Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 655 656 [657] 658 659 ... 1086

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!  (Read 1860030 times)

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - Version 0.9 "Ma" released!
« Reply #9840 on: January 24, 2014, 07:28:52 pm »

I have only seen them while debug teleporting around to test out tilesets. They are quite rare or I am quite unlucky.

They are rare. They do, after all, give mutations.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9841 on: January 24, 2014, 10:47:43 pm »

I love the MBR vests. Not to wear... they're way too encumbering for normal use, but you can chop them up into like 24 kevlar plates. So much easier than finding other sources of kevlar.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

Ivefan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9842 on: January 25, 2014, 02:55:22 pm »

Haven't played for some time now and tried static spawn. Except for the grace period, it seem easier? I blew up a gas station and burned down some houses but no horde came along.
Does this option simply just generate zombies once and then there is no more?
How does the shift+v priority thing work? I managed to crash the game twice and I didnt notice any change in the list.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #9843 on: January 25, 2014, 02:59:19 pm »

Haven't played for some time now and tried static spawn. Except for the grace period, it seem easier? I blew up a gas station and burned down some houses but no horde came along.
How does the shift+v priority thing work? I managed to crash the game twice and I didnt notice any change in the list.

The difference is, Dynamic spawn no human zombies for the first half an hour, then spawns new ones continuously based on stuff like noise level, Static generates human zombies at the very beginning and no more are spawned in the area. If there were no zombies in the vicinity of the places you burned down, you attracted none.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Ivefan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9844 on: January 25, 2014, 03:08:42 pm »

Right, so noise is a minor factor i static spawn then. Unless there actually is a horde around the corner.
No changes to the noise attraction in this mode then? I seem to recall that using loud guns spawned lots of zombies so couldn't the sound travel further in static mode?

Also, there is still no simple way to unload ammo or transfer liquids?

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #9845 on: January 25, 2014, 03:12:18 pm »

The difference is, Dynamic spawn no human zombies for the first half an hour, then spawns new ones continuously based on stuff like noise level, Static generates human zombies at the very beginning and no more are spawned in the area. If there were no zombies in the vicinity of the places you burned down, you attracted none.
Effectively, Static Spawn is like Dwarf Fortress. You only get what is there to be had. Whereas the standard mode is like a JRPG, getting you encounters constantly regardless of how many you kill.

Right, so noise is a minor factor i static spawn then. Unless there actually is a horde around the corner.
No changes to the noise attraction in this mode then? I seem to recall that using loud guns spawned lots of zombies so couldn't the sound travel further in static mode?

Also, there is still no simple way to unload ammo or transfer liquids?
You can unload ammo easily and unloading liquid from a container asks for a container to put the liquid into if you have one.

And louder noise definitely travels further. Exploding a boomer with a rocket launcher sent a small horde my way from a nearby town.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Ivefan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9846 on: January 25, 2014, 03:20:37 pm »

You can unload ammo easily and unloading liquid from a container asks for a container to put the liquid into if you have one.

And louder noise definitely travels further. Exploding a boomer with a rocket launcher sent a small horde my way from a nearby town.
I was thinking of the times, for example, when I raided an electronics store and want to unload all the batteries, or when i went and filled gallon jugs with alcohol in a liquor store.
Theres a lot of repetitive button pressing, whether i wield & unload or go through the inventory screen and unload.

The gas station i blew up is near the center of a size 6 town and nothing came along.

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
« Reply #9847 on: January 25, 2014, 11:59:14 pm »

If you already cleared it then no, nothing will come. Sean's 'nearby town' had to have been within 60 squares, as that's the edge of the reality bubble.

They've been wanting to add in roaming hordes, but AFAIK it's not been implemented yet.
Badges of honor
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Check this shit out- (it changes)
Profile->Modify Profile->Look and Layout->Current Theme: Default [Change]->Darkling (it's good for your eyes and looks better)

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9848 on: January 26, 2014, 12:14:50 am »

If you already cleared it then no, nothing will come. Sean's 'nearby town' had to have been within 60 squares, as that's the edge of the reality bubble.

They've been wanting to add in roaming hordes, but AFAIK it's not been implemented yet.
Yeah, it was literally "nearby", but far enough offscreen for the sudden zombies to come as a surprise. It was like an avalanche. I defeated the first wave with another rocket launcher (I stumbled on a bundle of single-use LAWs), which caused an even bigger wave to come, since I maneuvered closer to the town in my efforts to get the zombies to bunch up for the shot.

Exploding something in the middle of the town should definitely have caused a bit of an incursion if there were any zombies around, but perhaps they don't react to sounds not made by you specifically? I.e. if you set fire to a gas station and it exploded, the noise is there but it's general destruction noise. Zombies don't chase after sounds made by other zombies, after all. You would have had to make some noise yourself to cause them to come - if there were any, of course.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."

Rez

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9849 on: January 26, 2014, 12:44:11 am »

All LAW's are single-use.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9850 on: January 26, 2014, 01:32:33 am »

All LAW's are single-use.
I know that. And you know that. :)

I prefer to leave no ambiguity sometimes. Some people might not know what a LAW is. Or confuse them with those things you never pay attention to. :P

Lukewarm

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps, if you ask nicely.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9851 on: January 26, 2014, 02:17:38 am »

I've only ever used LAWs on rift beings and, heaven forbid, spiders.
Mainly spiders.

Ivefan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9852 on: January 26, 2014, 02:38:36 am »

Exploding something in the middle of the town should definitely have caused a bit of an incursion if there were any zombies around, but perhaps they don't react to sounds not made by you specifically?
Possibly. Though a smoker was attracted to a bunch of zombies bashing on a fence. I just thought I recalled that a burning building attracted the horde, but that was some time ago.

Onto cars. What is the difference between the different sized wheels? except for the wide variant not triggering mines.
Any point in making a mobile home with electric engines or are they too weak? If so, can I stack the panels and batteries in a single tile?

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #9853 on: January 26, 2014, 02:48:49 am »

Summer ended (started summer 1/18) with me murdering my evac shelter mate.  I had based up a public works (on dynamic, static is harder in tge start, but less fun when its done), and gotten myself a sweet automagnum/ak47 and plenty of ammo.  Of 130 kills, 12 zeds, 7 of them bears.  anywho, safe setup, popping shots at wolves and rats and wasps and such, when I put up a bulletin board and thought Id check its functionality out.  Tgat shit stole my ak!  so I left a couple zombear corpses in the room with him.  punk.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Akhier the Dragon hearted

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #9854 on: January 26, 2014, 02:55:40 am »

"Why look here! I got you some nice bear rugs. I hope you enjoy them and if they seem to move just ignore that, its probably the wind."
Join us. The crazy is at a perfect temperature today.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.
Pages: 1 ... 655 656 [657] 658 659 ... 1086