Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 644 645 [646] 647 648 ... 1086

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!  (Read 1861111 times)

wer6

• Bay Watcher
  • SCOUT DOESNT WANNA GIVE A KISS
    • View Profile
    • Pirate baaaayyyy!~
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - Version 0.9 "Ma" released!
« Reply #9675 on: January 13, 2014, 06:53:28 pm »

Or trade/blow your face off for loot.
Just before leaving, Psysquid quickly summons a Burrito in his mouth.

Eagle

• Bay Watcher
  • [LARGE_ROAMING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9676 on: January 14, 2014, 01:05:31 pm »

So I've been playing the experimental build, with black road, city size 4 (sometimes 5 or 6, anything above that just feels too cluttered), spawnrate 2.5 and item rate at .5. Surviving is tough, but fun.

I've run into a really weird thing though; sometimes after loading (other times for no reason at all), my character flashes red as if hurt and the game locks up. Only way to stop this is to forcequit and reload and attempt to do something different in hopes it doesnt happen again. The one time I let it run fully (by alt tabbing and waiting about 10ish minutes) I instantly died via zombies somehow attacking me from several screens away several dozen times in under a single turn.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9677 on: January 14, 2014, 01:14:49 pm »

I've seen that too, but it's been awhile since it's happened, and I have no idea what causes it.

EDIT: Not the dying to long-range zombies though. I kinda glossed over that part.

Smart move, hiding your basement full of guns under your bed. It'd be cool if you occasionally found NPCs in basements and LMOE shelters, hiding out until "this all blows over".

If they are gun nuts they'll probably just shoot you in the face.
I imagine they would, yes.
Or trade/blow your face off for loot.
On the plus side, if they miss, free guns. One or two might be slightly used.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #9678 on: January 14, 2014, 02:06:57 pm »

I keep getting
: error while loading shared libraries: liblua5.1.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
despite the fact that I already apt-get installed liblua5.1 :(

In case anyone gets the same problem:

The solution is sudo apt-get install liblua5.1-0:i386.  The reason why regular liblua doesn't work is that you're under 64 bits.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #9679 on: January 15, 2014, 01:55:53 am »

So what's new in the experimental?

Eclectic Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • Vinum Sabbathi
    • View Profile
« Reply #9680 on: January 15, 2014, 09:12:57 am »

More bugs and imbalances.
Black chant mirrors the song of the stars
Open the abyss dreamt from afar
Abominations drawn to our dimension
Feed black desires, aid human ascension

IronTomato

• Bay Watcher
  • VENGEANCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #9681 on: January 15, 2014, 09:15:33 am »

*IT looks at EW suspiciously.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9682 on: January 15, 2014, 11:54:37 am »

Besides the obvious.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #9683 on: January 15, 2014, 12:36:20 pm »

Reading back on his posts... I believe the Foe has disguised himself.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #9684 on: January 15, 2014, 12:37:16 pm »

Well, I never played the stable release, but glancing over the change logs on the repository (linked here for simplicity), fixes to other bugs, UI tweaks (some minor, some major), some tools being allowed for new uses (circular saws for vehicle disassembly, f'rex), mutation tweaks and additions, recipe tweaks, and somewhat recently, the first steps towards improved mod compatibility. 

EDIT: I also had the most lovely start.  Black Road, 250% enemy spawn rates, survivor.  Just barely got out of the shelter before it was overrun (and it even started with two zombies already inside the shelter, which gave me quite a start), but the dogs got themselves tangled up in the horde and I outpaced them, leaving only the tough zombies and a brute - child's play by comparison, since I managed to grab a pipe before clearing out.  I took a look at the map to find a base of operations, and I spawned next to a school, a mansion, and a distant sewage treatment plant, along with a military bunker (with convenient spawn of dead soldiers nearby carrying three IDs) and a river.  Walking to the treatment plant, I found two working cars that only need gas and a new battery.  Sometimes, you just live well.  Sometimes, well, you just live.  ^_^
« Last Edit: January 15, 2014, 12:43:35 pm by Culise »

The Darkling Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Arf!
    • View Profile
    • Cataclysm - Dark Days Ahead
« Reply #9685 on: January 16, 2014, 03:45:57 pm »

The point of the version numbering was to make it easier for people to report bugs, I used to not bother with them and just use the date of the release post.
My cabbages!
[Thunderfury, Blessed Blade of the Windseeker]

I am fat, eating is my great joy.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #9686 on: January 16, 2014, 06:06:52 pm »

The point of the version numbering was to make it easier for people to report bugs, I used to not bother with them and just use the date of the release post.
Yeah, that strikes me as a pretty sensible way to go on a sandbox game like this. It could conceivably keep getting features for years, after all. I can understand a more concise number being used as a convenience thing though.
Yeah when you are going through several versions every day it's much easier to bugfix if you can know exactly what version people are using, especially when people might be using all different versions.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9687 on: January 16, 2014, 06:47:13 pm »

It should also be noted that the full version number is something like

0.9.a3213.asd8h3
or something.

n9103

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam
« Reply #9688 on: January 16, 2014, 08:52:40 pm »

And that we're posting on a forum of a game using a version numbering system that is far afield of anything normal. :p

azmodean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9689 on: January 16, 2014, 09:21:14 pm »

Reading back on his posts... I believe the Foe has disguised himself.
Nah, his posts are well-written, show humility, and aren't particularly rant-y.  People *can* legitimately dislike the game.

Btw, a real problem with 0.9 -> 0.10 in particular is that it messes up lexigraphical ordering of the versions, so if you sort them 0.10 comes before 0.2.  Next version is 0.A.  If it weren't for the likelyhood of it messing up git or something, I'd love to eventually have a version 0.@, but that has too high a risk of breaking something.

I think I fixed the super fast monsters/lockup bug last night, creatures weren't being initialized properly, and veeeery occasionally one would spawn with thousands or millions of move points.  Even more rarely the player would ^_^
I don't think Jesus died from thorns being pushed into his brain. RTFA
Pages: 1 ... 644 645 [646] 647 648 ... 1086