Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 769 770 [771] 772 773 ... 1086

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!  (Read 1862371 times)

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!
« Reply #11550 on: April 17, 2014, 11:37:44 am »

Huh, I've never seen any adverse effects from the leaky bionic. Maybe it's less visible on high-strength characters. In any case, it must be a minuscle effect.
All leaky bionic currently does is affect health, which ATM is a relatively small effect. Once my health rework on github is finished it should have a little bit more of a drawback.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2014, 12:56:48 pm by i2amroy »
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11551 on: April 17, 2014, 11:54:38 am »

Acid Rain is insanely deadly currently.  Well, insanely weakening to the point that all kinds of formerly trivial enemies can kill you, and you're now far too slow to escape.  Even raincoat + wielded umbrella don't protect against it enough to spend any time at all outside when it's happening.   The ONLY counter I've found is to make and start carrying a Shelter Kit (or tent if you're lucky enough to find one) as soon as you've got any kind of vehicle to keep it in (it's just too big to carry in inventory, maaaaybe in late game with 150+ inventory space) and start watching the weather/pain display rather carefully anytime there's any kind of green rain - I've frequently zoomed to 50+ pain  before I even noticed it was happening :p

There is discussion about making Acid Rain at least a bit less intense, but afaik nothing has actually happened yet...

Strong painkillers and strong stimulants can get you through it (a high dose of codeine or poppy painkillers/heroine, plus meth or ludicrous amounts of caffeine). I usually prefer to just sleep it off though, a good nights sleep can drop 100 pain to 16, which still slows you down but can be managed with basic aspirin+caffeinated chewing gum.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #11552 on: April 17, 2014, 12:21:56 pm »

So, what would you say is the best "cheap" profession? "Cheap" here means three points or less. If I want to play Cata like DF on a demigod, I pick Survivalist; if I want a challenge, I pick Hobo or Hitchhiker; if I want something moderately hard, I pick something like H4x0r or Student, usually naming those after me.

Also, I'm going to do some quick research on "sporty" professions. Golfer starts with a decent weapon; Baseball Player starts with a weapon that can become more deadly within minutes; Football Player starts off with some armor.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

mosshadow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11553 on: April 17, 2014, 12:39:33 pm »

Ive tried survivalist, but Im not sure what to do with what he starts with. I kinda would have expected him to have some food at the start.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #11554 on: April 17, 2014, 01:00:49 pm »

I like the bow hunter proffession. Not the most powerful, but I like bows.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11555 on: April 17, 2014, 01:20:38 pm »

You should get bows regardless though.

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11556 on: April 17, 2014, 02:21:32 pm »

Bow Hunter gets you a combat knife and compound bow for 2 points. Both will carry you into endgame, though it would be a good idea to build some mechanics skill early on to repair them.

Security guard isn't half bad. The  Cx4 Storm is a good gun and 9mm ammo isn't hard to come by. The expandable baton is a fairly good weapon, combine with Silat and you're pretty solid.

Gangster looks like it'd be an easy start. You get a handgun and a switchblade, plus a good mix of combat skills.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #11557 on: April 17, 2014, 02:40:30 pm »

I still like the Cyclist, ever since I suggested it I've been using 'im. The size of the horde does not matter if it can't catch up to you.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11558 on: April 17, 2014, 02:50:30 pm »

Sigh, some day I'll learn not to try to melee turrets. RIP.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #11559 on: April 17, 2014, 02:59:20 pm »

I decided to start as a Razor Boy. Can't say I regret it, seeing as I started in a shelter that had 3 zombies in its basement and now I've nearly cleared a town at this point with nothing but a crowbar. First time I manage that too. Found an APC with no wheels or fuel, but in top shape aside from that. I guess I'll use it as a base and eventually repair it.

Are there any creatures that are permanently surrounded by a cloud of smoke? There is a very slow moving smoke cloud nearby and I sometimes see a "?" indicating a creature inside it.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2014, 03:09:21 pm by Deathsword »
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #11560 on: April 17, 2014, 03:04:52 pm »

Yep. Smoker zeds.

Better get an APC mask, Deathsword. The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Cataclysm mentions that you'll asphyxiate if you sleep in a subway with fires at either end.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11561 on: April 17, 2014, 03:16:08 pm »

Well, the smoker is no longer a problem. It tried to break into my vehicle as I slept, which allowed me to kill it.
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11562 on: April 17, 2014, 03:25:40 pm »

Wow, there are APCs?  I never knew! 

I pushed a wreck into a garage and have been stripping out seats and up-armoring it a bit, but if I knew there were APCs!

What do I have to do, tour military bases looking for them parked nearby?

Also, where to get power armor?  Same?  Military bases?  I read here that they are rarely at surplus stores.  Canvased three and found a PA Cargo frame, but no actual armor.  The search goes on.

Cheedows

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a dwarf, right?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11563 on: April 17, 2014, 03:30:40 pm »

Are there any creatures that are permanently surrounded by a cloud of smoke? There is a very slow moving smoke cloud nearby and I sometimes see a "?" indicating a creature inside it.

You'll want to be careful with smoker zeds, smoke gives you lung damage to the torso and the coughing afterwards can kill you very easily, or at least cripple you for other zombies.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11564 on: April 17, 2014, 03:31:42 pm »

Wow, there are APCs?  I never knew! 

I pushed a wreck into a garage and have been stripping out seats and up-armoring it a bit, but if I knew there were APCs!

What do I have to do, tour military bases looking for them parked nearby?

Also, where to get power armor?  Same?  Military bases?  I read here that they are rarely at surplus stores.  Canvased three and found a PA Cargo frame, but no actual armor.  The search goes on.
It was just parked near the edge of town, actually. All I need now is mechanical skill books to get it rolling. I'm curently going into each building, grabbing anything remotely instresting and taking it back to the vehicle. There is a surplus store on the other side of the town, I guess I'll post if I get anything notable from it.

You'll want to be careful with smoker zeds, smoke gives you lung damage to the torso and the coughing afterwards can kill you very easily, or at least cripple you for other zombies.
I was aware of the smoke damage, hence me asking instead of just charging in. The only reason I managed to take it down was because it was trying to bash down a door, allowing me to just open it and whack the zed to death.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2014, 03:33:16 pm by Deathsword »
Pages: 1 ... 769 770 [771] 772 773 ... 1086