Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 710 711 [712] 713 714 ... 1086

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!  (Read 1860816 times)

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - Version 0.A "Kaufman" released!
« Reply #10665 on: March 08, 2014, 11:51:34 pm »

Well, I'm not too sure how to add new bionics...  And it is kinda practical.  I was thinking of modding in a 'doomsday survival gun' that would essentially be the field soldier's go-to resource on everything needed to survive.  Being able to wear it for 1 encumberance torso would be neat.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #10666 on: March 08, 2014, 11:52:45 pm »

Excellent stuff!  How would it work to start crossing item types, too?  Like, could you have a firearm that you could wear, or would the tags start mussing with each other?
Right now the game allows for tool armor types (it's its own special thing) other then that no "cross" typing is currently supported by the game.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

UristMcDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10667 on: March 08, 2014, 11:53:33 pm »

also i just want to point out how much i love foot cranks. low upkeep vehicles for chumps like me :P

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10668 on: March 08, 2014, 11:58:41 pm »

also i just want to point out how much i love foot cranks. low upkeep vehicles for chumps like me :P
So I found a pretty awesome APC, began refitting it for added security and electricity.  It's fantastic for bringing around, but can't maneuver well.  I'm going to add an outboard welding rig and equipment for building a small pipe truck, built of mainly ultra-lightweight frames, extra-lightweight quarterpannels, bicycle foot crank, a few baskets, and a cloth roof.  It should be my convenient way to get around inside towns and provide some protection against zombies by making them crawl over things.

UristMcDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10669 on: March 09, 2014, 12:00:18 am »

i found a lmoe shelter.

its nice in here

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #10670 on: March 09, 2014, 12:14:24 am »

I found a go bag. In a regular house. During my first ever night raid (not in-character). If that thing really unpacks into everything that goes into its recipe... holy frak.

In other news, after some heavy-handed percussive persuasion of the code, the Tileset Editor is now capable of processing the DawnFortress tileset, after only minor editing. Some more editing will be required to weed out unwanted furniture - like doors in place of thick cross sections.
Spoiler: Screenshot (click to show/hide)
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10671 on: March 09, 2014, 12:19:24 am »

I think if you're going that far, you should make zombies appear as goblins.  It'd take some finnicking, I'm sure, but it'd be fun!

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10672 on: March 09, 2014, 12:31:05 am »

I think if you're going that far, you should make zombies appear as goblins.  It'd take some finnicking, I'm sure, but it'd be fun!
It's possible, if only zombies ever use the capital Z letter. But if you're adding pixel art you're better off actually starting a tileset. In this case what I made it do is accept non-pure pink as both a back color mask and an additional alpha mask. Which means that, theoretically, sets with a darker purple background should also work now.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10673 on: March 09, 2014, 12:42:56 am »

You'll have to link me to that one. There are no Vherid's tilesets on the wiki.

Last I checked the wiki is horrendously (years) out of date. The subforum for tilesets is where all the good stuff is. Vherid is on the first page and has been for months.
Aha. Checking it...

And... yes and no. The tileset itself just needs to have a pink background tacked on.
But the colors are hardcoded into the generator, and there isn't - yet - anything in the way of a config file to tweak them.
Hardcoded? I thought it had been made modable for things like being made color blind friendly already.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10674 on: March 09, 2014, 01:09:55 am »

You'll have to link me to that one. There are no Vherid's tilesets on the wiki.

Last I checked the wiki is horrendously (years) out of date. The subforum for tilesets is where all the good stuff is. Vherid is on the first page and has been for months.
Aha. Checking it...

And... yes and no. The tileset itself just needs to have a pink background tacked on.
But the colors are hardcoded into the generator, and there isn't - yet - anything in the way of a config file to tweak them.
Hardcoded? I thought it had been made modable for things like being made color blind friendly already.
I don't know how it is in the game, but the game only uses those for its console/glyph ASCII output, not tiles. These are tiles, and the colors are set into the generator function of the Tileset Editor. Remember, Cataclysm tiles are not the same thing as Dwarf Fortress tiles. And its sidebar is horrendously large if straight-up bitmap tiles are used for its SDL output. Also the tiles will either lose background then, or the menus will be solid color.

azmodean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10675 on: March 09, 2014, 01:41:43 am »

Bicycles/foot cranks were the FIRST thing I added to the game :D
Excellent stuff!  How would it work to start crossing item types, too?  Like, could you have a firearm that you could wear, or would the tags start mussing with each other?
Currently this is only supported if you hack the specific combination into the code, right now it's just tool/armor.  I want to overhaul how items work to let you combine arbitrary properties, but it'll be a BIG undertaking.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2014, 01:43:46 am by azmodean »
I don't think Jesus died from thorns being pushed into his brain. RTFA

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10676 on: March 09, 2014, 07:25:06 am »

So... spraycan flamethrowers. For an early-ish craftable weapon it's pretty darn effective. Run around, gather mob, blast the mob, run around in circles until it's dead. Reload, repeat. You do lose any loot that can burn to the fire, but in a pinch...

Also, I just realized I need only 2 mechanics skill (and a wrench and duct tape) to dismantle a seat from one car and stuff it into another.

But I need 4 mechanics skill to change a wheel? What? Changing a wheel is about the most basic bit of repair you can do to a car - all the difficulty is in needing the right tools. Why is the requirement so high?
« Last Edit: March 09, 2014, 07:27:51 am by Sean Mirrsen »

Ivefan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10677 on: March 09, 2014, 07:31:54 am »

No, you need 4 mechanics to replace the wheel mount or whatever one should call it. If you have a tire of the same size as the one you want to replace then you can do that easily.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10678 on: March 09, 2014, 08:28:15 am »

No, you need 4 mechanics to replace the wheel mount or whatever one should call it. If you have a tire of the same size as the one you want to replace then you can do that easily.
Wheel hub and suspension? Maybe. But I have a car next to this gas station that has a spare wheel in the back, and trying to replace one of the broken wheels requires 4 skill. I guess "fully destroyed" means "destroyed along with everything that was holding it there".

By the by, would anyone besides me really like to see more complex vehicles with more realistic damage? Axles, suspensions, radiators, gearboxes, brakes...

Pages: 1 ... 710 711 [712] 713 714 ... 1086