Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 708 709 [710] 711 712 ... 1086

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!  (Read 1860577 times)

UristMcDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - Version 0.A "Kaufman" released!
« Reply #10635 on: March 08, 2014, 05:17:24 pm »

How can I get myself past reinforced glass?

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
« Reply #10636 on: March 08, 2014, 05:20:01 pm »

Explosives.
Also things like jackhammers & sonic resonators.
Badges of honor
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Check this shit out- (it changes)
Profile->Modify Profile->Look and Layout->Current Theme: Default [Change]->Darkling (it's good for your eyes and looks better)

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10637 on: March 08, 2014, 05:29:19 pm »

How can I get myself past reinforced glass?
Reinforced Glass is a strange item, only matched by Lava.  In previous versions, the only way to get through was an explosion or jackhammer - Lava being even weirder, because a proper jackhammer could actually destroy lava and leave dirt behind!

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
« Reply #10638 on: March 08, 2014, 05:30:48 pm »

Hmm, could cook-off be used to breach them?
Badges of honor
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Check this shit out- (it changes)
Profile->Modify Profile->Look and Layout->Current Theme: Default [Change]->Darkling (it's good for your eyes and looks better)

UristMcDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10639 on: March 08, 2014, 05:30:55 pm »

Also, is there a reliable, no virus software I can use to automate archery training? Like a simple macro creator?

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10640 on: March 08, 2014, 05:49:41 pm »

Also, is there a reliable, no virus software I can use to automate archery training? Like a simple macro creator?
Autohotkey is probably your favorite for that.  On the simplest level, it can input keys straight as they're given.  I use it for mass-boiling water when I need to refill my enormous WARBUS's water tanks, and sit beside a swimming pool.

UristMcDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10641 on: March 08, 2014, 05:57:25 pm »

Well, I'm rich in explosives, right now. I'm against save-scumming but I need to preserve this legacy. :P

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10642 on: March 08, 2014, 06:00:43 pm »

Well, I'm rich in explosives, right now. I'm against save-scumming but I need to preserve this legacy. :P
Curiously, I find myself in possession of explosives more quickly than food, in most games!

UristMcDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10643 on: March 08, 2014, 06:01:31 pm »

Yeah, but do you have not one, but two mininukes?  ;)

Blaze

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chaos that Crawls up on you with a Smile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10644 on: March 08, 2014, 06:02:46 pm »

You can find upwards of 60 mininukes in some lab finales.

Just use debug mode to bring up your archery levels if you're going to just macro it in.

azmodean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - Version 0.9 "Ma" released!
« Reply #10645 on: March 08, 2014, 06:11:11 pm »

you can't regenerate terrain from the map screen, you're stuck with whatever character the creator gives you, and it would take forever to make something interesting.
Look in the save folder, all the files with "seen" in the name record what parts of the map you've explored, delete them and it resets to nothing.
I don't understand, "regenerate terrain from the map screen", do you mean "turn this square into (for example) a house, that will be generated when the pc gets in range"?

Yeah, basically that's what I mean. Right now if you want to regenerate a tile you have to actually be in the area, select the tile you want to regenerate, and then change it. This makes something such as, say, creating an entire town a little more difficult and tedious. Being able to regenerate entire swathes of land, like turning an entire town into a forest, would be nifty too.
AAh! so what you really want is an overmap equivalent of the terrain editor, that shouldn't be that hard, I'm filing an issue for it right now so it doesn't get lost.  That'd let you "rough in" a town-scale area, then possibly go through it with the other editor for detail work.
And for deleting the map tiles, wouldn't that have the side effect of erasing any changes you've thrown into that area? Speaking mainly from the perspective of custom scenarios, if I wanted to make a custom building that the player could discover in the course of play, I'd want to keep any custom tiles, items, and monsters I put there.
No, the blabla.seen.blabla save files only record *which* areas you've explored, not any of the actual map information.  It's so different players can have different revealed areas.

So it's been a good bit since I've played and...I can't play. I looked into what's changed since I last played and apparently I have to do some wizardry involving downloading a bunch of crap I'll use for nothing else where too much can go wrong on this iffy rig of mine (6-year old Dell laptop held together by tape and my undying faith in the Omnissiah). Is there some way to play I've somehow overlooked or am I doomed not to touch Cata for an unspecified amount of time?
If you're pulling the experimental, we migrated to SDL2.0 immediately after the release (it was ready a week earlier, but we delayed landing it until after the release to not risk breaking stuff, and looks like that was a good thing).  The 0.A stable should have substantially the same requirements as previous versions.  (except maybe LUA5.1, I think that got turned on for this release)

One would be some sort of late-game, expensive method of teleporting around the map. Like, with 10 fabrication, 10 electronics, I can make a paired portal which would transport me to its twin (at the cost of some plutonium power cells) when entered. Mainly as a convenience feature for when I have a cosy home base in one area, but I've completely exhausted its resources and have to travel far afield for new stuff.
If we did this it would be a fixture in a lab, and you'd find/repair it as opposed to building it.  it's totally out of scope for the player to make super-science stuff from scratch.
The other would be more options regarding safe mode, and ignoring certain enemies. I'm plagued by dogs, that the game seems to alternate between recognising as hostile or friendly. It'd be nice if I could configure safe mode to completely ignore dogs, in any and all circumstances. Ideally, I'd configure it to ignore anything weaker than a Zombear. A few errant keypresses near a zombie cop won't do me any harm, and the fiddling around with ' for ignore, or turning safe mode off and on, slow me down a lot. But I still want safemode on in case a Jabberwock or a Hulk appears round the corner.
Less options and more tweaking it to do the right thing, possibly including having dogs come in hostile and friendly varieties to work around that particular annoyance.  Configurable thresholds for safe mode seems like more trouble than it's worth, but I guess I wouldn't object to someone adding it.
I believe making the storage bit like DF is a great idea. Having to actually place your items in the container, and decide which ones should be more accessible, would add more in-depth gameplay, at least in my opinion. Having a "Magical Carrying place of the Gods", where you increase it by putting on more clothing with Storage space, is waaay off as opposed to actually having put items in their containers. In my opinion, at least. I'd like to be able to drop the bag with the gear (ala Duffel Bag filled with stuff, like a Go Bag) than have to micromanage.
We've been over this MANY times, I personally think the DF inventory UI is completely unworkable.  We are planning on migrating inventory handling to a nested container model, but the default will be the inventory trying to do the right thing on its own, and allowing the player to override that if they want, not forcing the player to make usually pointless decisions about which pocket to put things in.  If you want the details, there have been many discussions about it on the dda forums.
I could see making a penalty for untrained weapon handlers and with guns that aren't ideal for CQC (Such as long rifles), but it should quickly degrade as you've gained skills in the weapon you're using (Except where it makes sense that the gun would be harder to use in CQC, where your idea makes sense).
I really really like the idea of some rifles being so long they get a - to accuracy in melee range.  I imagine something with a 26 inch barrel would be so long yer pretty much bludgeoning your target with it just to get the right end pointing at them.
The current system for this is that guns have a "minimum range" based on volume, if the target is closer than the minimum range they count as being at the minimum range.  This isn't very well though tout though, since many rifles are so accurate that they're auto-hit at their minimum range, so it doesn't have a discernible effect.
My plan for this in the future is a more tactical system for aiming, where you spend time to zero in on a target before firing, buch like the recoil system, but it resets every time you change targets.  Recoil and aim would also take a hit every time you move, including dodges, blocks, and getting hit, which would naturally disadvantage ranged attacks in CQC.  Smaller weapons (e.g. pistols) would take less time to aim, so you could get a decent aim-and-fire off between attacks, where it takes longer to draw a bead with a rifle, making them impractical for CQC.  I have the system roughed out in code, but got interrupted by all kinds of stuff, I'll probably have to redo it from scratch now.  Also yes, aim speed and the loss of aim/recoil would be adjusted by weapon skills.
Hmm, could cook-off be used to breach them?
You might want to recalibrate your understanding of ammo cook-off, a surprisingly simple fix that made it into 0.A stable is that:
1. regular small-arms ammo cook-off only causes shrapnel, no blast.
2. if ammo has a special effect (explosion, fireball, smoke, teargas, whatever), it now triggers that effect on cookoff.

@Steelmagic, what's your avatar from, is there a Gunslinger Girls sequel I missed?

Re: penalty to hit small creatures, the penalty we have in place now is probably out of line, but I was attacked by a dog once, they aren't remotely as easy to hit as you'd think.  Not totally applicable because a large part of that was the dog being FAST, but still, statements like "an unskilled attacker should be able to hit a dog
I don't think Jesus died from thorns being pushed into his brain. RTFA

UristMcDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10646 on: March 08, 2014, 06:12:34 pm »

What's a strange temple?

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10647 on: March 08, 2014, 06:26:34 pm »

You can find upwards of 60 mininukes in some lab finales.

Just use debug mode to bring up your archery levels if you're going to just macro it in.
I could only find the debug for 'raise all skills' not 'raise archery'.

What's a strange temple?
Go in and find out!  Explore, don't ask!

Blaze

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chaos that Crawls up on you with a Smile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10648 on: March 08, 2014, 06:30:31 pm »

Choosing the option in the debug menu to raise all skills will take you to a menu listing each individual skill.

What's a strange temple?
It's a temple that is strange. They're pink "T"s on the map.

Kaitol

• Bay Watcher
  • Heya, Red.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10649 on: March 08, 2014, 06:34:09 pm »

Grab a whip, put on a fedora, and go find out.

Or run screaming in the other direction. That works too.
Pages: 1 ... 708 709 [710] 711 712 ... 1086