Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 706 707 [708] 709 710 ... 1086

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!  (Read 1860979 times)

UristMcDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - Version 0.A "Kaufman" released!
« Reply #10605 on: March 07, 2014, 06:02:24 pm »

In light of all this melee encumbrance stuff, I hope at one point melee weapons will have the customization options of vehicles. Components like lawnmower blades, and handles like a heavy stick will add to-hit bonuses. Will probably never happen, but I can dream. :P

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10606 on: March 07, 2014, 06:05:40 pm »

I don't know about you, but I think I can hit children if I'm wearing that, whether they're on me or not.
...please cite your sources?

In light of all this melee encumbrance stuff, I hope at one point melee weapons will have the customization options of vehicles. Components like lawnmower blades, and handles like a heavy stick will add to-hit bonuses. Will probably never happen, but I can dream. :P
Have you checked out firearms lately?  They've gotten a HUGE overhaul to their mod system.  Instead of just fitting 3 mods, there's now mod slots, like my Savage111F has 4 slots for 'accessories' 1 slot for 'barrel' 1 slot for 'bore'...  It's given quite a few new options to REALLY tricking out a firearm.

Kaitol

• Bay Watcher
  • Heya, Red.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10607 on: March 07, 2014, 06:30:50 pm »

Well, I would cite my long experience of going out and bludgeoning children to death with pipes and baseball bats, but sadly that would probably lead to a lifetime stay in a maximum security correctional facility. Or a summary lynching.

These may not be shamblers, but they're also not sentient beings. They walk/jog/run? towards you in a straight line and try to bite/grab you. A lone regular zombie is not supposed to be a threat unless you're already crippled.

That would really not be that hard to hit even for someone wearing a backpack, a coat, and a vest.

Now if we're talking about something like a giant bee/mosquito, THEN you would have a very good point. I could understand an encumbered novice having an extremely hard time hitting such a small, agile target.

To be honest, I don't even know why this conversation is still ongoing, it's already been made clear that several small bugs/mismatches between old and new systems are exacerbating each other into the situation several players, myself included, complained of, and they'll doubtless be addressed.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #10608 on: March 07, 2014, 06:34:21 pm »

It's still going on because some feel that the bugs should not be fixed and their existence is justified.

I don't know about you, but I think I can hit children if I'm wearing that, whether they're on me or not.
...please cite your sources?

I don't have exact sources, but I play a lot of street fighter. ZANGIEF CHEATS.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

n9103

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam
« Reply #10609 on: March 07, 2014, 10:22:09 pm »

Thanks for bringing up the overhauld modslots on firearms, Girlinhat, as I've yet to give a shout out for how appreciated they are for me.
Props Devs.

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #10610 on: March 07, 2014, 11:52:24 pm »

The only thing I know of relevence to the size argument I vaguely know about from reading this thread is that it's a lot harder to catch a chicken in the open with your hands than with one of those fishing nets that rod and reel users have for mid sized fish. I imagine it would be much easier to hit a dodging catachicken with a melee weapon than hands, and a decent bit easier than kicking it. I suppose the catachicken would probably be fighting back instead of fleeing though which would probably make all of the above easier.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2014, 11:54:19 pm by Duuvian »
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #10611 on: March 08, 2014, 03:17:09 am »

I believe the point is, currently, that size alone somehow determines how easy it is for something to murderize you - the smaller, the easier.

Whereas it should be size and speed - a child moving in the same way as an adult is only a marginally harder target to hit, as opposed to a dog - which, although it might have a similar body size and profile, is much faster and is nature-built to run up and chomp at you.

I can understand a z-9 being deadly in melee - it's fast, small, and vicious. But regular zombified schoolchildren only have "small" - they shouldn't be just as hard to survive an encounter with.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Farce

• Bay Watcher
  • muttermutterbabble
    • View Profile
« Reply #10612 on: March 08, 2014, 03:18:52 am »

Just spawned, but I think I like this one.

(EDIT:

Hahaha, there're TWO downed choppers directly outside it, too.  Got me some army clothes for storage.  And it fits, too.  AND some scientists near that gun store... which, unfortunately, have set a manhack on me.  Hope this kevlar helps me Zui Quan it to death)
« Last Edit: March 08, 2014, 03:32:37 am by Farce »

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #10613 on: March 08, 2014, 03:22:15 am »

I believe the point is, currently, that size alone somehow determines how easy it is for something to murderize you - the smaller, the easier.

Whereas it should be size and speed - a child moving in the same way as an adult is only a marginally harder target to hit, as opposed to a dog - which, although it might have a similar body size and profile, is much faster and is nature-built to run up and chomp at you.

I can understand a z-9 being deadly in melee - it's fast, small, and vicious. But regular zombified schoolchildren only have "small" - they shouldn't be just as hard to survive an encounter with.
Actually both size and speed give bonuses to an opponent's dodge level, though at the moment the bonus from size is quite a bit larger then that of speed.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #10614 on: March 08, 2014, 09:21:11 am »

I've used the Tileset Editor to toss some of DF's tilesets into Cataclysm.

More variants and downloads here.

Taking requests for specific sets, too! The latest version of Tileset Editor isn't released yet, so you can't just toss a DF tileset into it yet.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10615 on: March 08, 2014, 09:29:27 am »

Just spawned, but I think I like this one.

(EDIT:

Hahaha, there're TWO downed choppers directly outside it, too.  Got me some army clothes for storage.  And it fits, too.  AND some scientists near that gun store... which, unfortunately, have set a manhack on me.  Hope this kevlar helps me Zui Quan it to death)
Is that... a gun store, a library, and a swimming pool?  Man, if I were well situated that would be fantastic.  Skill books, ammo, and infinite water source!

In my game I'm doing pretty good.  I found an APC with a busted engine, but have managed to remove the broken V8 and install a new Large Electric with solar panels and storage batteries over the rear wheels.

I also absolutely love the inventory changes, and the fact that the game recognizes items in nearby vehicle containers.  I have a welding rig cart with a load of tools that I just drag around as a mobile omni-tool, it's pretty fantastic.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #10616 on: March 08, 2014, 10:13:09 am »

I also absolutely love the inventory changes, and the fact that the game recognizes items in nearby vehicle containers.  I have a welding rig cart with a load of tools that I just drag around as a mobile omni-tool, it's pretty fantastic.

Pretty much a million times this. <3
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10617 on: March 08, 2014, 11:58:46 am »

I've noticed a few NPC bugs. I know NPCs are buggy, but I found a few specific ones.
Messages for special attacks, such as a grabber zombie, will imply they affect you, even when they're used on the NPC. I am not sure if the special attack actually does affect you, though. At one point, I got a massive amount of "You don't have that item." caused by an NPC a few map tiles away. I stopped the message by going over to her and shooting her to death with a SIG Pro, and now I have to horrible image of seeing some spazzing out during a zombie apocalypse and only being able to execute them heartlessly.

Pretty much a million times this. <3
Yeah, one of the annoying things from an older 0.9 experimental was that it didn't search inside vehicles for stuff.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10618 on: March 08, 2014, 12:32:57 pm »

Also worth noting, when you open an MRE, the matchbook is always empty.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10619 on: March 08, 2014, 12:34:48 pm »

Also worth noting, when you open an MRE, the matchbook is always empty.
Can an empty matchbook be used for the matchhead bomb?
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.
Pages: 1 ... 706 707 [708] 709 710 ... 1086