Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 770 771 [772] 773 774 ... 1086

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!  (Read 1862295 times)

Cheedows

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a dwarf, right?
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!
« Reply #11565 on: April 17, 2014, 03:44:02 pm »

I am not certain about this, but I believe that they only start to produce smoke when they see you.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11566 on: April 17, 2014, 03:50:16 pm »

I'm pretty sure I've detected smoke from around corners beyond my line of sight, or on the edge of my vision where the Z's could not reasonably detect me.

Also, I can often walk right by a smoke cloud without it moving, so I'm pretty sure I was undetected and they cant see through their own cloud - which was clearly generated without me being detected. 

If I then make a noise by fighting or smashing something nearby, the smoker will start to move towards the noise.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #11567 on: April 17, 2014, 03:52:06 pm »

I'm pretty sure I've detected smoke from around corners beyond my line of sight, or on the edge of my vision where the Z's could not reasonably detect me.

Also, I can often walk right by a smoke cloud without it moving, so I'm pretty sure I was undetected and they cant see through their own cloud - which was clearly generated without me being detected. 

If I then make a noise by fighting or smashing something nearby, the smoker will start to move towards the noise.

I can confirm this, as the cloud kept still for some time and later moved towards me as I attempted to bash down a door.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #11568 on: April 17, 2014, 04:31:45 pm »

So, I tried the Bow Hunter. The bow had really sucky damage and my arrows kept breaking. Eventually I broke into a gun store and found a machine gun, so I got really bored and quit.

All in all, I think I'm going to stick with Survivalists. Named Les Stroud.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Mr. Strange

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11569 on: April 17, 2014, 04:38:18 pm »

I just tried this game for the first time and died almost right away, ran into a zed that waited me around the corner. My fat chef couldn't outrun it...
Seems interesting so far. I've tried to make stereotypical survivalist with related skills (guns and mechanics) and that seems to live little longer, are there any other useful builds for newbs?
Then you get cities like Paris where you should basically just kill yourself already.

You won’t have to think anymore: it’ll be just like having fun!

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #11570 on: April 17, 2014, 04:49:24 pm »

I just tried this game for the first time and died almost right away, ran into a zed that waited me around the corner. My fat chef couldn't outrun it...
Seems interesting so far. I've tried to make stereotypical survivalist with related skills (guns and mechanics) and that seems to live little longer, are there any other useful builds for newbs?

Krav Maga + high Melee and Unarmed. You can just tear through a lot of zombies without having to worry about weapons or ammo.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11571 on: April 17, 2014, 04:55:47 pm »

Krav Magna eh?  I always seem to get the biggest bang out of Dragon Style Kung Fu.

Also, bionic soldiers are pretty much the cheese.

Mr. Strange

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11572 on: April 17, 2014, 05:15:51 pm »

Krav Maga + high Melee and Unarmed. You can just tear through a lot of zombies without having to worry about weapons or ammo.
I just got uncontrollable urge to do "nude ninja" run with the shower survivor start and nothing but martial-arts skills. I don't think that's survivable, but it should be entertaining.

Next serious one will have something to do with bionics.
Then you get cities like Paris where you should basically just kill yourself already.

You won’t have to think anymore: it’ll be just like having fun!

KA101

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11573 on: April 17, 2014, 05:21:26 pm »

Krav Magna eh?  I always seem to get the biggest bang out of Dragon Style Kung Fu.

Also, bionic soldiers are pretty much the cheese.

Don't worry, there are zombie bionic soldiers too.  ;-)

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #11574 on: April 17, 2014, 05:47:27 pm »

Blackbelt with 14 strength and Muey Thai is what I was clearing a town with on static after a few days. Just remember to wear as many fitting clothes as you can and drop all your backpacks when you fight so you can hit stuff because it applies a stun effect on them.
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

gimlet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11575 on: April 17, 2014, 06:11:21 pm »

I do pretty well taking max disadvantages (mainly lots of allergies, never meat, fruit or vegetable though) and putting all points into stats, usually something like 14/12/14/10 - leaves a few points for Robust Genetics (a late game advantage.  If you're dying early you'd be WAY better served by Quick instead).  Night Vision is juuust about worth the point to save early game tedium/risk at night.  Fast Learner is pretty good too - level up those combat skills notably faster.  But is it worth *three* points of stats?  Hmmmm.

A decent starting profession if you don't want the *slight* added challenge of Failed Cyborg or the hellish 1st days of the Tweaker is Hitchhiker.  The housecoat has a little storage and a little protection, just enough to absorb some damage in combat and be able to carry a little loot.   Lost Submissive has some nicely protective leather stuff but I think a bit more encumbrance and a bit less storage.

Go outside, get a rock, wield it, smash a locker, wield the pipe = I could immediately kill the 2 Tough Zombies + a few regulars in the shelter basement (fortunately 1 Tough Zombie at a time).  Pick up a couple rocks, throw them at any enemy not next to you to whittle em down a little before they come into melee range.  If you have inventory space to burn, pointy sticks are even better.

Next priority is to craft a stone knife - if you REALLY want it fast, smash one of the shelter windows, disassemble the long string.  Smash a bench, make the knife.  Now butcher anything you kill, eventually you'll get a bone and skill up survival to be able to make a bone needle.  Now save clothing/use one of the sheets from the broken window to cut up for rags and leather scraps, make the best non-encumbering clothing/armor you can and reinforce everything = BIG boost in survivability - but watch encumbrance until your combat skills are high enough to compensate.  If you're gonna go raid buildings, make a crowbar out of the pipe - it's a pretty big step down because it can't block, but it's a decent compromise with the shortage of inventory space.  (A)pply it to pry open locked doors, it's a lot quieter than smashing them down (less noise attracts less zombies).

Don't hesitate to retreat back to the shelter when you're starting to get pain or damage or your armor is torn up.  Doing the 1st few loot runs at night will help keep you from being swarmed, if you're careful and especially if you took Night Vision.  Make a bow or ranged weapon, whittle down enemies from even longer ranges before you have to switch to melee.   Sleep on a pile of clothing in the basement to heal up.  Gather fruit from the woods, it will keep you from starving if raiding town is too dangerous, and you can make fruit juice to quench thirst.  Gather rocks for a fireplace and stone pot, now you can cook meat and boil water to purify it.

No skills/no equipment is a pretty slow start because you have to learn everything from scratch and be prepared to retreat a lot, but imo gear is so plentiful and especially the 1st points of most skills come so quickly that it just offends the min-maxer in me to pay precious build points for them...
« Last Edit: April 17, 2014, 06:13:02 pm by gimlet »

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #11576 on: April 17, 2014, 06:20:06 pm »

I prefer Dragon Kung Fu. If you can get a roll of knocking them back, you can pretty much kill anything.

So, my Survivalist, Les Stroud, just cleared an entire small town and now lives in an apartment building. The place has a Military Surplus Store, too. The Meals Rejected by the Enemy in there oughta last a while.

There's also a sole subway station. I tried to go down and see where it leads but it just kept going. At some point I'll just go down there with a bunch of bike parts and build a bike, then just ride south.

That thing better not hit the river.

I got to the town while searching for a hacksaw-- I'd started making a drag-o-vehicle, planning to build a trunk on it with duct tape, but in a bout of idiocy, I built the frame with steel instead of wood. I decided to search for a hack/circular saw to remove the steel frame and do it the right way, but there wasn't a hacksaw within TEN THOUSAND FREAKING MILES of where I was, because as usual if I need it it isn't there. I found the town, and then later found a shopping cart in a parking lot and decided I was set... for now.

What really sucks is I found pretty much EVERY FREAKING THING except for a hacksaw-- random guns and matching ammo, tactical dump/drop leg pouches, full army gear, enough random zombies in cabins and farms to reinforce all my gear and even make some important things (like a leather backpack), and several books full of handy information. I even found a tent, which came in handy when some cougars got in a fight over who got to eat me.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Cheedows

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a dwarf, right?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11577 on: April 17, 2014, 06:25:39 pm »

Well, one of the cheapest and easiest early game build is the baseball player profession. Nail bats are one of the best early game melee weapons, can block, and fairly quick. Basically quarterstaffs with more cutting and no skill needed to make.

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11578 on: April 17, 2014, 08:33:24 pm »

I've always had luck with Taikwondo. Less damage than Krav Maga, but you get arm and leg blocks with bonus absorption, it's an extremely durable martial art. Though now with the weapon training skills I usually take Eskrima or Silat.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

DeKaFu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11579 on: April 17, 2014, 10:58:17 pm »

I tend to have the same problem with this game that I have with Dwarf Fortress. I play so carefully and defensively that losing is almost impossible, and I eventually burn out on the game after it turns into an OCD "sorting things into piles" simulator.

My current character in the stable release (who, to be fair, I'm not bored of yet) is on his 11th day of Autumn. Has a nice house at the edge of a town which I've looted about 70% of the buildings in, with all the tools he could ever want and more nonperishable food and drink than he could consume in a season despite his fast metabolism. Thanks to Robust Genetics and chugging Tainted Tornado like it's going out of style, he's got a kickass bunch of random mutations in his traits list (Most usefully, Infrared/Full night vision, but also Feathers, Cat ears, Quick pain recovery, Web walker and Claws, adding to Parkour expert, Light step and Inconspicuous from chargen). He's got a like-new motorcycle parked out front. He routinely kills Zombears unarmed and emerges unscathed. He's doing really well is what I'm saying.

I don't like intentionally playing poorly to make things more interesting, so most of my characters end up like this. Eventually I run out of things to do within walking distance of my base, and by that point relocating seems like more trouble than it's worth so I abandon the character.

I'm sorta considering a self-imposed challenge to snap myself out of it on my next character, maybe in addition to some nastier traits. Perhaps a rule that I have to sleep in a different building every night, forcing me to live out of my backpack so I can't fall back into old habits?
Pages: 1 ... 770 771 [772] 773 774 ... 1086