. What is the point of hard/military composite plating if they oeep getting damaged by every bush?

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12113 on: June 11, 2014, 10:16:52 pm »

I actually haven't had much trouble with them, though I consider a solar car so fragile that I won't even hit a squirrel in it, and always mount the panels on the back of my trikes.

If stuff is hitting them directly you might wanna add another layer of frame in front of them to absorb the hit. I've taken to doing that to protect headlights, as even the reinforced ones can't take a good solid hit.

If it's just propagating through the car I donno what would protect them, maybe turning them into reinforced panels? They might be able to take the splash if they are bulkier.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #12114 on: June 11, 2014, 10:51:45 pm »

Maybe. Also, nodachis are incredibly OP. I get my hands on one, never need another weapon in the game. Hell, all the 'real' weapons you can find in pawn shops and museums are really useful.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12115 on: June 12, 2014, 12:25:41 am »

I like the nodachi but once your skill gets really high I find I'm better served by a lower volume melee weapon.  Once you get up to 7 or 8 skill or so the crazy high damage seems less useful than the ability to actually put your weapon in your pack if you need to carry something big.

In my current game I have a zweihander, broadsword, and quarterstaff, I found a Nodachi in an antique store but left it behind since I didn't have the volume to carry it to my car.  But despite the zweihander having more damage and the quarterstaff being a bashing weapon (which I had 6 skill in compared to 0 in cutting) I am currently carrying around a broadsword.

The broadsword does enough damage to kill everything before it gets a hit in, or at least everything I wouldn't draw my pistol on, and it's half the volume of the zweihander allowing me to put my sword away to pick up a jerrycan or something without having to drop everything.  I can carry my sword and my half dozen throwing knives in the same space taken up by a Big ol 2-hander.  (That said, if you found a scabbard to put the thing in so it's not a volume problem, bigger would probably be better.)

azmodean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12116 on: June 12, 2014, 12:57:45 am »

Didn't know you could 's'mash corpses. Any benefit to this over butchering them (for survival xp)?
's'mashing splatters blood everywhere also.
I don't think Jesus died from thorns being pushed into his brain. RTFA

Kaitol

• Bay Watcher
  • Heya, Red.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12117 on: June 12, 2014, 01:19:42 am »

Which is bad if it was a spitter.

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #12118 on: June 12, 2014, 02:15:31 am »

Greiger, boost your tailoring and I think... Fabrication skills to make scabbards. It is possible to wear:
A tank top
An undershirt
A light survivor suit
Two scabbards
A tool belt
A chest rig (I think)
With 0 torso encumbrance. I have a nodachi and wazikashi, along with a tanto in a sheath, a trench knife in a boot and a single shot 12 gauge pistol in my holster. Hell, with the above kit out I can carry a military rucksack in my inventory for loot emergencies.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #12119 on: June 12, 2014, 08:57:43 am »

Took your advice and avoided any serious town raids. After looting a few houses on the outskirts of town I found a gas station in the wilderness and settled down. With a bit of extra equipment you can survive without entering towns at all. I actually found science labs to be relatively risk-free sources of batteries and other miscellaneous goodies.
Died on day ten when I got a bit overconfident and tried to raid a school. Fired a grenade launcher through the front door and killed a half-dozen zombies; by the time I had reloaded another dozen were on top of me.

Schools are pretty hard. You're looking at probably a hundred or so zombie children, plus a dozen or so adult "teacher" zombies. Your best bet is using ranged weapons, staying outside, and summoning the horde with something loud. Explosives are useful, but watch those reload times. Magazine loaded rifles/pistols are better choice, and bows are great if you've found the Fletcher's Friend and Bowyers Buddy.

One tactic for melee is to build a wall of fire out of zombie child corpses. Pick your battlefield, call the horde, and every time one dies in an empty space next to you light the square on fire. Be sure to quickly check the ground under each body, as zombie children carry Malted Milk Balls, Chocolate Bars, and Candies that can help offset the morale penalty of murdering a school full of children.
The best tactic I found against schools (as I've mentioned before, I believe) is simple, portable, and reusable traps. Like caltrops, or nailboards. Dismantle the benches in your shelter, make nailboards, and trap a solid rectangle at least two tiles across, preferably three, anywhere next to the school. Then draw the "inhabitants" out. Three tiles worth of nailboard is enough to kill most simple zombies, so if you make something like a 3x5 rectangle and hide behind it, almost nothing will reach you.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India
Pages: 1 ... 806 807 [808] 809 810 ... 1086