Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 800 801 [802] 803 804 ... 1086

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!  (Read 1862910 times)

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!
« Reply #12015 on: June 01, 2014, 12:32:40 pm »

(while a melee character can use perception as a dump stat with almost no downside)

You hear a clicking noise. You look down.

BOOM
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #12016 on: June 01, 2014, 12:56:02 pm »

(while a melee character can use perception as a dump stat with almost no downside)

You hear a clicking noise. You look down.

BOOM

I said almost no downside. Landmines are the only thing you really have to worry about.

You need 10 perception to see a buried landmine (iirc), so that's still not really a downside to using it as a dump stat since you can't see it anyway with a normal score.
An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #12017 on: June 01, 2014, 01:05:12 pm »

Which is the reason it's not a dump stat. Atleast, not to prepared players.
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

Zireael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12018 on: June 01, 2014, 01:05:57 pm »

There's a trap detection rework in the works, which adds trapping and reduces the Per required.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #12019 on: June 01, 2014, 02:02:14 pm »

For the guns thing I believe one of the things Kevin (azmodean) is working on is a more realistic "wait to aim" system, which should also include a bit of a gun rebalance. He just hasn't had much time to work on it lately.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #12020 on: June 01, 2014, 03:54:19 pm »

It is linked to the "It takes 2 minutes to cross a street" issue. Giving guns are realistic range without fixing that would means enemies would never have the time to close in on you.
Anyway, here's a semi-logical improbably way to explain both effects.

The portals have continuously emitted various gasses, which has ramped up atmospheric pressure. While perfectly survivable, the increased friction makes it much harder to walk, and slows down bullets.

Also, the streets are very, very wide.

guessingo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12021 on: June 01, 2014, 05:10:50 pm »

Does DDA really need official release? The experimentals are constantly updated. There is alot of new content since the last official release

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12022 on: June 01, 2014, 05:20:37 pm »

Does DDA really need official release? The experimentals are constantly updated. There is alot of new content since the last official release
I'd say yes. If only because it lets the devs know, ok, we've done these sets of things, lets stop, bugfix, release a stable, and keep adding. Instead of just constantly adding new things and not focusing on bugs quite as much.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

UristMcDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12023 on: June 01, 2014, 05:22:38 pm »

I'm just twiddling my thumbs waiting for NPCs to be finished.

5 years later...

Akhier the Dragon hearted

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #12024 on: June 01, 2014, 05:23:38 pm »

It needs releases not so much because they necessarily do much for it but because there are people who only play stable. I can understand this, especially for those who want a persistent world.
Join us. The crazy is at a perfect temperature today.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #12025 on: June 01, 2014, 05:48:37 pm »

5 years later...
You could always learn to code yourself and help out. :P
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

UristMcDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12026 on: June 01, 2014, 05:53:44 pm »

5 years later...
You could always learn to code yourself and help out. :P

What language is this game in? IIRC, It's Python, right?

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12027 on: June 01, 2014, 06:04:09 pm »

Thinking about the earlier guns debate wouldn't it be possible to just make a mod that increases the range of guns? 

I just don't know if just increasing range is enough or if dispersion would need to be changed too, I know it has something to do with accuracy and it's the maximum degrees off target a gun can be when fired, but is that per tile of range that it can be off by or is that over the entire range of the gun?

If it's over the entire range then it probably doesn't need tweaked much at all, if it's per tile, increasing a guns range would just mean it can't hit anything at those ranges.(and may start pulling some of that fancy original x-com shooting at a 90 degree angle stuff)
« Last Edit: June 01, 2014, 06:05:51 pm by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

azmodean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12028 on: June 01, 2014, 08:47:00 pm »

I'd say yes. If only because it lets the devs know, ok, we've done these sets of things, lets stop, bugfix, release a stable, and keep adding. Instead of just constantly adding new things and not focusing on bugs quite as much.
That sums it up pretty well, also it gives us a synchronization point for translators, it's more or less impossible for the experimentals to be well translated.

5 years later...
That's interesting, considering the project is only about a year and a half old :/
If you're talking about original Cataclysm, well that's no longer developed...
What language is this game in? IIRC, It's Python, right?
C++, with game data defined in json, and some Lua bits around the edges for modding.
Thinking about the earlier guns debate wouldn't it be possible to just make a mod that increases the range of guns? 
Yep, it would be about 6 lines of Lua.
I just don't know if just increasing range is enough or if dispersion would need to be changed too, I know it has something to do with accuracy and it's the maximum degrees off target a gun can be when fired, but is that per tile of range that it can be off by or is that over the entire range of the gun?
Dispersion is in quarter-degrees, so you'd have to scale that down too.
If it's over the entire range then it probably doesn't need tweaked much at all, if it's per tile, increasing a guns range would just mean it can't hit anything at those ranges.(and may start pulling some of that fancy original x-com shooting at a 90 degree angle stuff)
I've shot monsters BEHIND me with a M249 on full auto with low skill, so yea.
I don't think Jesus died from thorns being pushed into his brain. RTFA

Zireael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12029 on: June 02, 2014, 01:59:43 am »

That sums it up pretty well, also it gives us a synchronization point for translators, it's more or less impossible for the experimentals to be well translated.

Good point.
Pages: 1 ... 800 801 [802] 803 804 ... 1086