Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 804 805 [806] 807 808 ... 1086

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!  (Read 1861270 times)

gigaraptor487

• Bay Watcher
  • Escaped Lunatic now civilised
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!
« Reply #12075 on: June 07, 2014, 05:24:10 pm »

Custom loads out of a shotgun

It is cool to watch how ineffectual some of the shells are
Hehe, you thought there would be an interesting sig here

I now run a program which brings old multiplayer games back to life : click

n9103

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam
« Reply #12076 on: June 07, 2014, 05:37:50 pm »

Taofledermaus has a lot of these kind of videos as well. He's also got a playlist on the highly economical Wax Slugs.

Ruludos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12077 on: June 07, 2014, 05:40:48 pm »

Started playing this, and it's a blast.

Let me rephrase that; my characters are a blast. My longest-lived one got two days in; I got the leg tentacle mutation and thought it was awesome up until the point where I couldn't outrun a green zed.

My latest game got off to an amazing start, though; I decided to make a knife spear before searching the basement, just because I could see the rocks and sticks I needed from the window. Turns out the basement had two zeds, a nasty surprise indeed; a much better surprise was that it was also filled to the brim with loot, including but not limited to a hotplate, a wood axe(!), and a literal ton of food. At this point one lucky house raid will get me set for life.

FAKEEDIT:
There was an intact bicycle outside of the mine entrance. All I have to do now is not drink bleach and I'll be okay.

Nighthawk

• Bay Watcher
  • INT Score: Yes
    • View Profile
« Reply #12078 on: June 07, 2014, 10:16:29 pm »

Just read the description for a bar of soap:
"A cleansing agent made into bars. Don't drop it!"

All my yes.

guessingo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12079 on: June 08, 2014, 02:48:53 pm »

Started playing this, and it's a blast.

Let me rephrase that; my characters are a blast. My longest-lived one got two days in; I got the leg tentacle mutation and thought it was awesome up until the point where I couldn't outrun a green zed.

My latest game got off to an amazing start, though; I decided to make a knife spear before searching the basement, just because I could see the rocks and sticks I needed from the window. Turns out the basement had two zeds, a nasty surprise indeed; a much better surprise was that it was also filled to the brim with loot, including but not limited to a hotplate, a wood axe(!), and a literal ton of food. At this point one lucky house raid will get me set for life.

FAKEEDIT:
There was an intact bicycle outside of the mine entrance. All I have to do now is not drink bleach and I'll be okay.

stay out of town and survive in the wilderness. look at crafting. you can craft water, and get food and then train up stats. Wander outside of town far and wide. Mark the map for what you find. Lots of corpses, traps, supply dump. can't bring everything back at once. This is what you should look for. Do this during the day. Go back to your base and go to sleep at night. Maybe go into a science lab if you find one and find a card. Those are harder now. but get some skills up.

get night vision as a trait. you should only go into town at night if you are tough and this gives you useful seeing distance.

if your only living for 2 days, you should stay out of town.

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12080 on: June 08, 2014, 06:19:57 pm »

If you have to go to town then pick a base building and take a few steps add some deferences.
A simple board with nails in it, can help with a hallway.
Pull shut the blinds and drag a bookcase in fount of the door.
boarding up a window help buy to time as well.
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #12081 on: June 08, 2014, 07:48:09 pm »

If you have to go to town then pick a base building and take a few steps add some deferences.
A simple board with nails in it, can help with a hallway.
Pull shut the blinds and drag a bookcase in fount of the door.
boarding up a window help buy to time as well.
Abandoned stores are good for this. You can beat your way into the back door and then just barricade the storage room with display racks.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Ruludos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12082 on: June 08, 2014, 09:50:42 pm »

Took your advice and avoided any serious town raids. After looting a few houses on the outskirts of town I found a gas station in the wilderness and settled down. With a bit of extra equipment you can survive without entering towns at all. I actually found science labs to be relatively risk-free sources of batteries and other miscellaneous goodies.
Died on day ten when I got a bit overconfident and tried to raid a school. Fired a grenade launcher through the front door and killed a half-dozen zombies; by the time I had reloaded another dozen were on top of me.

azmodean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12083 on: June 08, 2014, 10:56:21 pm »

Yea difficulty is pretty inconsistent, labs really need some more challenge to go with the rewards.
I don't think Jesus died from thorns being pushed into his brain. RTFA

Ruludos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12084 on: June 08, 2014, 11:25:31 pm »

There's the odd turret waiting in ambush, but they're not that hard to just avoid. There's locked doors that presumably need computer skill to hack through; my assumption was that the good stuff was behind them, with security to match.

Steelmagic

• Bay Watcher
  • Insanity makes everything fun!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12085 on: June 08, 2014, 11:29:18 pm »

There's usually not very much resistance in labs I go to, even behind the doors.
When i say "I'm no expert but..." It means "I have no idea what the hell I'm talking about but I'm going to try to sound like i do."

Rez

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12086 on: June 08, 2014, 11:51:48 pm »

There's danger to labs, but we mostly know how to avoid it all.  The dangers in labs are mostly well separated by darkness, doors, and accessible z-levels.  Maybe labs should be inhabited by more mobile enemies, so knowledge about the general layout would be less efficient at keeping you safe.

I thought the chilly lab was an interesting challenge, though I don't recall finding any good loot when I was exploring it.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12087 on: June 09, 2014, 12:06:45 am »

Probably even just having a chance of a scientist zed spawning in each one of the rooms would up the challenge quite a bit.  The manhack they spawn can chip away at a melee char before they can react, you can shoot them, but then you have ammo shortages for long expeditions.

As it is right now an interior of a lab is almost safer than an outdoor field.

Unrelated I like how somebody seems to be working a bit on NPCs now in the latest experimental, it looks like there's an actual option for ditching them now.  Once I saw that I decided to try to go a little farther with an NPC buddy than a meat shield. 

I found a stash of all kinds of katanas and scabbards in a mansion, and decided to do something I would have considered suicidal previously, I armed my meat shield buddy with a Nodachi and set their combat options to stay near me.  2 Melee skill on me, judging from the training screen of my NPC 0 combat skills on the NPC and we are now some kind of unholy zombie blender.  It's far harder to window or shrub kite with the npc but when we're both wailing on something it drops in record time.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2014, 12:16:09 am by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Noel.se

• Bay Watcher
  • Always lurking. Always watching.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12088 on: June 09, 2014, 03:40:58 am »

Are hallucinations supposed to kill me?

I was hallucinating in the basement of a LMOE shelter, when suddenly a turret spawned and one-shot me.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2014, 05:28:14 am by Noel.se »

IronTomato

• Bay Watcher
  • VENGEANCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #12089 on: June 09, 2014, 06:11:26 am »

Probably even just having a chance of a scientist zed spawning in each one of the rooms would up the challenge quite a bit.  The manhack they spawn can chip away at a melee char before they can react, you can shoot them, but then you have ammo shortages for long expeditions.

As it is right now an interior of a lab is almost safer than an outdoor field.

Unrelated I like how somebody seems to be working a bit on NPCs now in the latest experimental, it looks like there's an actual option for ditching them now.  Once I saw that I decided to try to go a little farther with an NPC buddy than a meat shield. 

I found a stash of all kinds of katanas and scabbards in a mansion, and decided to do something I would have considered suicidal previously, I armed my meat shield buddy with a Nodachi and set their combat options to stay near me.  2 Melee skill on me, judging from the training screen of my NPC 0 combat skills on the NPC and we are now some kind of unholy zombie blender.  It's far harder to window or shrub kite with the npc but when we're both wailing on something it drops in record time.
I had a melee character who couldn't hit a manhack. I started to throw my weapon instead, and hit it almost every time.
Pages: 1 ... 804 805 [806] 807 808 ... 1086