Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 618 619 [620] 621 622 ... 1086

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!  (Read 1859617 times)

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - Version 0.9 "Ma" released!
« Reply #9285 on: December 10, 2013, 05:43:41 pm »

That's a lot of bear wang you've been slapped with.

It's not just bears, it's literally everything except for human zombies, zombies are pretty much standard as far as quantity and OBF ('OH, BULLSHIT!' Factor) goes.

You should NOT be getting zombears with new characters - they shouldn't even start spawning until at least two weeks into the game, and the same for dogs. It's worth reporting as a bug - something may have gone wonky with the date logic or the spawn tables or both.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #9286 on: December 10, 2013, 05:47:49 pm »

That's a lot of bear wang you've been slapped with.

It's not just bears, it's literally everything except for human zombies, zombies are pretty much standard as far as quantity and OBF ('OH, BULLSHIT!' Factor) goes.

You should NOT be getting zombears with new characters - they shouldn't even start spawning until at least two weeks into the game, and the same for dogs. It's worth reporting as a bug - something may have gone wonky with the date logic or the spawn tables or both.

They most definitely did not appear first later than the second day. I've been seeing them right at the spawn.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9287 on: December 10, 2013, 06:01:29 pm »

Is this with a newly generated world, or are you spawning in a world you've already been playing in? That's the only thing I can think of.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

n9103

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam
« Reply #9288 on: December 10, 2013, 06:07:40 pm »

I've had Zombears straight out of the shelter on a new world.
Not the most pleasant thing to deal with. Luckily that was a Brutish character, and he managed to put it down with the pipe from a smashed locker and a broken window.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #9289 on: December 10, 2013, 06:10:26 pm »

Is this with a newly generated world, or are you spawning in a world you've already been playing in? That's the only thing I can think of.

Newly genned. I downloaded the newest Experimental literally 4 hours ago. After the initial fuckup, I deleted the world and made a new one. Same deal.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9290 on: December 10, 2013, 06:12:24 pm »

Same, seen all types spawn immediately.  Thought this was intentional.  Static spawn.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #9291 on: December 10, 2013, 08:04:40 pm »

Agreed.

Same, seen all types spawn immediately.  Thought this was intentional.  Static spawn.
The spawn density pertains only to those which are affected by the dynamic/static spawn option, right? Wildlife//swamp creatures are currently 'infinite' and don't seem to follow the spawn density...or did I miss a note there? O_o

-snip-
Probably unrelated, but I'm unsure where to put this: I've done some testing with unarmed combat and mutations alongside it (ie lycanthrope-ish character) and...
The 'Fangs' mutation develops 'Piercing weapons' skill while every other develops its respective unarmed combat skill (claws affects unarmed combat), and if you have the Fangs mutation, it is seemingly used alongside every unarmed attack with a set amount of skill invested into it (P. Weapon: 3, Unarmed: 5 for me, and my character biting everything I attack is...strange. I'm sinking my fangs into all them zombies that it deals a lot of damage combined).

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9292 on: December 10, 2013, 09:26:13 pm »

Random question: is there a way to re-fold an unfolded folding bicycle short of disassembling it and rebuild it?

Edit: strike that, turning it into a bike turns the foot crank into foot pedals.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2013, 09:28:23 pm by Grendus »
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #9293 on: December 10, 2013, 09:28:40 pm »

Use the vehicle interact key (^ by default IIRC) while standing next to the bike and fold it up that way.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

woose1

• Bay Watcher
  • Yay for bandwagons!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9294 on: December 11, 2013, 04:29:06 am »

With several mutations and bionics at 16 strength and 15 dex, my newest character has become a close combat BEAST. I two-shot zombie hulks and I usually one-shot
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
The firebrand is fucking awesome btw. Hordes of regular and even special zombies have become little more than minor nuisances. I laugh at the murderous wildlife and eat zombears for breakfast. Currently trying to find either intelligence boosting mutations and bionics or find a
so I can take on the

In fact, the only reason I move my RV nowadays is to get away from the literal MOUNTAINS of dog and cougar corpses that tend to pile up. The spawning mechanisms still seem to be a bit wonky.

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
« Reply #9295 on: December 11, 2013, 09:23:04 am »

In the absense of humans, wildlife will repopulate VERY quickly and become predominant.  However, since orange juice is still good when you start the game, it's assumed this is about 8 hours after the fall of mankind, so not sure how fast bears breed, but...

IIRC it's more like 1-3 weeks. You're coming out of the shelter after the military has declared the Northeast lost & pulled out. The worst bits of the cataclysm are over, (for now), and as far as rationalizing orange juice: perhaps power didn't go out immediately.

Yar, I've noticed a lot of zombears, but I didn't really mind as we have cheese to deal with it, and it strokes nostalgia for bathroom moose & the carp phenomenon. Provides a nice 'uh oh' for newish characters- have to pull out the backup weapons. Saw one slog through FIVE BEARTRAPS once.

Also: pah, whoever doesn't start with black road&static NPC is a sissy.
Badges of honor
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Check this shit out- (it changes)
Profile->Modify Profile->Look and Layout->Current Theme: Default [Change]->Darkling (it's good for your eyes and looks better)

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #9296 on: December 11, 2013, 09:24:35 am »

Fucking HATE Black Road.

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
« Reply #9297 on: December 11, 2013, 09:35:25 am »

But it's FUN! The static NPC is the key- they stand & fight, you vamoose & come back for their stuff (if you can escape/deal with the ones that chase you). Great narrative too, (though I've heard the newest versions might have starting scenarios???).
Badges of honor
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Profile->Modify Profile->Look and Layout->Current Theme: Default [Change]->Darkling (it's good for your eyes and looks better)

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #9298 on: December 11, 2013, 10:19:35 am »

In the absense of humans, wildlife will repopulate VERY quickly and become predominant.  However, since orange juice is still good when you start the game, it's assumed this is about 8 hours after the fall of mankind, so not sure how fast bears breed, but...

IIRC it's more like 1-3 weeks. You're coming out of the shelter after the military has declared the Northeast lost & pulled out. The worst bits of the cataclysm are over, (for now), and as far as rationalizing orange juice: perhaps power didn't go out immediately.

Yar, I've noticed a lot of zombears, but I didn't really mind as we have cheese to deal with it, and it strokes nostalgia for bathroom moose & the carp phenomenon. Provides a nice 'uh oh' for newish characters- have to pull out the backup weapons. Saw one slog through FIVE BEARTRAPS once.

Also: pah, whoever doesn't start with black road&static NPC is a sissy.

I've lived through bathroom moose. Bathroom moose wasn't as bullshit as zombears galore. And even if they weren't less annoying, there's a reason why those were removed - namely because the game being a dick is not fun, it's just the game being a dick. Juggling chainsaws is a challenge, juggling chainsaws while someone decides to randomly shoot you is frustrating.

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
« Reply #9299 on: December 11, 2013, 10:31:57 am »

Oh, juggling chainsaws gets boring though. Without people trying to shoot you, where's the fun?
Badges of honor
Pages: 1 ... 618 619 [620] 621 622 ... 1086