Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 699 700 [701] 702 703 ... 1086

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!  (Read 1860353 times)

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - Version 0.A "Kaufman" released!
« Reply #10500 on: March 06, 2014, 04:13:18 am »

Yeah, I agree with Pufferfish on the chance to hit thing in the new version, I think that needs better rescaling. It seems any melee weapon is useless against anything more mobile than a rock.

I literally cannot land a single blow on a cougar. I have to throw my water bottles at them to kill them. While hilariously entertaining, I prefer not to have every experience with a cougar be a badly torn up and bleeding torso.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #10501 on: March 06, 2014, 07:01:32 am »

Finally started on my custom tileset.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
If you haven't heard of it yet, there's a little program made to facilitate creation of tilesets here. I've recently made a pull request on its repository to make its ASCII generation function accept bitmap tilesets, like the ones Dwarf Fortress uses, so you could pretty much autogenerate an entire ASCII set in two/three clicks and then just go along and replace whichever graphics you want as you make them.

Example of what it can autogenerate now:
Spoiler: Large image (click to show/hide)
It doesn't understand multitiles like walls yet, so it's somewhat far from a pure ASCII look, but it's a great start if you're working on your own tileset.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10502 on: March 06, 2014, 07:47:21 am »

I completely forgot to post this yesterday but I found an interesting starting option for food if you spawn in the correct area. You just need the big worms nearby. Agro on and drag it to where you staying, it will till the soil for you. With that you can start a blueberry and strawberry garden since you can generally get those easily enough. Anyway back to recording tonights video.
I never find seeds. Aaaaaarrrrghhhh.

Wait, should I forage to find them?

WhitiusOpus

• Bay Watcher
  • Pro-radiation Lobbyist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10503 on: March 06, 2014, 10:08:58 am »

Yeah, I agree with Pufferfish on the chance to hit thing in the new version, I think that needs better rescaling. It seems any melee weapon is useless against anything more mobile than a rock.

Personally I've found melee really strong. Too strong. On my third or fourth attempt at the new version, after a couple of bad starts, I got an aluminium bat fairly early and was pretty much unstoppable, despite not starting with any extra strength, melee or dodge skills, or anything like that. When I upgraded that to a wood axe and started wearing an army jacket, pants and combat boots, I was literally untouchable. I'm currently at 10 melee skill and anything that doesn't go down in one swing gets stunned until it does, and the armor means that even when surrounded, I'm taking minimal damage. For reference, I didn't start with Quick, or any other traits that affect combat.

Just seems too easy. For that kind of protection, I should be wearing REAL armour, not an army jacket and some elbow pads. I don't even have above 1 encumberance in any slot.

See, it's easy to not get hit, but impossible to hit. It just needs some rebalancing. I've literally taken to using my bow at point blank, since that's the only way to hit a cougar, as they just dodge any melee attack. It needs to be fixed so that engaging in melee is a lot more dangerous, if you don't have a huge dodge skill, but very damaging and silent, as opposed to ranged damage. You should be taking a greater risk of harm and destruction of your gear in melee, while also being able to dispatch your enemies more efficiently and quietly.
Quote from: The Froggy Ninja
Young Masches: Fetch yonder blade!
Masches grabs his "sword." Navi gasps. Her aura flushes a pinkish hue and she flies out the window.

Ivefan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10504 on: March 06, 2014, 10:39:46 am »

In terms of melee the most notable thing I've encountered so far is that you can stunlock a Shoggoth while still being unable to out-damage its regeneration, which leads to the kinda hilarious experience of hitting the thing over and over while trying to maneouver into a position where you can gain ground and escape.
Bring mp3, lots of batteries and snacks, because that sounds like a good practice dummy to train melee on =P

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #10505 on: March 06, 2014, 10:49:58 am »

The combat problem might be a bad factor dealing with size (since I can hit normal sees fine). Do you have similar problems hitting dogs, squirrels, cats, rabbits, crows, or children?
« Last Edit: March 06, 2014, 10:57:18 am by i2amroy »
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10506 on: March 06, 2014, 10:51:55 am »

I have terrible problems hitting z-9's and zombie children. Typically if I don't have a firearm, a z-9 is guaranteed to kill me. Children I typically lead through caltrop fields until they (evidently) just have their legs shaved off and flop around as an angry torso until they get a caltrop through the eye.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2014, 10:53:50 am by Sean Mirrsen »

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #10507 on: March 06, 2014, 11:05:26 am »

I tend to have issues with dogs and children unless I make sure my torso encumbrance is as close to zero as I can get it, and it's a lot easier to get swarmed by dogs than anything else.  Zombears, hulks, and brutes, I'll dance toe-to-toe with them in melee.  Two or three zombie dogs (EDIT: or worse, skeletal dogs) make me find another route. 

Steelmagic

• Bay Watcher
  • Insanity makes everything fun!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10508 on: March 06, 2014, 11:16:54 am »

Children I typically lead through caltrop fields until they (evidently) just have their legs shaved off and flop around as an angry torso until they get a caltrop through the eye.
Find me one other game where this sentence is relevant.

Dogs do give me issues, though I've always been able to hit them well enough they remain the number one cause of death. Children get introduced to the warm end of my home made flammenwerfer.
When i say "I'm no expert but..." It means "I have no idea what the hell I'm talking about but I'm going to try to sound like i do."

Kaitol

• Bay Watcher
  • Heya, Red.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10509 on: March 06, 2014, 11:36:07 am »

Character died from full health and decently armored to one child zombie in a window, as I stated earlier. Even had a quite good melee weapon with an accuracy bonus.

Just the thought of a school makes me cringe in terror.

Edit: try +

Goron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10510 on: March 06, 2014, 11:56:24 am »

Character died from full health and decently armored to one child zombie in a window, as I stated earlier. Even had a quite good melee weapon with an accuracy bonus.

Just the thought of a school makes me cringe in terror.

Edit: try +
I just throw a few rocks and drop 'em like flies.
I don't even bother with weapons, much less armor. Rocks are all you need.
I carry 20 of them and I can kill two+ zombies easily with those. If needed, I just kite them around to re-pick up the rocks to continue killing should I be fighting more.
Zombie children fall pretty easily to rocks, too, as I assume they have fewer hitpoints (and I have not noticed any difficulty in hitting them).

But on another note, is there any way to designate gear to be 'in' the dufflebag I carry?
I'd love to be able to just drop the dufflebag and lose the 20 items in it rather than have to seemingly drop everything individually. I am referring to this as both an ease of use factor ([d]rop the duffle and see the 20 items go with it without having to select them individually) AND as a time factor ([d]rop the duffle, having to select the other items or not, and only use up the amount of time to drop one item (the duffle) rather than 21 items).

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10511 on: March 06, 2014, 12:25:18 pm »

Unfortunately, in that regard Cataclysm is no Dwarf Fortress. Items you wear give you storage space, and items you carry take up that storage space. Nothing as awesome as DF's inventory system, sadly. :(

On a happier note, now you can have your favorite DF tileset in Cataclysm, because I think I finished giving the Tileset Editor "instant tileset" functionality.

This is the tileset image I used (transparent-backed sets work best):

This is how it looks like after maybe five seconds of clicking through Tileset Creator:
Spoiler: Large image (click to show/hide)
Walls, cars, as far as I can tell everything that was supposed to work now works. Of course, it's still meant to be a tool to aid in creation of a proper tileset, or for padding an existing tileset's missing tiles, but it still gives some pretty good results. ^_^

edit: Here's Herrbdog's 12x12 set:
Spoiler: Large Image #2 (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: March 06, 2014, 12:32:55 pm by Sean Mirrsen »

n9103

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam
« Reply #10512 on: March 06, 2014, 12:34:36 pm »

I'm not certain, but I'm pretty sure skills go negative levels if you're too encumbered.
If you're wearing armor and in melee, and don't have 8+ melee skill, you're doing it wrong.
No encumbrance or to-hit penalties, and I have no problem with kids or dogs once I get 4+ skill.
Once I get 4+ dodge, don't even need to kite/window for 1v1.
Before I hit 4 skill, I just make sure I've got at least a +2 to hit bonus, and still no real problem.

Also, if heavily armored, I avoid weapons slower than 100 for melee in any circumstance worse than 1v2.
But generally, I avoid heavy armor in the first place. Even then, I'd rather have been lightly armored and kited, or broken out the firearms and molotovs. Hell, even the grenades and flamers if it really came down to it. (Be sure to carry 2 homemade if you're gonna carry any. The reload isn't worth it, and they're small enough to double up on.)
Heavy armor and slow weapons are a death sentence. Sure they deflect/absorb most damage, but there's always a % chance of them getting a critical critical, no matter the amount of armor. Being slow means more enemies to deal with at a time, means more rolls of that RNG.

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10513 on: March 06, 2014, 12:47:42 pm »

I'm surprised to see that a lot of you are having problems with melee.  If anything I find it easier than usual to kill zombears in melee.  Granted a lot of small critters are hard to hit but that's what thrown rocks or for.

What kind of melee weapons are you using?  I typically avoid melee until I can find a higher end weapon like a baseball bat, machete, combat knife or axe, so if you are using weaker weapons than those that might be the problem.

Also, how long does it take to get over frostbite?  My face has been frostbitten for almost a week now.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2014, 12:56:49 pm by Bouchart »

WhitiusOpus

• Bay Watcher
  • Pro-radiation Lobbyist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10514 on: March 06, 2014, 01:04:10 pm »

Children I typically lead through caltrop fields until they (evidently) just have their legs shaved off and flop around as an angry torso until they get a caltrop through the eye.

Sigged
« Last Edit: March 06, 2014, 01:08:01 pm by WhitiusOpus »
Quote from: The Froggy Ninja
Young Masches: Fetch yonder blade!
Masches grabs his "sword." Navi gasps. Her aura flushes a pinkish hue and she flies out the window.
Pages: 1 ... 699 700 [701] 702 703 ... 1086