Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 748 749 [750] 751 752 ... 1086

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!  (Read 1861924 times)

WhitiusOpus

• Bay Watcher
  • Pro-radiation Lobbyist
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - Version 0.A "Kaufman" released!
« Reply #11235 on: March 27, 2014, 09:16:04 pm »

Has anyone else regularly checked the "factions" page? Some of that stuff is hilarious in a DF sort of way.

Oh shit, those things are hilarious. I can't wait until those are legitly implemented, and with the features that they proclaim. Can you imagine stumbling into a survivor camp? Forges running, producing ammo and miscellaneous items, shops and farms producing goods. Armed soldiers at the gates. That'd be awesome.
Quote from: The Froggy Ninja
Young Masches: Fetch yonder blade!
Masches grabs his "sword." Navi gasps. Her aura flushes a pinkish hue and she flies out the window.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11236 on: March 27, 2014, 09:37:17 pm »

Has anyone else regularly checked the "factions" page? Some of that stuff is hilarious in a DF sort of way.

Oh shit, those things are hilarious. I can't wait until those are legitly implemented, and with the features that they proclaim. Can you imagine stumbling into a survivor camp? Forges running, producing ammo and miscellaneous items, shops and farms producing goods. Armed soldiers at the gates. That'd be awesome.

Or in current NPC implementation shopkeepers wandering off from their shops as soon as they get loaded and panicking and fleeing from you after you make a purchase, and armed guards somewhere in the forest way off in some random direction endlessly chasing a squirrel leaving a trail of ammo casings. :P
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #11237 on: March 27, 2014, 10:30:47 pm »

I....I think I'm actually having a successful game. Instead of dying in the first day as I normally do, the first house I looted must have belonged to a gun nut, because the basement was loaded with ammo, a H&K G36, a Tec-9, and scopes galore. Also, a wakizaishi, which has come in way handier than I expected.

I've slaughtered about 25 zombies in the northwest part of town and butchered all the corpses, raided an electronics store (with the help of my trusty military rucksack), went back and dumped off all the electronics gear in a safehouse, then raided a grocery store.

I just found a working shopping cart (3 actually), which is leading to the surreal scenario of pushing my cart around looting all the shredded clothes off all my zombie kills and stuffing them into the cart to be taken back to get cut up for rags. It's like Thrift Shop of the Dead.  ???

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11238 on: March 27, 2014, 10:53:02 pm »

It's like Thrift Shop of the Dead.  ???

I wear your dead dad's clothes

I made them better though

Vgray

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11239 on: March 27, 2014, 11:11:18 pm »

Yeesh. I walk barely five steps from the evac shelter and a soldier zombie mauls my torso, very nearly killing me. On the plus side, I now have a bullet resistant vest, knee pads, a tactical helmet, and a utility vest from various soldier corpses. Plus a lab coat and a nearly useless tazer from some scientist corpses a little further west. And some MREs I think?

So, how lucky does this make me? I started as a bow hunter by the way.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11240 on: March 27, 2014, 11:42:06 pm »

A MBR even empty seems to make great anti zombie body armor, same with the helmet. Knee pads are better than nothing, tazers make an ok panic button as long as you have it loaded, since it's a free stun against most things but good melee still mostly makes it obsolete, and a single MRE can probably feed you for about half a day.

I would call that a reasonably good start, yes.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.

Vgray

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11241 on: March 27, 2014, 11:44:25 pm »

Cool. Now I just need to find a bunch of first aid kits...

And the MBR has steel plates.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11242 on: March 27, 2014, 11:50:58 pm »

I usually disassemble it to make it empty, since I prefer melee and it's very encumbering with just about anything in it.  With the added defense it should be more than adequate for most of your dude's life if you are planning to stay at range and don't need to worry about the added encumbrance though.

Blaze

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chaos that Crawls up on you with a Smile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11243 on: March 27, 2014, 11:53:40 pm »

You may want to disassemble it then, an empty MBR vest provides a decent level of protection for very little encumbrance. With a soldering iron and some spare kevlar you can make it even stronger and reduce it to 0 encumbrance.

Steel plates greatly increases the amount of protection it gives, but gives you 4 torso encumbrance. Granted you're a bow fighter so it doesn't affect you as it would a melee character.

Just make sure it's undamaged before you attempt to disassemble it or you may lose the vest.

azmodean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11244 on: March 28, 2014, 12:03:33 am »

Latest news from DDA development, Portals.  Still WIP, but the really tough parts are sorted out.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I don't think Jesus died from thorns being pushed into his brain. RTFA

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11245 on: March 28, 2014, 12:07:38 am »

I'm not sure I understand what's going on in that picture.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #11246 on: March 28, 2014, 12:12:14 am »

The player is looking straight up through a portal (see the two white 0's) and seeing what's on the other side as I understand it (the other end of the portal also happens to be on a road).
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Vgray

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11247 on: March 28, 2014, 12:26:45 am »

Hmm. Granted, the arrows I can make at the moment are rather crap...

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11248 on: March 28, 2014, 12:27:10 am »

It looks like the white 0's are portals, so there's two portals there, that lead to some sort of swamp.  There's two "pie slices" of vision that show water and trees...

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #11249 on: March 28, 2014, 12:30:47 am »

It looks like the white 0's are portals, so there's two portals there, that lead to some sort of swamp.  There's two "pie slices" of vision that show water and trees...
Ah, that makes a bit more sense :P.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.
Pages: 1 ... 748 749 [750] 751 752 ... 1086