Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 776 777 [778] 779 780 ... 1086

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!  (Read 1861981 times)

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!
« Reply #11655 on: April 21, 2014, 04:16:33 pm »

I am just not a fan of the idea in general-- I like the idea of a relative safe place by clearing out the zombies without building palisade walls for defense.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11656 on: April 21, 2014, 04:37:28 pm »

You post wasn't edited, why did you post this?
The post doesn't display that it was edited if it was within a certain time limit. Don't know exactly how long but it's no longer than 5 minutes.
Yep. I had a bunch of tabs open, and posted in the wrong one.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #11657 on: April 21, 2014, 06:15:41 pm »

I am just not a fan of the idea in general-- I like the idea of a relative safe place by clearing out the zombies without building palisade walls for defense.
Which is why they are a toggle able option, some people really love them, and other's don't, and their's no shame in either opinion.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

KA101

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11658 on: April 21, 2014, 08:09:00 pm »

Oh right. Turns out digging down messes up a lot of what was intended to be an obstacle, huh?

I think adding digging was... a bit premature, to be honest. Hopefully we'll be getting z-level support in soon, and multi-z-level-awareness will let us determine roof and floor strengths, so trying to dig into a temple will give you something like "Your shovel hits stone - you can't dig any deeper here".

On the other hand, I'm really looking forward to explosive blowing holes between z-levels, because there is no obstacle that enough explosives shouldn't be able to trivialize. :)

(You could already get into temples before with a jackhammer or other wallmelet if you got lucky, which was always fun)

And that's why you need a J-Hammer to dig downstairs below z-1.  Still gotta go through most of the temple, and I'd typically just J-Hammer 'em anyway (seriously, who actually runs the fire halls or tries to solve the shifting-wall maze?  I wouldn't!)

FWIW you use a pickaxe or J-Hammer anyway to dig, so the shove hitting stone wouldn't cut it.  I'd originally wanted to rig the Temple walls as loadbearing to discourage digging into 'em, but then I dig through them to bypass Temple obstacles too.  So yeah.  You wanna sink a mine shaft for days on end, I won't tell you "no".  (Especially as vertical digging requires construction 5-6 or so.  You do all the prep work, I think it kinda evens out.)

DreamThorn

• Bay Watcher
  • Seer of Void
    • View Profile
    • My game dev hobby blog (updates almost never)
« Reply #11659 on: April 22, 2014, 03:29:41 am »

Yesterday I discovered the terror that is ZOMBIE HORDE!  I was extremely lucky to have survived.

I was casually crafting plant food in my shelter with all the curtains drawn.  When I went outside to feed the plants I spotted some zombies.  'What are zombies doing out here?' was my first thought.  Then I checked the map and saw a zombie horde in the distance on the opposite side of my shelter, so I reasoned that they were heading my way.  I decided to leave the shelter for a while and ran throught the shelter to my car, and was amazed to see at least a hundred zombies on that side of the building.  I got in and started accelerating before even closing the door and got away with only a few dents.

If my timing was at all different I wouldn't have seen them until they surrounded me and started smashing in the windows.
Another piece of luck was that I hadn't installed new headlights on my car yet, so I didn't end up breaking them again.
The strategy of keeping all my most essential tools, non-perishable food and some clean water in the car definitely paid off.
This is what happens when we randomly murder people.

You get attacked by a Yandere triangle monster.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11660 on: April 22, 2014, 10:53:33 am »

Are hordes only in the experimental builds, right now?

etgfrog

• Bay Watcher
  • delete & NULL;
    • View Profile
« Reply #11661 on: April 22, 2014, 12:36:04 pm »

Are hordes only in the experimental builds, right now?
yes, but most of them I've tried has been stable for now, so pull up the latest experimental and give it a try, if you see crashes then go back and grab an older one.
"How dare you get angry after being scammed."

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11662 on: April 22, 2014, 03:14:02 pm »

Question: I see a lot of recipes that require tools with brewing quality. What tools have brewing quality, and how do I find them?
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

etgfrog

• Bay Watcher
  • delete & NULL;
    • View Profile
« Reply #11663 on: April 22, 2014, 03:18:41 pm »

did you try to get a pot, pan or tea kettle?
"How dare you get angry after being scammed."

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11664 on: April 22, 2014, 04:21:04 pm »

None of them have brewing quality. I assume I need to find the recipe for a still.

Edit: while we're on the subject of drugs and alcohol, how do you roll a joint in game. I know the game will do so automatically when you use cannabis from the inventory menu, but the prerolled ones I've found in the basement farms are lighter and take up less space.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2014, 04:25:50 pm by Grendus »
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #11665 on: April 23, 2014, 12:48:01 am »

Using cannabis and rolling paper?

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

DreamThorn

• Bay Watcher
  • Seer of Void
    • View Profile
« Reply #11666 on: April 23, 2014, 01:24:35 am »

Question: I see a lot of recipes that require tools with brewing quality. What tools have brewing quality, and how do I find them?

There is a fermenting vat in the construction menu.  Maybe try that.  It needs some 2x4s, nails, and maybe a faucet.  Can't remember how much skill.

Can one make thread from hemp/cannabis?  I haven't tried yet.  Maybe there's some other plant that I need.

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #11667 on: April 23, 2014, 01:54:44 am »

Why do you need a special vat for fermenting? any old jug or bucket or really, anything with either a lid or small mouth you can cover with cloth will work.
An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

Mookzen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11668 on: April 23, 2014, 02:09:06 am »

Really for fermenting, get any container with a neck or semi-small opening, get a condom, poke the top of the condom/baloon-or-what-have-you with a needle or something, put said poked condom/baloon-or-what-have-you on the opening of said container and you get a fermentation system with a working airlock.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2014, 02:11:15 am by Mookzen »

DreamThorn

• Bay Watcher
  • Seer of Void
    • View Profile
« Reply #11669 on: April 23, 2014, 02:27:59 am »

That's quite an ingenious design.  Maybe we should put it in C:DDA; except that it doesn't have balloons or condoms yet.

Pages: 1 ... 776 777 [778] 779 780 ... 1086