Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 604 605 [606] 607 608 ... 1086

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!  (Read 1860289 times)

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - Version 0.9 "Ma" released!
« Reply #9075 on: November 18, 2013, 12:50:42 pm »

If anyone's interested, I did an overhaul of professions:
https://raw.github.com/GlyphGryph/Cataclysm-DDA/professions_changes/data/json/professions.json

Would appreciate people trying it out and telling me what they think.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #9076 on: November 18, 2013, 01:06:35 pm »

https://raw.github.com/GlyphGryph/Cataclysm-DDA/professions_changes/data/json/professions.json

Quite cool, I like that the profession gives way more skill if it is focused on it (i.e. Chef gets 4 cooking), and that Bow Hunter gets an actual bow at the beginning.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9077 on: November 18, 2013, 01:19:00 pm »

Ideas for other bionic related professions.

Bionic Handyman: Having scrimped and saved for years, you had just gotten an Integrated Toolset installed before the cataclysm struck. Sadly, you lack any sort of power supply, but perhaps those electric zombies could help.  Starts with: Integrated toolset, some construction related clothes, but not extra storage. Costs maybe 2-3 points.

Bionic Hoodlum: Your buddies managed to knock over a Bionic shipping truck, and you snaggeg yourself a nifty little firestarter/finger laser and a power supply that runs off booze. Perfect for lighting things on fire. Starts with: Hoodie, Either the firestarter or finger laser, ethanol burner, and a small amount of power.

Bionic Soldier: A secret military project gave you adamantium claws and medical nanomachines, right before the cataclysm struck and you escaped. Now, you just hope you can keep walking long enough to use them. Starts with:Adamantium claws, Repair Nanites, Joint Torsion ratchet. Costs 4-5 points.

Bionic Sunbather: You always enjoyed sunbathing, so you made the most of it. Internal climate controls and a facial distorter to always look your best, powered by the sun. You just wonder if the zombies will notice your lovely tan. Starts with, Bathing suit, Internal Climate controls, Facial Distorter, Solar Panels.

Also, stealth edit. Yes. It makes the professions quite nice and usable. Makes it possible to start with really high skills in some things without having to spend excessive points.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9078 on: November 18, 2013, 02:20:25 pm »

Hmm. The only one that jumps out at me as needing a rethink is Tailor. Tailoring is probably the most powerful skill in the game - it lets you maintain and reinforce your existing armor, fit and repair armor you found from zombies, and craft up to the second best armor in the game (the first being power armor, which is... mechanics and electronics I think). When you consider that the starting shelter has 8 windows, each of which is basically 40 rags and 300 thread after you cut up the sheets and disassemble the string, you're looking at 320 rags and 2400 thread worth of armor before you even have to approach the city. Tailoring 4 also is high enough to repair shredded armor reliably, so anything you didn't have the materials to craft (like leather armor pieces) can be safely gathered, fitted, and repaired in town without risk.

Maybe drop the sewing kit and increase the cost to 2 points. Or leave the sewing kit and raise it to 3/4.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9079 on: November 18, 2013, 02:24:19 pm »

But it /also/ means you don't start with a knife OR matches. So yeah you are in good shape for building some sweet armor and clothing... and not so much for basically everything else. And you can't eat clothes.

I might drop the amount of tailoring skill you start with to 3, though, I suppose. But I'd like someone to actually play it and confirm it's actually OP, because it didn't feel that when I tried it out, honestly.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2013, 02:26:07 pm by GlyphGryph »

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9080 on: November 18, 2013, 02:38:57 pm »

Hmm... I didn't notice the lack of a knife. I'm away from the computer I play Cata on at the moment, but I can't think of any cutting tools that you can craft from the starting resources so it probably does solve that issue. I suppose if you started with survivors turned on and managed to kill the other guy in the shelter it could be an issue, otherwise I think the lack of a knife fixes a lot of the problem. I kind of assumed you started with a pocket knife, since every profession to date has had one. My bad.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9081 on: November 18, 2013, 03:08:29 pm »

Hmm... I didn't notice the lack of a knife. I'm away from the computer I play Cata on at the moment, but I can't think of any cutting tools that you can craft from the starting resources so it probably does solve that issue. I suppose if you started with survivors turned on and managed to kill the other guy in the shelter it could be an issue, otherwise I think the lack of a knife fixes a lot of the problem. I kind of assumed you started with a pocket knife, since every profession to date has had one. My bad.
Shower survivor doesn't have one either. I mean... where would thon keep it?
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9082 on: November 18, 2013, 03:17:11 pm »

you can make makeshift knives from scrap, I think...
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

n9103

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam
« Reply #9083 on: November 18, 2013, 03:20:29 pm »

Shower survivor doesn't have one either. I mean... where would thon keep it?
You don't want to know.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9084 on: November 18, 2013, 03:23:18 pm »

For a while they HAD those. Kinda annoying.

I wish we could wear towels as well...
Highly Opinionated Fool

n9103

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam
« Reply #9085 on: November 18, 2013, 03:27:47 pm »

Aren't sheets already wearable?
Towels should be the tiniest of steps away from that.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9086 on: November 18, 2013, 03:29:13 pm »

Dunno, but I would find it awesome to have a showervicto with a towel or two.
Highly Opinionated Fool

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9087 on: November 18, 2013, 04:05:55 pm »

you can make makeshift knives from scrap, I think...

Requires a rag, which requires a knife. Given that Bone Needle has been reduced to Survival 1, you're actually better off starting as bow hunter, stepping outside and shooting a few defenseless woodland animals, crafting a bone needle and loading it with disassembled strings. At one point, it's a decent decision for starting with 4 tailoring. You just need to find something sharp.

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% less in-jokes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9088 on: November 18, 2013, 04:53:59 pm »

Infrared vision...

Not a good buster of the smokers.

The thick smoke completely obscures vision with black squares, not #s, so that means infra red vision is useless for that.

Anyway, it was however fun to watch the chaos of a thousand zombies pile onto my test world character after a few bursts of an AK-47

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9089 on: November 18, 2013, 05:46:27 pm »

Overpowered Halloween professions vs Black Road Max spawn rate. Who would win?
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.
Pages: 1 ... 604 605 [606] 607 608 ... 1086