Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 797 798 [799] 800 801 ... 1086

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!  (Read 1862726 times)

joemoben

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!
« Reply #11970 on: May 26, 2014, 09:42:57 pm »

How would one remove the hundreds of piles of bones that tend to appear around ones base? I'm burning all the meat, which is great and all but there's still a large amount of bone piles.
Something about this game makes me wonder why God lets it exist.
Say, if you give birth on a ranch and then murder your baby will a corpse drop be guaranteed?

Rez

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11971 on: May 26, 2014, 09:55:49 pm »

Baby, you got a stew going.

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11972 on: May 26, 2014, 09:59:19 pm »

Turn them into either Charcoal or Broth. Bones are probably more useful then the meat, though.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11973 on: May 26, 2014, 10:00:02 pm »

How would one remove the hundreds of piles of bones that tend to appear around ones base? I'm burning all the meat, which is great and all but there's still a large amount of bone piles.

Bones can be made into bone broth, charcoal, and plant food. Scoop them into a shopping cart and process them.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

Akhier the Dragon hearted

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #11974 on: May 27, 2014, 12:39:01 am »

I have to agree with the above sentiment. Bones are many times better then meat. They can not only be food and get turned into better food it can also be used for an important fuel source and something to help with farming which will let you vary your food.
Join us. The crazy is at a perfect temperature today.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #11975 on: May 27, 2014, 01:09:38 am »

Perhaps slightly spammish, but, 6 fabrication irl, you say.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
And slightly even more off topic, but wow. That is seriously an ingenious way of making an automatic firearm. I mean yes, the principle has been around for a while - the earliest mitrailleuse (Firefox's spellchecker suggests "semitrailer") and the modern powered autocannons do this sort of thing, but using a cordless drill to drive a handheld belt-fed machinegun is quite the feat of creativity.

One more reason to include the cordless drills in the game. ^_^
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

azmodean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11976 on: May 27, 2014, 02:13:27 am »

Hah, someone posted this on the dda forums too.  I could definitely see cobbling together something like this at the upper end of player gunsmithing ability, or possibly something a bit more effective (the claimed rate of fire is 420 rounds/minute, with .22LR that's not actually going to be all that effective)
I don't think Jesus died from thorns being pushed into his brain. RTFA

n9103

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam
« Reply #11977 on: May 27, 2014, 02:52:56 am »

There's no such thing as an effective bullet hose, especially in cases where the enemy has no fear.
Sustaining a RPM above 60 is all but guaranteeing that few shots actually hit their intended target at any significant distance.
One case where a bullet hose isn't wholly ineffective against those immune to the fear of bullet hell: A hardened emplacement, a la pillboxes of WW2, opening up on a crowd.
If the enemy is close enough that the horrid accuracy still allows you to hit your target, they're much too close for you to have a hope of transitioning between targets fast enough not to be overrun.

That aside, there's plenty to be said for using a select-fire weapon to put a couple rounds in a small radius at effective distances. It still requires a couple seconds to re-sight on your target.

Generally, RPM is measured in theoretical, or cyclic rates, i.e. absolute maximum.
Sustained fire rates, so as to not destroy the weapon are typically 10% of that, with burst being about 5%, and aimed fire being less than 2%. (In the context of any non-bolt/pump action weapon.)

/Military Consultation

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #11978 on: May 27, 2014, 07:01:32 am »

Hah, someone posted this on the dda forums too.  I could definitely see cobbling together something like this at the upper end of player gunsmithing ability, or possibly something a bit more effective (the claimed rate of fire is 420 rounds/minute, with .22LR that's not actually going to be all that effective)
I'm not seeing anything in the design that would not allow upgrading it to any non-caseless ammunition. If the cordless drill is one of the "cordless powered screwdriver" types, you will also have not only variable rate of fire, but the ability to use heavier mechanisms with the higher torque setting as well.

Like I said - ingenious DIY design. With a belt feed and some clockwork you can make it fire pretty much anything. The only problem would be that it lacks "single fire" - timing the first shot will be tricky because it relies on the mechanism's current position when you pull the trigger.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Morrigi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11979 on: May 27, 2014, 01:16:26 pm »

And 10 fabrication IRL:
Yes, that's an AK made from a shovel.
Cthulhu 2016! No lives matter! No more years! Awaken that which slumbers in the deep!

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11980 on: May 27, 2014, 01:27:44 pm »

And 10 fabrication IRL:
Yes, that's an AK made from a shovel.

No, that's a shoulder stock made from a shovel.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #11981 on: May 27, 2014, 01:29:13 pm »

I saw the whole post by the guy who made it once, the receiver is a shovel, but he also made the boxy part in the middle out of the metal part of the shovel. Of course, the mechanisms, barrels, scope and co weren't made from a shovel.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11982 on: May 27, 2014, 07:44:00 pm »

I like the survivors notes in the more recent experimentals. Very thematic.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

azmodean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11983 on: May 27, 2014, 11:01:05 pm »

There's no such thing as an effective bullet hose, especially in cases where the enemy has no fear.
Sustaining a RPM above 60 is all but guaranteeing that few shots actually hit their intended target at any significant distance.
Hence .22LR, meaning pretty negligible recoil, right?

I'm not seeing anything in the design that would not allow upgrading it to any non-caseless ammunition. If the cordless drill is one of the "cordless powered screwdriver" types, you will also have not only variable rate of fire, but the ability to use heavier mechanisms with the higher torque setting as well.
The main thing I'd be concerned about would be the breech and firing mechanism being able to handle the rate of fire of a higher calibre.
I don't think Jesus died from thorns being pushed into his brain. RTFA

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #11984 on: May 27, 2014, 11:29:16 pm »

Can we use items in a shopping cart for construction WITHOUT removing them beforehand? And if not, why not?
Pages: 1 ... 797 798 [799] 800 801 ... 1086