Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 711 712 [713] 714 715 ... 1086

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!  (Read 1860721 times)

Ivefan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - Version 0.A "Kaufman" released!
« Reply #10680 on: March 09, 2014, 08:57:33 am »

By the by, would anyone besides me really like to see more complex vehicles with more realistic damage? Axles, suspensions, radiators, gearboxes, brakes...
Yes... and no. I'd rather have other aspects of the game improved before that but some things would be nice to have adjusted perhaps. Like damage vs static object and other vehicles.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #10681 on: March 09, 2014, 09:01:15 am »

It seems to require the same amount of skill as installing a new wheel does.
Spoiler: Screenshot (click to show/hide)
The car back at the gas station I call home requires 4 skill. This bike I found next to the town's garage requires 2 for its smaller wheel.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #10682 on: March 09, 2014, 09:28:42 am »

Are you sure you picked Replace Wheel and not Repair?
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #10683 on: March 09, 2014, 09:51:16 am »

Are you sure you picked Replace Wheel and not Repair?
Ah. Hm. Yeah, that might have been Repair.

Well, one way or another... I now have a working vehicle! :D Feels like an accomplishment. No, I didn't ever have a working vehicle in this game yet - except briefly when I was trying to flee a horde and accidentally drove it two feet forward into a wall and had to leave.
I found the Under the Hood magazine - in a military surplus store, of all places - not in the garage or the library. And with the newfound 2 points of Mechanics I was able to transplant the seats and seatbelts from a regular car to a mostly intact Flatbed.

So now I am emptying all the crap I managed to accumulate in the gas station, into the flatbed. I'll probably craft some tanks to hold extra fuel. And after that... exploration! :)
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Ivefan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10684 on: March 09, 2014, 10:21:30 am »

Get yourself a hacksaw and a wrench and just disassemble a few cars and you'll gain mechanics skill, or just the fuel tanks from them if you do not want to go further than that.
If you just want a ride Then I guess you dont really need to get your skill up. But If you intend to do some modifying I suggest that you rip out solars and batteries for a wielding rig so you dont have to waste normal batteries for the hand wielder.
If you're gonna go for a mobile base I suggest roaming the roads until you find an APC or Humvee

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10685 on: March 09, 2014, 10:34:15 am »

A luxury RV is also pretty decent, it comes with a kitchen and minifridge, which is crazy valuable.  I've managed to find a welding cart, APC, and Luxury RV, so I've got a mobile armored base with plenty of storage (seats) as well as built-in welding and cooking center.  I just imagine you open the APC, and see the 5-point harness buckled tightly around their precious cargo - a pile of 200 bones stacked in the seat, piles of leather and fur mixed with discarded sporks and paper, and a single rifle buckled into a seat with ALL the attachments that could be fit onto it.

Ivefan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10686 on: March 09, 2014, 10:48:12 am »

My recent rounds have started by getting a solar car, go around until I have stuffed it full with solars and batteries from other cars. If I find a RV or garage I look for a rig, kitchen or fridge, But otherwise I just drive around until I find a humvee on the roads somewhere.

Girlinhat, why dont you make cargo spaces instead of seats? You get a lot of ropes from the harnesses.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10687 on: March 09, 2014, 10:58:05 am »

Oh yeah, I can make those...  Last time I played this much, cargo carriers were non-craftable.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10688 on: March 09, 2014, 11:11:38 am »

I often keep situational tools and weapons in the side seat buckled in with care, my current character has a LAW, 3 Molotovs, a grenade launcher with ammo, a SKS that's so tricked out with accuracy and recoil mods that it could potentially break the world record sniper kill range, C4, a jerrycan full of gas, a wrench, a hacksaw, a rope, a rubber hose, and a first aid kit.

And people freak out on the road when their 2 liters of soda fall off the passenger seat during a sudden stop...
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

wer6

• Bay Watcher
  • SCOUT DOESNT WANNA GIVE A KISS
    • View Profile
    • Pirate baaaayyyy!~
« Reply #10689 on: March 09, 2014, 11:31:35 am »

just found A V8 engine stuck on the side of the road!
 now only if i chould find a vehicle to drive back...
Just before leaving, Psysquid quickly summons a Burrito in his mouth.

Knight of Fools

• Bay Watcher
  • From Start to Beginning
    • View Profile
    • Knight of Fools
« Reply #10690 on: March 09, 2014, 11:57:23 am »

You could just drag a locker or a shopping cart out there instead.
Proud Member of the Zombie Horse Executioner Squad. "This Horse ain't quite dead yet."

I don't have a British accent, but I still did a YouTube.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #10691 on: March 09, 2014, 12:02:35 pm »

Aww, a really cool character I had just died. I've been lucky with labs (found THREE), and by the time he died, he was Extremely Strong and Dextrous and looked like a freaking demon (and was a Psychopath, to boot). DAMN YOU SECBOTS!
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10692 on: March 09, 2014, 12:37:15 pm »

So found a crash.  I attached an auxiliary flamethrower to the underbarrel of my savage.  I used 'F' to change fire mode to the flamethrower, and tried to refill it directly from my APC by siphoning from it, which failed.  Thinking it may work different, I detached it and tried to fill it, then got a bottle, filled it with gasoline, attached the flamethrower, and the menu stuck.  It would reload bullets into the savage, but wouldn't change fire mode, and when gasoline should have been filled, it crashed.

Problem: Removing an attached weapon while having that firing mode active.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10693 on: March 09, 2014, 01:15:07 pm »

Oh yeah, I can make those...  Last time I played this much, cargo carriers were non-craftable.
They are last time I checked. 4 long ropes, plus some other stuff I can't remember right now. Made one and attached it to a shopping cart after removing the old basket. I think they take a decent mechanics/fabrication skill to build though.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10694 on: March 09, 2014, 01:23:03 pm »

They are last time I checked. 4 long ropes, plus some other stuff I can't remember right now. Made one and attached it to a shopping cart after removing the old basket. I think they take a decent mechanics/fabrication skill to build though.
It's only 4 in fabrication.

In other news, I've discovered that military bunkers are ridiculously difficult to get into.  The chain link fence took like 3 ramming attempts from an upgraded APC!
Pages: 1 ... 711 712 [713] 714 715 ... 1086