Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 733 734 [735] 736 737 ... 1086

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!  (Read 1861153 times)

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - Version 0.A "Kaufman" released!
« Reply #11010 on: March 17, 2014, 12:44:53 pm »

Now I kinda want to make a character who fancies themselves the Grim Reaper...
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11011 on: March 17, 2014, 12:58:03 pm »

Now I kinda want to make a character who fancies themselves the Grim Reaper...
Sometimes I build the 'dancing death' type character.  Usually a corset, stockings, and war scythe, with infinite dodge.  Bird mutation works well for it.

Vgray

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11012 on: March 17, 2014, 01:10:35 pm »

I have the sudden urge to try this game again.

So...any survival tips?

Steelmagic

• Bay Watcher
  • Insanity makes everything fun!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11013 on: March 17, 2014, 01:13:58 pm »

I have the sudden urge to try this game again.

So...any survival tips?
Don't let your torso or head health drop to 0.

More seriously, looting at night is a hell of a lot safer than daytime looting, although you can barely see and may miss some stuff.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2014, 01:24:04 pm by Steelmagic »
When i say "I'm no expert but..." It means "I have no idea what the hell I'm talking about but I'm going to try to sound like i do."

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #11014 on: March 17, 2014, 01:18:07 pm »

People already brought up the war scythe, but the mention of bladed weapons reminds me of something else, though.  I always felt that, with the presence of the Firebrand, No. 9, Shishkebab, and Rising Sun recipes, the lack of a Flamberge or Flammenschwert recipe was a sad waste of a perfectly terrible pun.  I mean, I know the concept behind all of these weapons (spraycan flamethrower + bladed weapon + duct tape = flaming shenanigans) is silly, but they're fun.  We have zweihänders and rapiers, after all. 

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #11015 on: March 17, 2014, 02:20:22 pm »

Starting a new game in a new world.

Maybe 30 is too high a spawn rate setting after all...
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Ivefan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11016 on: March 17, 2014, 02:35:10 pm »

Nah. You just need a thicker bumper on your murdercar.
Or molotows.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #11017 on: March 17, 2014, 02:36:23 pm »

Nah. You just need a thicker bumper on your murdercar.
Or molotows.

Or a Krav Maga Blackbelt with Quick.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Silfurdreki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11018 on: March 17, 2014, 03:01:03 pm »

Speaking about bladed weapons, I've always wanted a falx in the game. The easiest way to make one would be to just take an ordinary scythe and mount the blade on a shorter handle, so that it sticks out from the end, rather than being perpendicular to the blade.

It always struck me as the melee weapon to us against zombies, since it's designed to sever limbs and cause horrible cuts.
War scythe?

Wait, there is a war scythe these days?

Silly me, disregard my mention of the falx.
Entropy is not what it used to be.

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #11019 on: March 17, 2014, 03:08:10 pm »

One has to wonder, though. A non-cheap, non-knockoff katana should have damage superior to the broadsword, while being harder to use.
Hmm.
To be honest, the katana is mostly a show in how well you can make a sword with bad iron. It really shouldn't be cutting faster compared to a broadsword since it's meant to be used in two hands. Plus they're bad enough at blocking that Musashi managed to sunder them using a wooden sword. I can see it being more of a slicing weapon than a chopping weapon though, since it's not straight edged.

and the nodachi was almost exclusively a cavalry weapon that would be clumsy at best on foot, yet in cataclysm it's one of the best weapons in the game - even better then the zwihander (which was a genuine infantry weapon)

It's just more "asian weapons are automatically better" wankery. Broadsword = good, katana = better. Zwihander = good, nodachi = better.
An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

Cheedows

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a dwarf, right?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11020 on: March 17, 2014, 03:16:07 pm »

Honestly in real life katanas would be shit in the apocalypse since they were extremely high maintenance swords.

Ivefan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11021 on: March 17, 2014, 03:33:58 pm »

Honestly in real life katanas would be shit in the apocalypse since they were extremely high maintenance swords.
Weeeeell.... One would assume that any katana made/found in New England would use the same metal and production method as any other sword made there and thus the only difference would be the shape.
Exception would be imported, smith pet projects or antiques.

And as a sidenote on anti-zombie effectiveness.
I dont know what kind of zombies is in this game. But against the 'traditional' zombies, slashing would be less effective than cutting as they aren't likely to bleed to death, though i guess slashing off a sinew would lame the zombie. So the best thing to do would be to go for a sword that is good at dismembering

Steelmagic

• Bay Watcher
  • Insanity makes everything fun!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11022 on: March 17, 2014, 03:43:09 pm »

New England, I ask for one of two things: A welder, or duct tape. You give me neither of those things, what do you give me? Zombies, a fuckton of them.
When i say "I'm no expert but..." It means "I have no idea what the hell I'm talking about but I'm going to try to sound like i do."

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #11023 on: March 17, 2014, 04:03:08 pm »

I debugged in a mobile meth lab playing a senior citizen named Walter White.

Hilarity ensues as I go barreling down the highway at eighty miles an hour. Until I smash into a pileup, that is.

For some reason people in this game seem to be car crash immune.

EDIT:
One has to wonder, though. A non-cheap, non-knockoff katana should have damage superior to the broadsword, while being harder to use.
Hmm.
To be honest, the katana is mostly a show in how well you can make a sword with bad iron. It really shouldn't be cutting faster compared to a broadsword since it's meant to be used in two hands. Plus they're bad enough at blocking that Musashi managed to sunder them using a wooden sword. I can see it being more of a slicing weapon than a chopping weapon though, since it's not straight edged.

and the nodachi was almost exclusively a cavalry weapon that would be clumsy at best on foot, yet in cataclysm it's one of the best weapons in the game - even better then the zwihander (which was a genuine infantry weapon)

It's just more "asian weapons are automatically better" wankery. Broadsword = good, katana = better. Zwihander = good, nodachi = better.

True beans, man. I mean, there's nothing wrong with a curved sword, but its curve would only slightly increase the contact area and such.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2014, 04:10:18 pm by Tawarochir »
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Lightningfalcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Target locked. Firing main cannon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11024 on: March 17, 2014, 04:12:15 pm »

EDIT:  Wrong topic, will post revelent Cataclysm stuff momentarily
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum circo vincendarum
W-we just... wanted our...
Actually most of the people here explicitly wanted chaos and tragedy. So. Uh.
Pages: 1 ... 733 734 [735] 736 737 ... 1086