Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 760 761 [762] 763 764 ... 1086

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!  (Read 1862405 times)

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - Now you're thinking with Portals
« Reply #11415 on: April 10, 2014, 12:34:52 pm »

Now I'm curious, the nearby town in my game stopped spawning zombies and now is spawning nothing but slimes...was this because the slimes took over or the zombies all died out there?

The zombies all melted. You fight zombie-sludge now.
It crawls up your pant leg and dissolves your genitals.

Very painful.
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

gimlet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11416 on: April 10, 2014, 12:39:08 pm »

I can sort of see "complementary" - some styles give you bonuses when you moved, some when you stand still, but yeah it's too painful to switch back and forth between em constantly right now.  Some are primarily defensive, so I guess you could switch to that while using throwing weapons, some give a lot of stuns...

The buffs you get from the ones that have bonuses for dodging/moving/etc do persist for multiple rounds - you can see them on the "Effects" section of the @ display.

Also, some weapons can be used with any martial art - things like the brass/steel/nail knuckles and the punch dagger.

A few of the martial arts have a bigger list of weapons - fencing can use broadsword and rapier,  eskrima can use a bunch including baton, machete, hammer, pipe,wrench,etc  similar with pentjak silat...
« Last Edit: April 10, 2014, 12:40:47 pm by gimlet »

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11417 on: April 10, 2014, 12:57:55 pm »

Did this guys thing ever get merged into the main line?  It looks like he has martial arts with fully stackable effects that dont need to be wielded:

http://smf.cataclysmdda.com/index.php?topic=3089.0

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #11418 on: April 10, 2014, 01:27:32 pm »

Did this guys thing ever get merged into the main line?  It looks like he has martial arts with fully stackable effects that dont need to be wielded:

It was. That's how you can now have Fencing as a martial art style. It's just that most martial arts are unarmed-only, and it will remain so until someone, well, adds a non-unarmed style.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

etgfrog

• Bay Watcher
  • delete & NULL;
    • View Profile
« Reply #11419 on: April 10, 2014, 01:52:55 pm »

The zombies all melted. You fight zombie-sludge now.
It crawls up your pant leg and dissolves your genitals.

Very painful.

Well...I tried running through town with a sports car...it got stuck and now...
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

So...I finally got away after losing 2 pieces of torso gear...then I got a goo canister and a screwdriver...then the hilarity began...release friendly goo, refill canister, release more goo and eventually the friendly goo swarm cleaned out the town  :D
« Last Edit: April 10, 2014, 02:12:33 pm by etgfrog »
"How dare you get angry after being scammed."

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #11420 on: April 10, 2014, 02:30:57 pm »

So...I finally got away after losing 2 pieces of torso gear...then I got a goo canister and a screwdriver...then the hilarity began...release friendly goo, refill canister, release more goo and eventually the friendly goo swarm cleaned out the town  :D

DAMN IT etgfrog! WHY YOU PROMOTE SLIME RACE WAR?
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

etgfrog

• Bay Watcher
  • delete & NULL;
    • View Profile
« Reply #11421 on: April 10, 2014, 02:54:21 pm »

DAMN IT etgfrog! WHY YOU PROMOTE SLIME RACE WAR?
I'm not sure if its sarcasm...but if it isn't, what would you recommend I do to deal with 200+ slimes that were there? or just flee from them?
"How dare you get angry after being scammed."

KA101

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11422 on: April 10, 2014, 04:54:47 pm »

It was. That's how you can now have Fencing as a martial art style. It's just that most martial arts are unarmed-only, and it will remain so until someone, well, adds a non-unarmed style.

Eskrima and Pentjak Silat support a wide variety of hand weapons.  Fencing requires a decent sword but can be devastating.  I've considered giving Tai Chi a broadsword clone since the style apparently teaches how to use 'em.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11423 on: April 10, 2014, 05:06:00 pm »

Had an awesome start last night.  Began surrounded by several small towns, though I did not pick the "surrounded" starting option. 

Was a bit worried, but quickly found a shopping cart in a clothing store, and a pawn shop provided a bullet press and a kenetic puller.  I found a science team a military team within spitting distance, and tons of good gear. 

Mostly ran from and dodged zombies, making broad circles and coming back to my shopping cart until I was able to push it to a small military base which was near the starting shelter.

Then the game crashed when I attempted to apply an extra magazine to an assault rifle :(.  I did not have auto-save running, as I didnt have random NPCs on and thought it would be stable.  Live and learn.

azmodean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11424 on: April 10, 2014, 11:49:59 pm »

Say. Would it be possible to use the folding bike code to be able to activate duffel bags to make them a draggable object ala shopping cart? So you could activate a duffel bag, load it down with stuff, then drag it along and let go at the first sign of trouble, in addition to dropping all your junk carried in the two duffels on you? Also, that could possibly add in wearable wheeled backpacks, for when you want a bit of extra space on the return trip but don't want to drag something out behind you all the way.
That's a great idea.  As luck would have it, the foldable vehicle system was just expanded.
I don't think Jesus died from thorns being pushed into his brain. RTFA

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #11425 on: April 11, 2014, 02:46:07 pm »

Say. Would it be possible to use the folding bike code to be able to activate duffel bags to make them a draggable object ala shopping cart? So you could activate a duffel bag, load it down with stuff, then drag it along and let go at the first sign of trouble, in addition to dropping all your junk carried in the two duffels on you? Also, that could possibly add in wearable wheeled backpacks, for when you want a bit of extra space on the return trip but don't want to drag something out behind you all the way.
That's a great idea.  As luck would have it, the foldable vehicle system was just expanded.
That idea looks great.

How long is expected before the next stable release?
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #11426 on: April 11, 2014, 03:37:44 pm »

We've started to think about making one, so it could be anywhere from a few weeks from now to a month or two (hopefully on the short end of that bracket). Our eventual goal is to release a new stable version once a month, but we're still a ways off from pulling that off.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #11427 on: April 11, 2014, 04:18:28 pm »

Well, that schedule beats DF's release schedule by a long shot, so that's good.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

n9103

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam
« Reply #11428 on: April 11, 2014, 06:21:03 pm »

Well, there's also the Experimental Builds that are continuously released.

gimlet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11429 on: April 11, 2014, 06:27:58 pm »

I've been playing the experimental builds for about a month and they've been pretty crash-free, apart from one brief period where there was a bug with line of sight code or some such.  Still, I recommend turning on the auto-save, turning on the prompt to save in the sleep dialogue, and binding a key to the quick save and saving after doing a bunch of tedious stuff or before doing something "unusual"...
Pages: 1 ... 760 761 [762] 763 764 ... 1086