Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 768 769 [770] 771 772 ... 1086

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!  (Read 1862389 times)

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!
« Reply #11535 on: April 17, 2014, 04:24:31 am »

Well let's see. Deformity aside, you get extra noise, extra hand encumbrance, the leaky bionic causes you to get sick (as in, poisoned: it reduces your health - not HP -  roughly once in 500 turns), and the visual disruptor we already covered. The advantages are solely self-supporting - metabolics and power storage only allow you to use the bionics at all, the scent vision is hardly frequently useful, and for all the combat usefulness of claws you can get much the same with a good sword, and it won't cost you energy to activate and deactivate every time you want your hands free. The only really good advantage is the digestion bionic, and I am not entirely sure the problems for long-term and even short-term survival presented by all the faulty hardware in your body are outweighed by it.
Huh, I've never seen any adverse effects from the leaky bionic. Maybe it's less visible on high-strength characters. In any case, it must be a minuscle effect.

The thing with the claws is, you have them from the get-go, while by the time you can find a sword, you will have needed other ways of dealing with zombies.
Additionally, unarmed attacks are super fast and easy to empower with martial arts from the dojos.
The claws take me from the day one town clearing to amigara horrors slaughtering. The only reasons not to use them is when fighting shockers and turrets/robots, so the reloading handicap hardly matters.

I mean, I don't know how it's even contentious. Pick the profession and go fight some zombies. It's so easy it feels exploity. I don't ever die with it, unless I'm terribly unlucky or stupid(like jumping into a rift, or shooting myself with my car's fusion gun).

Rakust

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #11536 on: April 17, 2014, 04:54:44 am »

How long does fire last? I tried to get through the reinforced glass in a military bunker by shooting it with a fusion gun and now it's just one big burning hole in the ground. I'd like to know if there's any chance of ever going in there again without having to go out and get a thermal dissipation CBM.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #11537 on: April 17, 2014, 04:57:40 am »

If it's downstairs, it'll go on forever: time freeze when you're not around.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11538 on: April 17, 2014, 08:15:41 am »

Managed to drive my hobo rickshaw until the battery died (damned rain). Luckily the original specs called for a pedal powered vehicle, so a little work with a welder and... night falls, so I can't see anything. /sigh.

Edit: aaaaaaaand acid rain. I'm in pain.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2014, 10:00:16 am by Grendus »
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

gimlet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11539 on: April 17, 2014, 10:28:18 am »

Acid Rain is insanely deadly currently.  Well, insanely weakening to the point that all kinds of formerly trivial enemies can kill you, and you're now far too slow to escape.  Even raincoat + wielded umbrella don't protect against it enough to spend any time at all outside when it's happening.   The ONLY counter I've found is to make and start carrying a Shelter Kit (or tent if you're lucky enough to find one) as soon as you've got any kind of vehicle to keep it in (it's just too big to carry in inventory, maaaaybe in late game with 150+ inventory space) and start watching the weather/pain display rather carefully anytime there's any kind of green rain - I've frequently zoomed to 50+ pain  before I even noticed it was happening :p

There is discussion about making Acid Rain at least a bit less intense, but afaik nothing has actually happened yet...

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #11540 on: April 17, 2014, 10:33:17 am »

Acid Rain is insanely deadly currently.  Well, insanely weakening to the point that all kinds of formerly trivial enemies can kill you, and you're now far too slow to escape.  Even raincoat + wielded umbrella don't protect against it enough to spend any time at all outside when it's happening.   The ONLY counter I've found is to make and start carrying a Shelter Kit (or tent if you're lucky enough to find one) as soon as you've got any kind of vehicle to keep it in (it's just too big to carry in inventory, maaaaybe in late game with 150+ inventory space) and start watching the weather/pain display rather carefully anytime there's any kind of green rain - I've frequently zoomed to 50+ pain  before I even noticed it was happening :p

There is discussion about making Acid Rain at least a bit less intense, but afaik nothing has actually happened yet...
Need weather. Actual, physical weather. So that you can see suspicious rain clouds ahead of time and either move or plan accordingly.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #11541 on: April 17, 2014, 10:38:08 am »

So what's your clothing look like? I'm tending toward military gear right now, but I wonder if some of the survivor suit would be better.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11542 on: April 17, 2014, 10:50:52 am »

I wanted to like the bionic class as well, but the side effects are a turnoff for me.
At least until there is a reliable way to remove broken bionics. I don't want to be stuck with the side effects forever.

Is there one?
I remember that some months ago the only one was to fail installing bionics and losing some as the result.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #11543 on: April 17, 2014, 11:02:13 am »

Need weather. Actual, physical weather. So that you can see suspicious rain clouds ahead of time and either move or plan accordingly.
On the one hand, unless the Wiki changed, and unless I'm reading these tables incorrectly, the game can only transition to Acid Rain from Acid Drizzle.  On the other hand, Acid Drizzle can only start from Clear, Cloudy, or Drizzle depending on season (all except Spring, which only permits Cloudy or Drizzle).  It would be nice to be able to have some predictive capability, though, especially since it can start from clear weather and transition right into a full storm in ten minutes.  Ah, the joys of sunshowers.  The sun sparkling, the pitter-patter of drops on the steel roof, the horrible screaming agony as your flesh is rended from your bones...just like home.

gimlet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11544 on: April 17, 2014, 11:04:25 am »

Removing bionics has been in the experimental builds for some time - I just did it with a Failed Cyborg last week, removed all 4 bad bionics with nothing worse than physical damage and pain.  I only had a few levels in electronics/first aid so the "% chance of failure" was about 50% each - I did it at full health just before I was going to sleep anyway, and easily slept off each failure.  I think all you need is a first aid kit and something sharp...

And yea, army gear is pretty good until you can make survivor gear.  I like the Light Survivor Suit, Survivor Backpack, and maybe the Survivor Chest Rig and Survivor Cargo Pants when I have excess kevlar to make the stuff.  I still usually wear 1 or 2 army pants/shirts under the survivor suit for cargo capacity, but I'm a major packrat - and by then my skills are high enough that 2 or even 3 points of torso encumbrance aren't even noticeable against low numbers of ordinary Zs or animals.

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11545 on: April 17, 2014, 11:12:14 am »

The only drawback to army gear is that its warm. I usually go with a runner pack, doubled up army pants/jackets, steeltoed boots, and a motorcycle helmet (best mouth protection I've seen in game, with no eye encumbrance). Seems to hold up well, except in summer when it gets too hot.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11546 on: April 17, 2014, 11:16:53 am »

That's nice, since I wanted to get back into DDA anyway and got tired of the tweaker start for maximum points.

Not really a fan of the character generation honestly, since it just brings forth my munchkin streak.
I believe the game would be much more fun with either an average joe, or a couple of predefined classes and then just making do with whatever you find.

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% less in-jokes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11547 on: April 17, 2014, 11:19:38 am »

What threshold should I work towards for mutations?

I fucked around in debug with post threshold for slime and it seems to be a bit eh. You become a amorphous thing with other things.

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11548 on: April 17, 2014, 11:20:49 am »

You can always generate a random character if you want.

I installed a lawnmower engine in my vehicle. It managed to make it a good... oh... 10 tiles before shredding itself. Guess 1 cylinder isn't going to cut it.

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11549 on: April 17, 2014, 11:22:43 am »

The random character generation is quite bad though.
It never takes more than the minimum amount of good and bad traits.
Pages: 1 ... 768 769 [770] 771 772 ... 1086