Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 732 733 [734] 735 736 ... 1086

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!  (Read 1861156 times)

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - Version 0.A "Kaufman" released!
« Reply #10995 on: March 17, 2014, 01:25:46 am »

I like the broadsword as well. It keeps blocking the dang zombear swarms and is actually better than a katana. It has 1 more overall damage and is +2 accuracy rather then +1. I actually have one on my latest LP character who has been doing quite well so far.
One has to wonder, though. A non-cheap, non-knockoff katana should have damage superior to the broadsword, while being harder to use.
Hmm.
Well, looking at the json definitions, it seems like it loses a little bash damage in favor of cut damage, and it actually has some major differences. The katana has an extra technique, "RAPID", and has "WBLOCK_2" instead of the broadsword's "WBLOCK_1". Plus its has the "SLICE" flag, instead of "CHOP". So in a metagaming sense, it's superior - higher block chance, faster attack, less stick chance, plus greater proportion of cut damage for armor piercing.
Pfff a burst from my friendly shotgun with high skill? Check, i can *snipe* them with slugs and never get close enough to even try to think about hitting me.

Also im taking the mooses from cataclysm pretty much as the elephant in DF, i wonder if its an *hommage* to DF to have a once peacefull animal on killing spree.
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

Kaitol

• Bay Watcher
  • Heya, Red.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10996 on: March 17, 2014, 01:36:16 am »

Moose are not peaceful. They are savage jerks that will maul anything they think they can get away with mauling.

Territorial bastards.

Akhier the Dragon hearted

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #10997 on: March 17, 2014, 01:43:56 am »

I have been considering going on a moose hunt though mostly because I get fat most of the time when I butcher them and tallow not only lasts forever but can be turned into lamp oil if I need it.
Join us. The crazy is at a perfect temperature today.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #10998 on: March 17, 2014, 05:02:26 am »

One has to wonder, though. A non-cheap, non-knockoff katana should have damage superior to the broadsword, while being harder to use.
Hmm.
To be honest, the katana is mostly a show in how well you can make a sword with bad iron. It really shouldn't be cutting faster compared to a broadsword since it's meant to be used in two hands. Plus they're bad enough at blocking that Musashi managed to sunder them using a wooden sword. I can see it being more of a slicing weapon than a chopping weapon though, since it's not straight edged. As far as ease of use goes, we have kendo schools, but the only real way to learn how to use a sword is by piecing together information from books written by German fencing schools, while kendo and iajitsu are still taught on a wider scale, so, yeah. Basically, broad sword users would have to learn how to use it from scratch.

Does Chopping allow one to deal more damage through accurate hits though? Or is it just related to stuck chance?

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #10999 on: March 17, 2014, 07:00:11 am »

I think the description implied the aggressive moose are bulls in the 'get the fuck out of my turf' phase.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #11000 on: March 17, 2014, 07:05:39 am »

My mobile fortress Party Wagon is now equipped with a forge rig and a welding rig, as well as a FOODCO kitchen buddy. I'm now in the process of amassing enough rope to fill the rest of it with cargo carriers. And once I'm done I'm heading south by bridge across the river, maybe see if I can find another good place to be.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #11001 on: March 17, 2014, 08:48:45 am »

Thanks.... By the way....any big differences between the "grahics  ready easy download" stable version with the mod manager and the experimental, feature wise?
Well I know that in the stable version the trog mutagens don't work. I found that bug, and its fixed in the experimental.

Though I haven't played the experimental all that much, I'll say I'm finding a lot less random dead squads of soldiers/exploded jeeps with lots of easy modified sexy combat vests then in the stable version.

Also the "horde" mechanic is scary. I beginner, I stay away!

AND I can confirm that to a character who hasn't been totally kill-machined out the Moose is a horrible terrifying creature. As are dogs, coyotes and anything that isn't a squirrel.

NPCs who randomly hate you and interrupt your crafting/sleeping/generally minding your own business just to tell you to leave the shelter you started in and/or randomly shoot you in the face repeatedly however are somewhere around "Thermonuclear Sphincter Seeking Missiles" in terms of "wreck your shit" potential.
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11002 on: March 17, 2014, 08:51:20 am »

I woke up and went out, just to get a warning from the safe mode. Yep, it was a moose 3 tiles away. Why do them keep seeking their deaths? Well, at least I am 3 tallow portions and 10 dehydrated meats richer.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11003 on: March 17, 2014, 10:32:35 am »

Hmm.
To be honest, the katana is mostly a show in how well you can make a sword with bad iron. It really shouldn't be cutting faster compared to a broadsword since it's meant to be used in two hands. Plus they're bad enough at blocking that Musashi managed to sunder them using a wooden sword. I can see it being more of a slicing weapon than a chopping weapon though, since it's not straight edged. As far as ease of use goes, we have kendo schools, but the only real way to learn how to use a sword is by piecing together information from books written by German fencing schools, while kendo and iajitsu are still taught on a wider scale, so, yeah. Basically, broad sword users would have to learn how to use it from scratch.

Does Chopping allow one to deal more damage through accurate hits though? Or is it just related to stuck chance?
The katana is not a very good sword.  As far as swords go, it's relatively thick and not -super- sharp.  Its main purpose was when a samurai was dealing with peasants, and ceremonial purposes.  So it's good at dealing with untrained naked flesh.  It's also a sword design that remained almost completely unchanged for, well, centuries.  Meanwhile, in Europe, the arms race of swords and armor only stopped because gunfire obsoleted them.  Broadswords are designed with thousands of years of knowledge on metalworking, physics, and experience with combat.  Late Renaissance swords are some of the best designs for large bladed weapons in the world, simply because every design was built on information learned from the last type of sword.

Essentially, the katana is a 70's corvette and the broadsword is a 2010 Toyota.  One is a classic and visually stunning, but has shit gas mileage and doesn't drive as well as it looks.  The other is a refined design that is built entirely around being the best car that's easily produced.  (Please don't derail saying you know anything about cars, these are just EXAMPLES and not meant to be super specific.)

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #11004 on: March 17, 2014, 10:35:26 am »

AND I can confirm that to a character who hasn't been totally kill-machined out the Moose is a horrible terrifying creature. As are dogs, coyotes and anything that isn't a squirrel.
Hmmm, squirrels are probably among the smallest creatures in the game, smaller even than the sewer rats.  Given the discussion we had a couple pages back on how size affects hit rates, this plainly means that we now need dire squirrels to spawn in swarms and act as hostile mobs.  I'd say zombie squirrels as well, but sadly, there are fluff reasons that oppose that. 

Holy devil, though, I never realized until looking everything up how large mutated spiders are in-game.  Black Widows are larger than bats, and Wolf Spiders are the size of adult humans. o.O

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11005 on: March 17, 2014, 10:39:05 am »

Suggestion: According to the wiki, mutations are addictive.  Shouldn't CBMs be addictive as well?  Especially considering how many survivors pop adderall and meth and install 10 bionics at a time, it seems like those spurts would raise your addiction level WAY too fast, and encourage people to either install more gradually, or be able to bunker up and wait out the addiction.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #11006 on: March 17, 2014, 11:31:00 am »

Suggestion: According to the wiki, mutations are addictive.  Shouldn't CBMs be addictive as well?  Especially considering how many survivors pop adderall and meth and install 10 bionics at a time, it seems like those spurts would raise your addiction level WAY too fast, and encourage people to either install more gradually, or be able to bunker up and wait out the addiction.
But then they would just invent a bionic to remove bionic addiction!

ITS SO SIMPLE!

Also, thank you for pointing out that Katana's are not actually better. It gets pretty annoying to have people gush over it.
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

Silfurdreki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11007 on: March 17, 2014, 12:04:28 pm »

Speaking about bladed weapons, I've always wanted a falx in the game. The easiest way to make one would be to just take an ordinary scythe and mount the blade on a shorter handle, so that it sticks out from the end, rather than being perpendicular to the blade.

It always struck me as the melee weapon to us against zombies, since it's designed to sever limbs and cause horrible cuts.

Also, speaking of farming implements, we need a pitchfork, for those torches and pitchforks moments. Plus, it'd be another spear, which I'm all for.
Entropy is not what it used to be.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11008 on: March 17, 2014, 12:09:05 pm »

Speaking about bladed weapons, I've always wanted a falx in the game. The easiest way to make one would be to just take an ordinary scythe and mount the blade on a shorter handle, so that it sticks out from the end, rather than being perpendicular to the blade.

It always struck me as the melee weapon to us against zombies, since it's designed to sever limbs and cause horrible cuts.
War scythe?
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11009 on: March 17, 2014, 12:44:10 pm »

War scythe?
War scythe is a really good weapon. Until you use it to melee bots to death. That's how I lost my most successful character so far.
Pages: 1 ... 732 733 [734] 735 736 ... 1086