Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 690 691 [692] 693 694 ... 1086

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!  (Read 1861206 times)

Cthulufaic

• Bay Watcher
  • whats a touhou
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - Version 0.A "Kaufman" released!
« Reply #10365 on: March 03, 2014, 11:05:59 am »

I assume that, from the thread title, this new version has more bagels?

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #10366 on: March 03, 2014, 11:06:50 am »

Is Cataclysm versioning in hex now? :P
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #10367 on: March 03, 2014, 11:14:34 am »

So much more fun than the usual "charge in, kill everything day 1" I usually do; I actually had to turn off Black Road Surrounded Spawn. ^_^
Spawn at night.  In the old .9 at least, you could also play "stair games". with a horde.
That...I actually didn't think of that at all.  I'll definitely try that when (not if) I die again. ^_^

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - Version 0.9 "Ma" released!
« Reply #10368 on: March 03, 2014, 11:16:30 am »

4 houses, hundreds zombie??
Yep, one of the reasons I like static spawn more, the population numbers seem more sensible.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Goron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - Version 0.9 "Ma" released!
« Reply #10369 on: March 03, 2014, 11:29:31 am »

Most terrifying moment had to be getting an infected torso wound, going into the city just after dusk to raid a doctor's office, trying to get the supply open, failing and setting off the alarm, and slamming the rear door open to get out only to find a shrieker zombie right on the other side. 
Is there some trick to sneaking like that?
Everytime I go anywhere urban at night it is just a matter of me hearing the zombies charge at me from far away instead of seeing them come at me. Do they see perfectly in the dark?

And even if they don't see, am I mistaken in thinking they can smell me from far away? With rare exception I feel as though the zombies will come at me no matter what if I am within one or two map spaces. I pretty much do not do a thing at night because of this, even being mindful of my noise and not using lights.
I really wish I could do night time sneak raids into town but it never works for me.
Any tips, pointers?

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #10370 on: March 03, 2014, 11:35:38 am »

In that particular case for me, it was largely dumb luck, I think; the doctor's office was right on the edge of town, so I didn't need to navigate the hordes.  I also had Light Step to reduce the sound I make (not that the alarm and shrieker helped with that - entertainment is seeing the entire area around you light up with yellow question marks) and Night Vision (which increases your sight radius in the dark from 1 to 2), which helped quite a bit.  I don't think zombies can see more than one tile by default at night, but they do hear things, and they do tend to wander around.  It can be helpful to get something noisy to put in buildings you've already emptied or that you don't intend to raid (radios, firecrackers) to draw zombies off, bring a quiet way to open doors (crowbars, lockpicks), and generally be very careful about light sources.  Other than that, I don't really have the knack for it, either. 

WhitiusOpus

• Bay Watcher
  • Pro-radiation Lobbyist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10371 on: March 03, 2014, 11:36:55 am »

So. My survivor just spent their entire torso health bar trying to hit a zombie child sitting in a broken window with a Halligan bar. I think I managed to hit the thing once.

The fuck? Even at low skill, how do you miss a zombie about fifteen times in a row when its struggling in a window? The weapon even has a to hit bonus and purportedly is a fairly good weapon. Or did the developers decide to surprise me by secretly making child zombies into Agents from the Matrix?

I HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM.

So my Survivor was in a furniture store trying to barricade down for the night, and a Z-9 breaks through the window.

No problem, I think to myself, I've got a fucking machete and 2 skill points into cutting.

Roughly 45 mins in-game later, after about 200-300 "you missed!" Messages, my guy succumbed to bleeding.

After using his 10 rags to stop it previously.
Quote from: The Froggy Ninja
Young Masches: Fetch yonder blade!
Masches grabs his "sword." Navi gasps. Her aura flushes a pinkish hue and she flies out the window.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #10372 on: March 03, 2014, 11:41:07 am »

Firecrackers thrown well make all kinds of distractions.

In the dark, and by the right terrain (i.e. a house door you can close and run through to the other side) a firecracker is awesomesauce.

Light, throw to some far away spot, wait a turn or two; flee.

EDIT:  I don't have light step, but night eye is standard for me.  Night Eye is great for sneaking by zombies at night.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2014, 11:42:46 am by pisskop »
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Goron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10373 on: March 03, 2014, 11:46:24 am »

In that particular case for me, it was largely dumb luck, I think; the doctor's office was right on the edge of town, so I didn't need to navigate the hordes.  I also had Light Step to reduce the sound I make (not that the alarm and shrieker helped with that - entertainment is seeing the entire area around you light up with yellow question marks) and Night Vision (which increases your sight radius in the dark from 1 to 2), which helped quite a bit.  I don't think zombies can see more than one tile by default at night, but they do hear things, and they do tend to wander around.  It can be helpful to get something noisy to put in buildings you've already emptied or that you don't intend to raid (radios, firecrackers) to draw zombies off, bring a quiet way to open doors (crowbars, lockpicks), and generally be very careful about light sources.  Other than that, I don't really have the knack for it, either.
(I understand you said you are no expert at night stealth, but you are apparently more knowledgable than me so bear with the questions- they are also directed toward anyone that might have answers)
So would you say light step is a must have for these purposes? I always take night vision just because it is so convenient for basements and those few times you do need to move in the dark.
I never thought to use noise to my advantage though, regarding distractions. I have seen firecrackers and such before, never used them, though. How long do they last or are they just a one shot lure?
And radios, do I just activate it in my inv then drop it, or activate it on ground? and it will presumably remain on until battery runs out? How loud are they and what range will they lure at?

I always though smell was the bigger issue and only worried about noise with regards to smashing windows or whatnot, but I figure I can mitigate my movement with light step.
That said, how big of an issue is smell? Is that smell reduction trait worth it (there is one, right?) and can I mask my smell by wearing tainted meat or anything?

Thanks.

EDIT: also is there a like 'sneak' movement mode? Increased movement cost for less noise or something?

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #10374 on: March 03, 2014, 12:09:36 pm »

It is versioning in Base Infinity. After F it will go through G through Z, then use symbols.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10375 on: March 03, 2014, 12:28:57 pm »

Why doesn't a bra have at least 1 unit of storage? I should be able to keep my smokes in there.

IronTomato

• Bay Watcher
  • VENGEANCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #10376 on: March 03, 2014, 12:33:26 pm »

Why doesn't a bra have at least 1 unit of storage? I should be able to keep my backpack in there.
FTFY

bertix

• Bay Watcher
  • Sanity is over-rated.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10377 on: March 03, 2014, 01:14:15 pm »

Why doesn't a bra have at least 1 unit of storage? I should be able to keep my smokes in there.
Careful there someone will end up having to write a random bra size generator, for both the attire and female characters/humanoid npcs, and then proceed to assign a storage value to the difference of brasize - bust, heck, how about corpulent men (this mental image is sickening).

Welp I guess I know what Ill be making in my DDA branch then.

Set phasers to tsun.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10378 on: March 03, 2014, 01:16:04 pm »

It was always versioning in Hex.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #10379 on: March 03, 2014, 01:24:36 pm »

It was always versioning in Hex.

Yeah, since the war with Eastasia begun. And we've always been at war with Eastasia.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.
Pages: 1 ... 690 691 [692] 693 694 ... 1086