Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 767 768 [769] 770 771 ... 1086

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!  (Read 1862493 times)

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - Now you're thinking with Portals
« Reply #11520 on: April 16, 2014, 12:21:37 pm »

That's what I thought at first, but none of the corpses had my axe after I killed them.
What version are you playing in? IIRC that was a bug that was present in the stable but has since been fixed in the experimental version.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!
« Reply #11521 on: April 16, 2014, 04:31:33 pm »

On the topic of pointy-stepping-on traps:

Don't you mean nailboards are cheaper? Caltrops don't get the wire option until rather high (comparative) fabrication skill; until then it's forging.

On the topic of h4x0rz:
They also start off with a Game Boy, which is really handy for a good puzzle, or, if you're up for it, a massive morale boost by playing Robot Finds Kitten. (You get a 40 for "Found kitten <3".)
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #11522 on: April 16, 2014, 04:47:47 pm »

Is skill rust fixed? I must say I love the Rivtech short shotgun. It fits in a holster, and those 20mm explosive slugs are amazing. It's theperfect extra gun for when you need a bit extra UUMPH.

Also, is someone working on making knife usable for butchering/crafting while in a boot/sheath?

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11523 on: April 16, 2014, 05:25:32 pm »

On the topic of pointy-stepping-on traps:

Don't you mean nailboards are cheaper? Caltrops don't get the wire option until rather high (comparative) fabrication skill; until then it's forging.

On the topic of h4x0rz:
They also start off with a Game Boy, which is really handy for a good puzzle, or, if you're up for it, a massive morale boost by playing Robot Finds Kitten. (You get a 40 for "Found kitten <3".)
Caltrops from nails/wire require Fabricate 3 and Trapping 2. Fabricate is fairly easy to spam. Trapping, bit harder, but not too bad if you put a point in when you start. Also, commercial Cyborg is best starting job ever. Free permanent storage and integrated toolset.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11524 on: April 16, 2014, 05:53:09 pm »

Hm. That's how.

Commercial Cyborg? Ha! With a stereotyped Blackbelt named Bruce Lee the Entering Dragon, I cleared an entire town with my bare hands.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11525 on: April 16, 2014, 06:49:30 pm »

You should try bionic monster. It makes the game ridiculously easy, costs nothing, and the drawbacks are almost purely cosmetic.

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11526 on: April 16, 2014, 08:07:46 pm »

Is skill rust fixed? I must say I love the Rivtech short shotgun. It fits in a holster, and those 20mm explosive slugs are amazing. It's theperfect extra gun for when you need a bit extra UUMPH.

Also, is someone working on making knife usable for butchering/crafting while in a boot/sheath?

I love how it counts as a pistol. Very convenient to use pistols to raise the skill and then carry the short shotgun for putting down tanks/bears. Plus Rivtech shotguns are awesome anyways, I've seen upwards of 200/300 damage at point blank range with slugs. Brutal.

I managed to put together an electric car... just in time to get a week of rain. Just sitting there at 8% battery capacity.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #11527 on: April 16, 2014, 08:30:43 pm »

You should try bionic monster. It makes the game ridiculously easy, costs nothing, and the drawbacks are almost purely cosmetic.

???????
WHUT.

All that does is start you with a bunch of broken bionics.
Being constantly deafened because you're making so much noise is not a superpower, it is a liability.
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11528 on: April 16, 2014, 09:55:59 pm »

Yeah, bionic monster has about a million horrible side effects (noisemaker and leaky whatchamacallit) and the only upsides are expanded digestive system and bioclaws.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #11529 on: April 17, 2014, 12:38:29 am »

I managed to put together an electric car... just in time to get a week of rain. Just sitting there at 8% battery capacity.

Save and reload. Weather magically changes and/or gets stuck on things sometimes, it seems.
Yeah, sadly weather bugs usually don't start to reproduce themselves until quite a ways into the game, which makes it extraordinarily hard to debug/fix anything when you would need to play for several hours for every single test run.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

BlindKitty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11530 on: April 17, 2014, 01:04:13 am »

Can you try putting some kind of 'immortal' flag on player and let him just run in circles through the (real-life) night? That would be my first idea to test something like that.
My little roguelike craft-centered game thread. Check it out.

GENERATION 10: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

DreamThorn

• Bay Watcher
  • Seer of Void
    • View Profile
    • My game dev hobby blog (updates almost never)
« Reply #11531 on: April 17, 2014, 01:31:39 am »

That's what I thought at first, but none of the corpses had my axe after I killed them.
What version are you playing in? IIRC that was a bug that was present in the stable but has since been fixed in the experimental version.
It was the 0.A stable version. I suppose that's the one with the bug?

I must say I love the Rivtech short shotgun. It fits in a holster, and those 20mm explosive slugs are amazing. It's theperfect extra gun for when you need a bit extra UUMPH.
Yeah.  The Rivtech short shotgun rules.  I have two, just in case.  It saved my life against a zombie hulk and his pals.
This is what happens when we randomly murder people.

You get attacked by a Yandere triangle monster.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11532 on: April 17, 2014, 02:44:17 am »

???????
WHUT.

Being constantly deafened because you're making so much noise is not a superpower, it is a liability.
Try it. Bionic claws make clearing towns with unarmed combat a possibility by day one. You'll get bitten a few times at first, but once your melee and unarmed go up a few levels, and you find a dojo/boxing gym, you're set for life.

You're only deafened if you're wearing the noise-cancelling headgear that you start with, by the way.

Yeah, bionic monster has about a million horrible side effects (noisemaker and leaky whatchamacallit) and the only upsides are expanded digestive system and bioclaws.
Purely cosmetic, I'm telling you. You get pixelated vision, which can at worst make you miss a zombie for a turn. Noise maker, which means a bit of a hassle with changing headgear to get some sleep - until you find ear plugs. Leaky bionic doesn't seem to be doing anyting, and deformity hardly matters even with NPCs on.

Bioclaws, on the other hand, are almost as good as Bionic Assassin's monomolecular blade(even easier to use considering the activation cost).
« Last Edit: April 17, 2014, 02:56:34 am by Il Palazzo »

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #11533 on: April 17, 2014, 03:15:34 am »

???????
WHUT.

Try it. Bionic claws make clearing towns with unarmed combat a possibility by day one. You'll get bitten a few times at first, but once your melee and unarmed go up a few levels, and you find a dojo/boxing gym, you're set for life.

You're only deafened if you're wearing the noise-cancelling headgear that you start with, by the way.

Purely cosmetic, I'm telling you. You get pixelated vision, which can at worst make you miss a zombie for a turn. Noise maker, which means a bit of a hassle with changing headgear to get some sleep - until you find ear plugs. Leaky bionic doesn't seem to be doing anyting, and deformity hardly matters even with NPCs on.

Bioclaws, on the other hand, are almost as good as Bionic Assassin's monomolecular blade(even easier to use considering the activation cost).
Well let's see. Deformity aside, you get extra noise, extra hand encumbrance, the leaky bionic causes you to get sick (as in, poisoned: it reduces your health - not HP -  roughly once in 500 turns), and the visual disruptor we already covered. The advantages are solely self-supporting - metabolics and power storage only allow you to use the bionics at all, the scent vision is hardly frequently useful, and for all the combat usefulness of claws you can get much the same with a good sword, and it won't cost you energy to activate and deactivate every time you want your hands free. The only really good advantage is the digestion bionic, and I am not entirely sure the problems for long-term and even short-term survival presented by all the faulty hardware in your body are outweighed by it.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

gimlet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11534 on: April 17, 2014, 03:48:16 am »

I kinda like the Failed Cyborg - get a couple of extra build points, and the faulty bionics really didn't bother me much at all for the few days before I removed them.   I am playing with static zombies and no hordes though, otherwise yeah the noise bionic might be a little more annoying...
Pages: 1 ... 767 768 [769] 770 771 ... 1086