Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 597 598 [599] 600 601 ... 1086

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!  (Read 1860433 times)

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - Version 0.9 "Ma" released!
« Reply #8970 on: November 15, 2013, 04:35:03 am »

The crash with the window clearing happens on all windows builds including the experimental.

Heh.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8971 on: November 15, 2013, 04:41:09 am »

So uh, when I try to clear a window with the stable 0.9 version the game crashes...

Edit: More specifically when I *h if I am next to a broken window the game crashes and the logs says nothing. If I try it without a broken window next to me the game is fine but the second a broken window is next to me as soon as I choose the option the game crashes. Going to reDL and try it some more.

I can confirm this. I *->h while away from a window and all works fine. But as soon as I press h next to a window the console closes.

GalenEvil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Mac-Man Games
« Reply #8972 on: November 15, 2013, 05:32:35 am »

To any and all experiencing the *h window clearing crash on Windows builds, thank-you for reporting. Hopefully we will have a fix for this applied soon (within the next day or so). Until then please either refrain from intentionally reproducing the bug or make sure you save before hand in the case that it is not a 100% always duplicatable reaction. Also, if there is not an issue already reported please report. If there is please add to it and report the circumstances that you encountered this bug in the original issue report. Keeping like reports together will help us focus on the cause and not just the symptoms of the issue report(s).

Thank-you everyone that plays Cataclysm and reports issues. YOU help keep the number of bugs as low as possible.
Fun is Fun......Done is Done... or is that Done is !!FUN!!?
Quote from: Mr Frog
Digging's a lot like surgery, see -- you grab the sharp thing and then drive the sharp end of the sharp thing in as hard as you can and then stuff goes flying and then stuff falls out and then there's a big hole and you're done. I kinda wish there was more screaming, but rocks don't hurt so I guess it can't be helped.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #8973 on: November 15, 2013, 05:57:15 am »

Do you have a bug tracker on github or something?

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8974 on: November 15, 2013, 08:51:02 am »

I can confirm that the window clearing crash DOES NOT happen on Linux.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

Eclectic Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • Vinum Sabbathi
    • View Profile
« Reply #8975 on: November 15, 2013, 09:14:13 am »

Huh? Imma try on Cygwin if that makes a difference
Black chant mirrors the song of the stars
Open the abyss dreamt from afar
Abominations drawn to our dimension
Feed black desires, aid human ascension

FritzPL

• Bay Watcher
  • Changing avatar text since 2013
    • View Profile
« Reply #8976 on: November 15, 2013, 09:46:37 am »

NPCs glitching through the floor in the shelter and appearing in the basement as well as on base level.

guessingo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8977 on: November 15, 2013, 10:59:34 am »

NPCs have been disabled for months by default. they dont work.

azmodean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8978 on: November 15, 2013, 12:19:41 pm »

Turns out the construction menu crash is a bug in mingw that we triggered by changing the optimization level of the build.  Here's the windows builds with the optimization backed off:
GDI:
http://ci.narc.ro/job/Cataclysm-Matrix/28/Graphics=Curses,Platform=Windows/artifact/cataclysmdda-0.9.zip
SDL:
http://ci.narc.ro/job/Cataclysm-Matrix/28/Graphics=Tiles,Platform=Windows/artifact/cataclysmdda-0.9.zip

Sorry for the inconvinience.

We didn't catch this one because 1. most of us dev on linux and 2. the bug is actually in the build system, and everyone builds locally, so it's only reproducable if you download your builds instead of making them yourself.

We spent a really, really long time hunting down bugs, so of COURSE something totally random like this crops up >_<

Akhier: Hah, I hadn't considered just how useful the World Factory would be to people doing LPs, glad to hear you like it.

RE: new weapons.  There are an ABSURD number of new weapons, mostly added by Rivet, who is a modding maniac.  There are several groups of high-performance but very rare caseless firearms, lots of exotic melee weapons, new tools, and lots of armor types, particularly very "survivorish" ones.  Also, LAWN DARTS!!!
I don't think Jesus died from thorns being pushed into his brain. RTFA

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8979 on: November 15, 2013, 12:28:05 pm »

Did the entire problem of "nothing ever stops you from performing certain long actions until you die" ever get resolved?  Last time I played I accidentally stood nearby a fire until I died.  The game isn't worth playing when any given attempt to craft, read, or simply wait for the rain to end can kill you.

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8980 on: November 15, 2013, 12:31:45 pm »

So I'm curious - static spawn vs dynamic, is it the same number of zombies or does static spawn spawn less?
Did the entire problem of "nothing ever stops you from performing certain long actions until you die" ever get resolved?  Last time I played I accidentally stood nearby a fire until I died.  The game isn't worth playing when any given attempt to craft, read, or simply wait for the rain to end can kill you.

Some tasks are much more interruptable - for example, you now get a warning when a hostile creature gets too close to you so you can safely ignore nearby smashing noises if you're tough enough to take down a zombie without terrain advantages. I don't think that overheating yourself to death has been fixed yet, but then, I tend to avoid using fire as a weapon (fire is not your friend, it hates everyone).
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8981 on: November 15, 2013, 12:42:26 pm »

So I'm curious - static spawn vs dynamic, is it the same number of zombies or does static spawn spawn less?

Some tasks are much more interruptable - for example, you now get a warning when a hostile creature gets too close to you so you can safely ignore nearby smashing noises if you're tough enough to take down a zombie without terrain advantages. I don't think that overheating yourself to death has been fixed yet, but then, I tend to avoid using fire as a weapon (fire is not your friend, it hates everyone).
That sounds exactly like it worked previously.  And at the time, I wasn't using fire as a weapon, I was demolishing a building so I could collect the delicious rebar to begin producing a suit of full plate armor.  Instead, I sat in my vehicle outside the fire, and died of dehydration.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #8982 on: November 15, 2013, 12:51:16 pm »

Why don't you deconstruct vehicles for scrap metal? Seem easier to me.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

azmodean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8983 on: November 15, 2013, 01:23:13 pm »

Frankly I have no idea what to do about your particular use case, you didn't take damage or anything, no threats appeared, you just told the game you wanted to hang out for a while in a dangerous environment. That is if I'm understanding what you're saying, you went in your vehicle, within 30' or so (5 squares) of a towering inferno and waited for some fairly long amount of time.

If things are working as intended, you would have had to miss or ignore quite a lot of "you're overheated" warnings in the log, the body temperature indicator progressing to fairly alarming colors ("HOT!!! in red if I recall correctly), and your thirst indicator ticking up through 5 stages of thirst before you reached a point that could kill you.

If those warnings didn't happen, we can look at fixing that.  Possibly we can interrupt long actions based on acquiring dangerous conditions ("very hot" or "very cold" probably qualify).  Which might have saved you, unless you were already overheated and just didn't realize that it was dangerous.
I don't think Jesus died from thorns being pushed into his brain. RTFA

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8984 on: November 15, 2013, 02:17:37 pm »

Also, girlinhat, you are aware that you can press a button to stop doing whatever it is you are doing, right?
Pages: 1 ... 597 598 [599] 600 601 ... 1086