Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 734 735 [736] 737 738 ... 1086

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!  (Read 1860988 times)

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - Version 0.A "Kaufman" released!
« Reply #11025 on: March 17, 2014, 04:51:16 pm »

To be honest, the katana is mostly a show in how well you can make a sword with bad iron. It really shouldn't be cutting faster compared to a broadsword since it's meant to be used in two hands. Plus they're bad enough at blocking that Musashi managed to sunder them using a wooden sword. I can see it being more of a slicing weapon than a chopping weapon though, since it's not straight edged.
[/quote]

and the nodachi was almost exclusively a cavalry weapon that would be clumsy at best on foot, yet in cataclysm it's one of the best weapons in the game - even better then the zwihander (which was a genuine infantry weapon)

It's just more "asian weapons are automatically better" wankery. Broadsword = good, katana = better. Zwihander = good, nodachi = better.
[/quote]

True beans, man. I mean, there's nothing wrong with a curved sword, but its curve would only slightly increase the contact area and such.
[/quote]

Curvature actually does something, AFAIK. There's a reason why Eastern Europe and Middle East and everything in the general area tended towards easing sabres over swords - they were designed with cutting through layers of cloth rather than piercing armor in mind, and the curvature along with the slashing motion employed in those helped achieve that.

This, however, might be a myth, I'm no sword expert.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11026 on: March 17, 2014, 05:05:25 pm »

For a more productive use of your time(s), just read the last katana debate. And the one before that. And the one before that. Into infinity.
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #11027 on: March 17, 2014, 05:42:00 pm »

You know what's !!FUN!!?

Willingly falling asleep at the wheel of a death cycle going 480 miles an hour on a collision course with a gas station!

Shame Walt didn't make it out of that one.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

The13thRonin

• Bay Watcher
  • Profession: Handsome Rogue
    • View Profile
« Reply #11028 on: March 17, 2014, 06:14:47 pm »

I debugged in a mobile meth lab playing a senior citizen named Walter White.

Hilarity ensues as I go barreling down the highway at eighty miles an hour. Until I smash into a pileup, that is.

For some reason people in this game seem to be car crash immune.

EDIT:
One has to wonder, though. A non-cheap, non-knockoff katana should have damage superior to the broadsword, while being harder to use.
Hmm.
To be honest, the katana is mostly a show in how well you can make a sword with bad iron. It really shouldn't be cutting faster compared to a broadsword since it's meant to be used in two hands. Plus they're bad enough at blocking that Musashi managed to sunder them using a wooden sword. I can see it being more of a slicing weapon than a chopping weapon though, since it's not straight edged.

and the nodachi was almost exclusively a cavalry weapon that would be clumsy at best on foot, yet in cataclysm it's one of the best weapons in the game - even better then the zwihander (which was a genuine infantry weapon)

It's just more "asian weapons are automatically better" wankery. Broadsword = good, katana = better. Zwihander = good, nodachi = better.

True beans, man. I mean, there's nothing wrong with a curved sword, but its curve would only slightly increase the contact area and such.

Have you seen dem Redguards? They have CURVED swords!
I'm Digging Deeper... AGAIN... You Should Too!

Dig Deeper DIAMOND - 750+ items of new content including; new plants, new creatures, new metals, new woods, new gems, new stones, new crafts and much, much more.

Vgray

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11029 on: March 17, 2014, 06:29:49 pm »

Huh. I found a house with a basement full of mostly gun ammo. Just ammo. No guns.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #11030 on: March 17, 2014, 07:57:17 pm »

I have the sudden urge to try this game again.

So...any survival tips?
If you hug a moose, it will hug you back, give you full health, and teleport you to a random safehouse, leaving your items and skills behind ;)

Lightningfalcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Target locked. Firing main cannon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11031 on: March 17, 2014, 07:59:31 pm »

I have the sudden urge to try this game again.

So...any survival tips?
If you hug a moose, it will hug you back, give you full health, and teleport you to a random safehouse, leaving your items and skills behind ;)
Not to mention it let's you choose a completely new set of skills!

Is it possible to find a gun nut who has actual guns, versus ammo for every gun known to man?   Or maybe both?
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum circo vincendarum
W-we just... wanted our...
Actually most of the people here explicitly wanted chaos and tragedy. So. Uh.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #11032 on: March 17, 2014, 08:00:38 pm »

Think about it like this -- that's the ammo that got left behind. The person took all their guns and went Rambo, obviously.
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #11033 on: March 17, 2014, 08:20:48 pm »

WHEE!

Not pictured: Trunk, Chainsaw Axe
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

KA101

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11034 on: March 18, 2014, 12:50:16 am »

People already brought up the war scythe, but the mention of bladed weapons reminds me of something else, though.  I always felt that, with the presence of the Firebrand, No. 9, Shishkebab, and Rising Sun recipes, the lack of a Flamberge or Flammenschwert recipe was a sad waste of a perfectly terrible pun.  I mean, I know the concept behind all of these weapons (spraycan flamethrower + bladed weapon + duct tape = flaming shenanigans) is silly, but they're fun.  We have zweihänders and rapiers, after all.

That's a "zweifire_off" you're wanting to make?  Been around since October or so.

Quote from: tools.json at 3833
"flammenschwert (aus)",
    "description": "Ein großes zweihändiges Schwert aus Deutschland, an dessen Klinge sich, unter zuführung von Benzin, eine anhaltende Flamme erzeugen lässt. Es ist eine sehr mächtige Waffe.",

As for which sword is better, well, the zweihander can block.  Can't say the same for the nodachi.

The13thRonin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11035 on: March 18, 2014, 02:36:41 am »

People already brought up the war scythe, but the mention of bladed weapons reminds me of something else, though.  I always felt that, with the presence of the Firebrand, No. 9, Shishkebab, and Rising Sun recipes, the lack of a Flamberge or Flammenschwert recipe was a sad waste of a perfectly terrible pun.  I mean, I know the concept behind all of these weapons (spraycan flamethrower + bladed weapon + duct tape = flaming shenanigans) is silly, but they're fun.  We have zweihänders and rapiers, after all.

That's a "zweifire_off" you're wanting to make?  Been around since October or so.

Quote from: tools.json at 3833
"flammenschwert (aus)",
    "description": "Ein großes zweihändiges Schwert aus Deutschland, an dessen Klinge sich, unter zuführung von Benzin, eine anhaltende Flamme erzeugen lässt. Es ist eine sehr mächtige Waffe.",

As for which sword is better, well, the zweihander can block.  Can't say the same for the nodachi.

On the other hand the zweihander's description is in German... Therefore you should melt it down and use it for scrap.

Dig Deeper DIAMOND - 750+ items of new content including; new plants, new creatures, new metals, new woods, new gems, new stones, new crafts and much, much more.

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11036 on: March 18, 2014, 03:11:39 am »

(response to trouble removed)

I hate zombears. Always recking my windows in my nice farmhouses.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2014, 11:02:00 am by Toady One »

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #11037 on: March 18, 2014, 03:14:59 am »

I think I once had a regular bear just break down a door in my shelter at one point. It didn't come in or anything, it just tore down the door.
Though it might be time to get some bear traps and set them around the farmhouse.

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #11038 on: March 18, 2014, 03:18:04 am »

I still remember my first game on 0.9, and getting into a semi truck and driving down a highway as fast as I could for fun.

And then a moose got hit and didn't die somehow, and rolled up and broke through my windshield. Then I was trying to control the semi while smacking the moose with a machete.
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

The13thRonin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11039 on: March 18, 2014, 03:26:25 am »

I still remember my first game on 0.9, and getting into a semi truck and driving down a highway as fast as I could for fun.

And then a moose got hit and didn't die somehow, and rolled up and broke through my windshield. Then I was trying to control the semi while smacking the moose with a machete.

Why does that never happen in my games? :'(

Pages: 1 ... 734 735 [736] 737 738 ... 1086