Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 686 687 [688] 689 690 ... 1086

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!  (Read 1861487 times)

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - Version 0.9 "Ma" released!
« Reply #10305 on: March 02, 2014, 01:15:11 am »

My latest character's starting shelter is half a mile's walk away from a mansion. A nearly empty mansion with a massive store of mostly beginner books and canned foods. With static spawn, I think I just hit easymode.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Akhier the Dragon hearted

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #10306 on: March 02, 2014, 02:17:22 am »

You uh, you know there was an experimental available with all the latest additions, right?
   Yes I do know that. I also know that some people don't play anything but the stable versions. Because I took a bit of an unexpected break from my recording I decided to start back up when a new version hit so I can have something big to do a video about.
Join us. The crazy is at a perfect temperature today.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10307 on: March 02, 2014, 02:56:52 am »

My latest character's starting shelter is half a mile's walk away from a mansion. A nearly empty mansion with a massive store of mostly beginner books and canned foods. With static spawn, I think I just hit easymode.
Addendum: it appears that roaming wildlife is still a thing, however. I probably should have kept the front doors closed.

Was beset upon by a coyote, of all things, in my own (technically) library, while browsing books. Pulled out a broadsword and felled it in one stroke. Hey, those melee combat tips in the brochure came in handy! Also hey, some free meat!

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
« Reply #10308 on: March 02, 2014, 04:02:00 am »

You uh, you know there was an experimental available with all the latest additions, right?
   Yes I do know that. I also know that some people don't play anything but the stable versions. Because I took a bit of an unexpected break from my recording I decided to start back up when a new version hit so I can have something big to do a video about.
Humbug! The implied level of excitement mr Lukewarm was experiencing ought to have driven him to try the experimental, lest some ulterior reason was preventing him from doing so-- being a youtuber, for example.
In spite of what could be interpreted as a snide facade, I was in fact typing it in a consolatory frame of mind-- I was suggesting the experimental just in case he hadn't heard of it and, at the same time, reinforcing his own projection of nearly-obscene excitement and/or desperation by doing so.
If this were a face-to-face conversation, my own avatar would be in shock, trying to help!
Good day!
Badges of honor
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Check this shit out- (it changes)
Profile->Modify Profile->Look and Layout->Current Theme: Default [Change]->Darkling (it's good for your eyes and looks better)

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #10309 on: March 02, 2014, 04:05:04 am »

The fault is mine as I thought you where referring to my previous post asking the ETA of the stable.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
« Reply #10310 on: March 02, 2014, 04:24:43 am »

burp  :)
Badges of honor
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Profile->Modify Profile->Look and Layout->Current Theme: Default [Change]->Darkling (it's good for your eyes and looks better)

vastaghen12

• Bay Watcher
  • [BIOME_SUPPORT: ANY_COMPUTER:1]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10311 on: March 02, 2014, 04:46:41 am »

I am just dropping in to tell you guys that version 0.A is now live.

Grab it before the announcement is made! Feel awesome!

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10312 on: March 02, 2014, 04:56:49 am »

I feel so awesome.

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #10313 on: March 02, 2014, 06:00:49 am »

Speaking of version 0.A stable being live I have my video for it up now. You can see it here. I use the first bit going over the change log some and looking into a few of the options that changed then play a bit as well to see how it feels. I am using ASCII so if you want to see it with a tileset you will have to wait till I look into them and see which ones I think look best.

teoleo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10314 on: March 02, 2014, 06:11:31 am »

i have found a small village (3 house and one shop), how many zombie i have to kill to clear the zone?

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
« Reply #10315 on: March 02, 2014, 06:14:59 am »

Are you playing on dynamic spawn? If so, no idea.

If you're playing the default static spawn, what you see is what you get. No more zombies after the first clear, (though they can revive if you didn't .make.sure. They were dead.). As in Smash their corpses.
Badges of honor

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #10316 on: March 02, 2014, 08:58:08 am »

How do I disable localization? While English is not my mother tongue, I am fluent enough that it's not a problem and I find localizations rather obnoxious, so I'd rather have it off.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10317 on: March 02, 2014, 09:00:55 am »

I've had a pair of humorous occurences right now, since I started playing from scratch on another machine.

First funny moment, apparently the world generated sans any kind of shelters. I got a debug line to that effect, and was unceremoniously dumped into an open field in view of several zombies, one of which is a soldier. I am unarmed. But nearby there are some soldier corpses, and miraculously they have a weapon that matches some of the ammo they're carrying. Specifically, a 9mm USP, for a hundred 9mm rounds - 50 regular, 50 FMJ. Problem number one is the soldier zombie. Regular logic would be to nab what I can and run away - but hey, I have a gun! Screw consequences, let's kill that soldier guy and clean up the area!

Well, five dozen shots and half a mile of circular jogging later, I am still fleeing from the soldier zombie, having attracted a sizeable crowd and expended most of my ammo. Even shooting point blank, the 9mm fails to get any penetration on the armored bastard, and his health goes down in itty-bitty single digit chunks. Seeing that I can't win, I finally start running away with my meager spoils - a handful of 9mm rounds, some other apparel (a decent armored vest too), and half a town's worth of shambling hordes (I play on 150% spawn) on my tail. I pass a few traps on the way. Shotgun traps, bear traps, nail boards. Zombies trigger some of them, get damaged and keep going.

The soldier zombie steps on a nail board and dies.

._.

How do I disable localization? While English is not my mother tongue, I am fluent enough that it's not a problem and I find localizations rather obnoxious, so I'd rather have it off.
Just delete the "lang" folder. It'll default to its built-in English strings.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #10318 on: March 02, 2014, 09:27:46 am »

Thanks, although I figured it out myself eventually. I thought the game wouldn't run if I deleted the 'pl' folder, turned out it was because I switched to another tileset which I renamed, so it wouldn't load.

I got an awesome start, too. Shelter in the middle of a forest, with a log cabin to the south. Now I only need to find water and fix up some damage to the walls.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #10319 on: March 02, 2014, 11:08:30 am »

Thanks, although I figured it out myself eventually. I thought the game wouldn't run if I deleted the 'pl' folder, turned out it was because I switched to another tileset which I renamed, so it wouldn't load.

I got an awesome start, too. Shelter in the middle of a forest, with a log cabin to the south. Now I only need to find water and fix up some damage to the walls.
Lucky start there. Haven't quite gotten to Kaufman yet, I have an experimental the day before the release candidate, but I ended up with a kinda bad start on this end.The nearest town to the shelter was a mil. surplus, there was one house, a radio station and a furniture store, and all of it was on an island close to a slimepit. So I grab what I can and go west, only to run into a dead end road, so headed east and found another shelter near a bigger town. Not quite sure what's in it, but it has to be far enough from the swamp to stop spawning bugs nearby. Sadly, the shelter is by the swamp, so I do need to do a bit of clearing out in order to carve a decent shelter.
Pages: 1 ... 686 687 [688] 689 690 ... 1086