Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 737 738 [739] 740 741 ... 1086

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!  (Read 1861123 times)

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - Version 0.A "Kaufman" released!
« Reply #11070 on: March 19, 2014, 11:47:37 am »

But is it fatal to Humvees?

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #11071 on: March 19, 2014, 12:14:44 pm »

But is it fatal to Humvees?
Hmm. Well, after upping the required strength a little, I was able to nearly total a Humvee running it into a tree full speed. Sent the engine block into the red, took out half the windscreen, tore off a passenger door, other damage... so yeah.

The APC still treats a forest like a drill does a wooden plank though. :P
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Sharp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11072 on: March 19, 2014, 12:16:02 pm »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2wimFnubzrQ

Tank vs tree.

I think that is an M1 Abrams Main Battle Tank, it weights approximately 61,000 kg (61t) and has a 1500hp engine, to put that into perspective a V6 has around 250hp. An APC like the Boxer weighs 33t and has a 711hp engine.

An APC could knock down an oak tree, but I think it would be pretty fucked up and probably break the engine.

WhitiusOpus

• Bay Watcher
  • Pro-radiation Lobbyist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11073 on: March 19, 2014, 01:24:10 pm »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2wimFnubzrQ

Tank vs tree.

I think that is an M1 Abrams Main Battle Tank, it weights approximately 61,000 kg (61t) and has a 1500hp engine, to put that into perspective a V6 has around 250hp. An APC like the Boxer weighs 33t and has a 711hp engine.

An APC could knock down an oak tree, but I think it would be pretty fucked up and probably break the engine.
For one, that M1 was going nowhere near it's top speed of about 50-60 mph. Also, the tank wasn't damaged, the tree barely so. Sure, a tree should be able to stop an APC, but those things go upwards of 70 mph, with much greater momentum. Also, with the steel plating it has, nothing would be damaged. Sure, it might be stalled, but it won't have fucked up armor and engine. Especially since wood can't destroy the steel plating of a military vehicle, designed for shit like this to happen at one point.

Note that I didn't say it was designed to specifically run over trees, but something like this was bound to happen at one point, so the engineers took that into consideration.
Quote from: The Froggy Ninja
Young Masches: Fetch yonder blade!
Masches grabs his "sword." Navi gasps. Her aura flushes a pinkish hue and she flies out the window.

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11074 on: March 19, 2014, 02:21:01 pm »

As an ex-19K it is painfully obvious to me that the driver had released the accelerator and the Abrams was stopping as it struck the tree.  A fully loaded M1-A2 Abrams masses 68 imperial tons, about the same in metric.  The top speed is considerably higher than 60 mph, the Army just doesn't like us disengaging the limiter, as we are much more likey to plow tracks above 'safe' speed. The Abrams can smash through four-foot thick reinforced concrete supports without slowing down, and suffer only minor distorsion of the glacis plating, so tank vs. tree = fallen tree.
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11075 on: March 19, 2014, 02:26:22 pm »

It was obvious to ME that he was slowing down.  You're not gonna run through anything if you're decelerating as you approach it, even if you DO smash it, you'll still just stop atop it...

What I think REALLY needs to change, is vehicle hardness.  Right now, vehicle parts have a durability, but no 'armor' value.  Just like personal armor, it should be capable of totally negating an attack with enough hardness.  There is NO REASON a zombie dog can chew through a heavy duty frame covered in military composite armor...

If vehicle parts are given an armor value that can negate damage taken, then it's just a matter of checking "This car has a simple frame, it takes the impact of the tree in full" or "This car has serious armor, it takes no damage."

Ivefan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11076 on: March 19, 2014, 02:47:00 pm »

If vehicle parts are given an armor value that can negate damage taken, then it's just a matter of checking "This car has a simple frame, it takes the impact of the tree in full" or "This car has serious armor, it takes no damage."
Though as it is now, armor/plating is a separate thing from frames. Welding plating over the whole car is basically just a turtle in its shell. Throw the turtle at 90kmps and the inside would still break.
There would need to be some calculation of structural strength in collisions but against attacks an armor value would be nice.

Problem is game balance though. Getting a good car can be done quite fast if one focus on it and if you then can armor it against creatures then you dont have to worry anymore.

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11077 on: March 19, 2014, 03:05:01 pm »

You have to leave it some.
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11078 on: March 19, 2014, 03:06:39 pm »

You only don't have to worry about them so long as you are in the vehicle. You still have to deal with the hordes of zombears that spawn like magic.

I can't wait for z-levels because maybe that will mean hatches in the tops of cars and the ability for zombies to swarm on top of the car itself to break the roof. 

Ivefan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11079 on: March 19, 2014, 03:27:58 pm »

You only don't have to worry about them so long as you are in the vehicle. You still have to deal with the hordes of zombears that spawn like magic.
Yet another roadkill. You just keep running over anything that moves until nothing does, then you get out and fetch whatever you wanted and go back into the car.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #11080 on: March 19, 2014, 03:31:19 pm »

I suggest trying that again in the current builds.
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #11081 on: March 19, 2014, 03:58:49 pm »

Interestingly, I just recently had my first experience with a working vehicle. Specifically a truck in a parking garage.

DRIVING IS HARD. Also crashing hard makes the game do the same. And I was doing SOOOOOO fucking awesome with that character too :(
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #11082 on: March 19, 2014, 04:34:19 pm »

Driving is not _that_ hard, but you have to drive as you would want to safely drive IRL.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Sharp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11083 on: March 19, 2014, 05:03:03 pm »

Sorry i think my tank vs tree video had the opposite effect because of the driver. I wasn't trying to say tanks can't run over trees, it's hard (for me) to find youtoob vids of tanks running over trees. This is more to halt point of trees being indestructible, but showing that you do need a lot of force to run it over.

Especially since wood can't destroy the steel plating of a military vehicle, designed for shit like this to happen at one point.

I'm pretty sure it can, especially at high speeds. When tanks are running over trees they don't do it at full speed they do it slowly and deliberately, if a tank ran at a tree at full speed it could probably take the impact (on a pine tree, not a redwood) but it would be risky, an APC though I would say no, an APC could probably take down trees like a tank while doing it slowly depending on the engine, obviously not as big a tree as a tank could.

Trees are pretty big obstacles for vehicles at speed, even tanks.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11084 on: March 19, 2014, 07:25:41 pm »

I think I kinda have to agree with that.  Hit something hard at high enough speed and it will do some damage even if yer armored.  The hard thing you hit is going to go away but it will probably bend some metal if yer going fast enough no matter what you hit.

It's pretty gruesome but if a car hits a pedestrian at high speed the pedestrian isn't going to be the only thing screwed up.  There will most certainly be a good amount of bent metal at the impact site, and a person isn't nearly as hard or as immobile as a full grown tree.  I don't care what your armor is made of hit a tree at high speed you will take some damage. 

Even if your armor itself is somehow unscathed, where the armor connects to the frame will look like a horror show.  The energy has to go somewhere and it can't all go into the tree.  I think there's a law of physics in there somewhere that I can't remember anymore.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2014, 07:27:22 pm by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!
Pages: 1 ... 737 738 [739] 740 741 ... 1086