Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 668 669 [670] 671 672 ... 1086

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!  (Read 1860135 times)

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - Version 0.9 "Ma" released!
« Reply #10035 on: February 11, 2014, 09:52:23 pm »

For something to be a currency it has to be:
-Widely accepted. Almost everybody would accept that currency. That means, most of the people would find a use in it.
-Can be divided, or be small enough. For example, you can't use livestock as currency.
-Scarce. If it is too easy to get, then nobody would accept it. (think of the ridiculous abundace of meat in game)
-Non-perishable. It has to have the potential to be stocked.

So, other posible currencies that I have thought:

-Salt (it has been used IRL). Can be used to preserve food. That's something that even end-game characters would need to use.
-Batteries. The problem with this is that end-game characters wouldn't find any use in them.
-Bones. Useful for crafting and making broth.
-Cooking oil. Mostly the same reasons as above.
-Gasoline. The problem with this is that a sudden discovery of a gas station wold cause a lot of inflation.
To be fair, though, inflation was a thing with most currencies, even if we might like to think that what we've learned about economics will stick with us through the Cataclysm.  Leaving aside inflation, gasoline might be a bit too bulky, and bones a bit too common, though; execute animals or zombies and grab their bones.  Salt does remind me that spice (especially pepper) might also be another possibility, though - not essential, thus reducing the need to hoard, but highly valued for its ability to add flavour to otherwise bland, gamey, and/or occasionally nearly-rotten food.  It was only a few short centuries ago that a single shipload of pepper sufficed to pay back the backers of Magellan's five-ship expedition that left three years before, and with the world gone to pot, things like pepper and coffee are now cut off from replacement as far as New England is concerned.  It might be a bit too scarce, though: a currency that's too scarce simply won't be used by most people since they can't obtain it in the first place.

I like ammunition (which could even have exchange rates based on what gun calibers the local area has in plenty), but I don't think a real singular currency will evolve in the near term - I think that until society finds a stable footing, the economy will remain on a direct barter system, and once a society or multiple societies find stable foundations for recovery, they'll try to create currencies that scavengers can't supplant or undermine (thereby also enhancing their own power over those scavengers).  Basically, coinage, either of precious metals, iron, steel, or copper.  Possibly even aluminum, though that's probably too ductile; it may be quite common today, but until they can get some large power plants up and running, the Hall-Héroult process is going to cost a prohibitive amount of energy if they want to make more.  There's a thought - a Mad Max-style society that goes around and confiscates pop and beer cans for the good of the state and to avoid debasing its currency.  Recycle or die, indeed.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2014, 09:54:33 pm by Culise »

Akhier the Dragon hearted

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #10036 on: February 11, 2014, 10:31:34 pm »

Wouldn't really be possible in this situation but I like how the orcs in Warhammer 40k do it. Their own teeth are their currency. Because they slowly deteriorate and orcs regrow their teeth the amount is stable and even the brokest orc can afford food. It is quite an interesting solution to their need for money.
Join us. The crazy is at a perfect temperature today.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #10037 on: February 11, 2014, 10:34:03 pm »

So hey, what's going on?

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #10038 on: February 11, 2014, 10:45:35 pm »

I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #10039 on: February 11, 2014, 11:27:20 pm »

You dick. :P Any new features?

n9103

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam
« Reply #10040 on: February 11, 2014, 11:32:29 pm »

Lots.
The github has the changelog.
No new stable/multiplatform release yet however.

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #10041 on: February 11, 2014, 11:47:10 pm »

I'm looking at the github but can't see anything that big. You got a link to the changelog?

Blaze

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chaos that Crawls up on you with a Smile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10042 on: February 11, 2014, 11:53:59 pm »

Try checking the commit list.

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #10043 on: February 11, 2014, 11:55:29 pm »

Thank you good sir!

joemoben

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10044 on: February 12, 2014, 09:22:44 am »

So anyone have any thoughts on how to clear up the 100~ or so butchered bodies of my enemies outside my base? Getting a little bit tired of all of them. On another note, this is my first character after years of playing that finally got off the ground well. Normally I'll just get bored and end up trying to beat a hulk to death with my bow, but this one is going well. Now if only I could find a car... Also, hacksaws are the bane of my existence. After maybe 5 hours of real time playing I found one in a mansion on a common zombie. I promptly burned most of my other tools in the mansion by being dumb, so that's a thing I suppose.
Something about this game makes me wonder why God lets it exist.
Say, if you give birth on a ranch and then murder your baby will a corpse drop be guaranteed?

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #10045 on: February 12, 2014, 09:24:25 am »

Hacksaws like to hang out in hardware stores and garages.  And random houses, for some reason.

As far as the butchered remains, Grab a desk, cupboard, locker, w.e. with internal storage and drag it about.  As you roll over giblits they should enter the object.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2014, 09:25:56 am by pisskop »
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10046 on: February 12, 2014, 10:36:34 am »

So anyone have any thoughts on how to clear up the 100~ or so butchered bodies of my enemies outside my base? Getting a little bit tired of all of them. On another note, this is my first character after years of playing that finally got off the ground well. Normally I'll just get bored and end up trying to beat a hulk to death with my bow, but this one is going well. Now if only I could find a car... Also, hacksaws are the bane of my existence. After maybe 5 hours of real time playing I found one in a mansion on a common zombie. I promptly burned most of my other tools in the mansion by being dumb, so that's a thing I suppose.

Collect them, drop a few two by fours in the space with them, then light them on fire. Since the tainted meat will rot, you could just wait, won't do anything about their clothes though.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10047 on: February 12, 2014, 11:05:29 am »

In my experience they need to be butchered first before they will rot into nonexistence. Pulped corpses will just sit there forever and slowly turn into a carpet. 
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10048 on: February 12, 2014, 11:18:05 am »

I just throw all the rotten or tainted meat into my fireplace.

Akhier the Dragon hearted

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #10049 on: February 12, 2014, 12:35:26 pm »

I advise using a locker or something similar. You can drag them around and they pick up stuff that they are dragged over. Once you have all the corpses picked up in it you can take a final look to see if you want anything there and if not dump it all on the ground and light it up with something. If you used a wooden to pick them up you can probably just light the whole thing up without bothering to dumping the stuff on the ground.
Join us. The crazy is at a perfect temperature today.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.
Pages: 1 ... 668 669 [670] 671 672 ... 1086